Not a Good Day

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by willsgirl, Jul 16, 2007.

1. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Well, I didn't get the job I interviewed for last week. The other (the big district) did not call and their posting dropped off the site just now. Other than the app I just faxed to a new posting, there is nothing left in my area (no more than 1 hour away...that's the limit). This includes surrounding states.

You guys have been so supportive and kind. I have gotten many ideas and strategies from your imput. In the end, I guess, due to my poor judgement and rash decisions, I guess I will be entering the realm of the unemployed/unemployable teacher. It's so sad. I was always proud to call myself a teacher, even though it has been a short career. I don't know what God wants me to do with my life but it apparently isn't teaching.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Don't give up yet. There's still like another month until school starts, and a lot can happen in that time. I know that positions at my school opened up a week before classes started due to a variety of reasons: licenses not getting approved, teachers changing their minds, extra classes opening up due to higher than expected enrollment.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

What did you mean by this?

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

1. My first year was a disaster. I was not renewed. In retrospect, I should not have taken the job in the first place but I was desperate in a very tight market at the time.
    2. Subbed the second year. Kiss of death around here.
    3. Quit my last position cuz it was horrible. Over half the staff left, and it was a small school (entire district no more than 200 kids). Superintendent has a reputation known throughout much of the state as running a really bad school. Provisionally acredited and liable to loose it's acredidation in a couple of years under her leadership. Hired (cultivated???) a principal who has a history of DUI among other things. Many of us felt that the place was truly hurting our chances of finding good employment (due to the reputation). I quit because I thought I could find a job (everyone else did)and because I could not suffer the financial hit if I resigned after April 15. They would have retained 75% of my summer pay.

HIndsight is better than foresight. I should have perservered during the end of the first year to go with a reputable school, but I really didn't know what I would be getting into. I was afraid I wouldn't find work, and took what I could get. Which is where I am now.

Las Vegas is looking mighty interesting. Wish my husband would consent to moving.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I know that all those things might make it seem like getting a good teaching job will be impossible, but they won't. A good principal in a good school and district will recognize that you may have just had a string of bad luck. It's not awesome to not get renewed, but it's not super uncommon either, especially as a beginning teacher.

Vegas is wonderful, I'm telling you! We have so many amazing things here.... It's about 110 degrees outside right now, but I can drive up to Mt. Charleston (seriously, less than 30 minutes in the car) and the temperature will drop about 20 degrees. We have all kinds of wonderful shows on the strip--magic, Cirque du Soleil, burlesque. We're within driving distance of the Grand Canyon, LA, and a dozen state and national parks. I think the school district is very good, although it does have some of the problems associated with larger districts.

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Thx Cassie. You're so sweet. Thx for the virtual tour of Vegas...almost better than watching CSI! I love the west, was born in Arizona, and had family there for years, although no longer.

8. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 16, 2007

If you could relocate closer, the baldwin county schools in alabama is looking for teachers. Balwin county is right along the gulf.

9. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Thank you. If it was just me, I would move in a heartbeat. But my husband refuses to move (heck, he won't even go 50 miles in any direction from home) and I still have a son in school. Maybe in a few years...

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

There's a HUGE Difference between unemployed and unemployable!!!!!

And you KNOW that!!!!

The only advice I can offer you (other than some immediate ice cream therapy) is to apply everywhere, whether or not there's an opening posted. Do it tonight: email a copy of your resume and cover letter to every single principal in every single school (public, religious, charter, other) you can find within a 45 minute commute. Then, just for fun, extend the commute by 10 minutes and do those schools too.

Do it NOW.

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Alice I feel just like willsgirl. In fact, she and I are having very similar careers. I was not renewed at my school (shouldn't have taken the job when I found out what it was, but I needed a job). I feel that people aren't going to want me because of this and that I'm much older than people I'm interviewing against. I have great interviews then don't get the job. I do want to send out letters to schools, but honestly I don't know how to find schools within an hour of my house. I've made a list of the schools I know of, but I'm probably overlooking some schools. Any suggestions?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

To find a list of schools in a certain radius, I recommend going to each district's web page and jotting down the names of all the schools you see. You can usually find school lists in the school webpage list or else in the contact information list.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

THe internet and phone book are your friends!!!

Google "schools in" and name every village/town you can think of.

Get a hold of a map, either Hagstroms or online, and look at every town there too.

Us this for private schools http://www.privateschoolsreport.com/county.html and for any villages you haven't thought of. California uses Edjoin, right? Take a look there, and find every single school within your commute whether or not they have an opening.

Then hit the LA Times and any other semi-local paper. Go to their online help wanted ads. (Do that today; lots of schools post the ads only in the Sunday papers, so yesterday's ads are still fresh.)

And, for the record, I'm 48 and got 2 offers last year I didn't take so that I could return to my old school. I'm not sure that ageism is the problem so much as a flooded market.

14. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Also, check www. greatschools.net and type in the name of a school you know. It will list others within the vicinity (with their addresses) for you...public and private I think.

15. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Thx Alice. Had ice cream therapy last night. I have done these things, have blanketed the area. I continually recycle these possibilities. But...then I checked my email rather late and there was a reply from a principal I had talked to earliler in the summer. We have an interview Saturday (he's out of town at seminars this week and then apparently off to another next week.) See more details on your thread about banding together to help each other find jobs. Great idea!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Great news!!!

17. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I do want to thank you guys for your support while I was having my meltdown. This is the best site ever! I have a tendency to get down before I pop back up again. I am a fighter and I am going to lick this thing.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

Another place to find jobs is look at your state's web site, local ISD's also have listing of schools. Check the yellow pages for private schools.

19. storyh

storyh Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Don't give up hope! I know exactly how you feel. I have struggled to find a job ever since I graduated college. I got my first job my second year out of college as a Title I math teacher. I was hired the night before school started. Then I was without a job for a school year. In the fall I will be teaching third grade at a charter school about an hour away. It was one of only two interviews I got this summer. It is very discouraging, but hang in there.