Not a fan of the K-1 loop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 3, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 3, 2013

This year I have some students in my 2nd grade class who were with the same teacher for kindergarten and first grade. The kids seem to be doing pretty well, but the parents...Not so much. They are so worried about their children being separated with friends that they have been with since kindergarten. Some just seem to have an unnecessary "attitude" towards me, which I have never experienced before from parents. I just want to say to them, "I am not Mrs. ____!"

It makes me wonder if I K-1 loop is a good idea. For many kids, kindergarten is their first time in school. Is it a good thing to have them stay with the same teacher for their beginning years, and then go to a new teacher in 2nd grade?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2013

I don´t really know what I think about it. I think I can see positive points both ways (looping and not looping). I actually have never looped, so I don´t have any real experience in this. It seems like it could be a good idea for the two years (or so) when the students are with the same teacher, but what you are describing definitely sounds like a setback. I wonder if this could be helped by having a discussion with the parents (when the students just begin their looping and right before moving on to a new teacher) about some of the potential emotional difficulties the children could experience as they leave their comfortable classroom teacher and friends (and reassuring them that is normal and okay). This discussion could be given by the teacher or a counselor, stressing the importance of building new friendships once the loop is over, and the need for parents to realize the new teacher will do things differently and they cannot expect otherwise. I think a good talk about this will help the parents because they are likely responding to their children´s sadness of not being with their friends. If they are warned in advance, even with strategies of speaking and helping their children cope, the transition might be smoother.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 3, 2013

We loop at my school too and it definitely has its positives and negatives. When I take a new crew into fourth grade I sometimes get parents that miss the old teachers. But by the time they leave my loop they are attached to me. Go figure.:hugs:

5. kab164

kab164 Companion

Oct 3, 2013

My daughter had a wonderful experience looping k-1 and I've heard the research supports it. It would be great if you loved your class, if not, it could be a loooong two years!

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2013

I let my parents know that I am a lot different from Mrs. 1st Grade. Our personalities are a lot different; however, I am going to do my best to give your child the best education possible. I also remind them that 2nd grade is a lot different from 1st grade.