Not a Classroom...

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by TeacherC, Sep 15, 2006.

1. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2006

...but I got an interview for a TA position...they seem to be popping up all over the place!
    I know that a lot of you are TA's...should I wear a suit like a regular interview?
    I'm just excited about the prospect of having something full-time!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 15, 2006

This has been discussed several times and people have varying opinions, but I say wear a suit (if you have one) for any interview you go on whether it's for a teaching, assistant, or subbing position.

4. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

I would agree with wearing a suit! If you don't have one I'm not sure if it would be worth going out and wearing one or not. Better to be over-dressed than under-dressed :)
    Best wishes for your interview!

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 15, 2006

This summer a lot of the people who interviewed me for TA positions were not wearing suits. But I would say now that shcool is back in session, it would be a good idea to wear a suit. Show them the job is important to you.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2006

I do have a suit...I just wish that I had something other than a "suit jacket" to wear with the rest of the outfit. I hate shoulderpads! I look like a linebacker. Hopefully that doesn't give the image that I tackle little children :p

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2006

Upsadaisy,

Are the sholder pads removeable? If not they are only held in with a few threads, trying taking one out and see how it looks....I do that with jackets I get from my mom all the time, they always look better.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 16, 2006

TeacherC, I've never woren a suit. I dress to look nice and presentable. In fact, I have these wonderful plaid blouses from Cabin Creek with plaid tanks and solid color slacks to go with them. I bought them at JC Penney not long ago when I began my Substitute Teaching and have been wearing them ever since.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2006

Update

Well, the interview was this morning, and since my references are "glowing", the job is mine as long as HR approves everything!! It's for a TA in K, which is not perfect, but it's a job! :D

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 21, 2006

Happy for you. Your pants and your blouses will be perfect, working with the Ks.

11. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

I was thinking about the "suit" question today....I'm planning ahead for next Spring when hopefully I'll be interviewing....do most of you wear a suit for your interviews? In CA the Summer's are pretty toasty....100 -108...would you still wear a suit?

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 21, 2006

I went on two interviews this past July on the two hottest days of the summer...about 100 degrees with 95% humidity...and I wore a suit both days. Both times I was told by the principals that I could remove my jacket because it was so hot, but I think that walking in wearing the suit still makes an impression.

I've never worn a suit to actually teach. I normally wear nice blouses or sweaters and nice dress pants, but I've worn a suit on every interview that I've gone on.

13. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Congratulations TeacherC!!!

14. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

Congratulations on your new job!!

15. shortee

shortee Companion

Sep 22, 2006

I've never worn a suit to an interview. I wear nice pants and a nice blouse. Too hot here and I'm just uncomfortable in a suit. I've been on 5 interviews and have been offered 4 of those jobs. As long as you look professional and neat and clean I don't think you have to wear a suit. Just my opinion.

16. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Thank you Beth2004 and shortee for your replies. I once wore a suit to an interview but felt totally uncomfortable, not my style. I usually wear my Sunday clothes...but was just considering the suit idea. The two teaching jobs I have had were offered to me because I was at the right place at the right time....not because I was wearing a suit. Just wondering.....thanks!

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 22, 2006

I bought this summer at Kohl's a 3/4 length black suit-type jacket that's the same brand and almost the same material as a pair of pants I LOVE. It's what I wore as my "suit" this summer.

18. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Thanks clarnet73...I'm going shopping this weekend....maybe hit some good end of summer sales.....Happy Birthday to You

19. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2006

I would wear a suit to any interview for a teaching position. It shows that you take it seriously (not that someone who doesn't wear a suit doesn't); but it can't hurt either way. On hot days, put the jacket on right before you walk in the building, and take it off as soon as you can. It's hot, but if you get the job, it would be worth it.
    Thanks for all the congrats on the job. It's a lot different than what I am used to, and it's not great, but it will do for the year. I'll need lots of tips as I have never dealt with kids like this before! Thanks :)