North Carolina

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 23, 2015.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2015

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to North Carolina - Durham - with the goal of seeing if I *might* consider moving there. Do you know about this area? Must see/do/try (shopping, restaurants, museums, parks, theaters, anything!) ideas for me? I'm even going to look at houses in the Triangle area. So tips on neighborhoods, especially up and coming ones, would be nice.

Thanks!

Edit to add: forgot to say, any info on transferring teaching credential from California to NC would be VERY useful...

3. summertime

summertime Guest

Jun 24, 2015

North Hills is a nice shopping center. I can't tell you much about the Raleigh/Durham area, but I have heard that Wilson (about an hour away from RDU) is growing. I usually hear more positive things about Raleigh than Durham (in terms of living), but I'm sure it just depends on where exactly you are. I don't know about the teacher job market in RDU, but NC in general is in need of teachers. It is typically not too difficult to get a teaching job, but the pay isn't that great, either. I am pretty sure NC has reciprocity with CA, so you shouldn't have a hard time with your license. You'll have to check the state website for specifics.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2015

I'm from Durham, born and raised! I love it here. And I apologize in advance, but I get a real bee in my bonnet when people talk smack about Durham (in comparison to Raleigh and Chapel Hill). Especially people who have never even visited this city!!!

Durham is a GREAT place to live and work. The city center is becoming so beautiful and there's tons of great restaurants, bars, and parks. Of course we are home to Duke University which has a beautiful campus. Duke Gardens is lovely all year round.

We have a minor league baseball team which is a lot of fun. We have the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) which regularly shows Broadway plays. As well as concerts and other things.

In the summer there's tons of free outdoor music, lots of food trucks, and bier gardens! Tour de Fat (the Fat Tire event) was held here last weekend. The National Beer Festival is held in Durham. Durham regularly scores as one of the "tastiest cities in the south".

The cost of living is cheaper than the neighboring cities- Raleigh and Chapel Hill, and the culture is so much more inviting. People who live in Durham are proud of their city. They love it here. And they live here for a reason.

I will be honest- working in schools in Durham is definitely rougher than working in the neighboring towns. Almost all of our schools are Title 1 and you need to be prepared for what comes with that. But I love it here. I love living here. I love working here. And I will NEVER allow my address to read "Raleigh, NC".

(Feel free to message me if you want more specific recommendations)

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 24, 2015

My sister lives in Cumberland County. The school my nephew attends is phenomenal (they bought a house in a particular area, though, so he could attend a certain school).

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

A friend, who is not a teacher, says she rarely hears good things from her teacher friends, due to the lack of unions in the area.

Good luck in your travels!

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 25, 2015

Thanks for the replies!
    Summertime, thanks for the info re: raleigh vs. durham. I wonder what typical teacher pay is there. It is HIGH in my neighborhood in the SF Bay Area, so I'm sure it will be shocking - BUT - I can't forget, I can probably buy a home free and clear for the amount I could make selling my condo here. That'll help with cost of living, right??

Lucybelle, I hear your enthusiasm for your home town. I feel the same about SF. I will MISS IT DEARLY if I move away, but I have to say, all my money problems would be solved by living almost anywhere else. I looked up the beer festival and it's not until October. What else should I look at for our visit? We will be there August 4-10.

Youngteacherguy, I'll look up that county.

Missy, that is good info. No union. I am very spoiled here with our great union, good pay, etc. Thanks for the note.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 7, 2015

I'm here! I've been looking at places in Durham and chapel hill. If anyone wants to say hi in person, let me know!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2015

I missed this post somehow. The difference between Wake County and Durham County is roughly $600 a year. First year salaries for both are in the $37,000 range, but it doesn't go up quickly from there. 0-4 years pays the same, 5-9 years pays slightly over $41,000, 10-14 years gives you roughly $47,000. (These numbers are only good for the two counties I mentioned.)

North Carolina has a state-wide pay scale, so the raise every 5 years is everywhere. Each district can pay a supplemental salary. Some don't pay anything, the highest I know of is around $9,000 with many years in. My former district paid about $2,000. Charlotte Mecklenburg starts around $5,000 and after 30 years goes as high as $8,500. (To compare, my former district starts at $2,000 and tops out only at $2,325 after 25 years!)

Here is a link
    to the (sad) state-wide pay scale. It starts at $33,000 and tops out at $50,000 after 25 years.

To give you an idea of how much it can vary:
    My former district- start $35,000. Max- 25 years- $52,325
    Charlotte Mecklenburg- start $37,946.70, Max- 30 years- $58,525.00
    Wake County (Raleigh)- start $37,867.50, Max- 30 years- $59,375.00
    Durham County- start $37,125.00, Max- 25 years- $57,250.00

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2015

Hope you are having a great trip! The cost of living in many areas of NC may help offset the salary.

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2015

I'm in NC and we've had 2 raises in about 8 years. Beware!

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 25, 2015

I'm back home now and enjoying my salary - but feeling a little misty for NC. It was lovely, really, with a slower pace, less stress, really great people, good food (I love that kind of bbq!).

Anyone there who wants to tell me why I should not move there?

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2015

NC is a great place to live. Maybe not a great place to be a teacher, but a lovely place to live.

As they like to say...

[​IMG]

14. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 14, 2015

I used to live in a neighboring town of Durham a while ago, but never taught there. I am very familiar with the area so if you are still considering moving there, PM me. I'm sure I can answer a ton of questions for you! :)

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2015

I hope you have better luck getting the NC teaching license than I did. I taught for 22 years--with an education degree--in private schools and never needed a license. When I came to public school in NC, I was on the phone with people (and in person) for over 2 years, and no one could tell me how to get the license. Finally, someone said, just send in for it and see what happens. I did, and got it. Strange how no one in the district or state could tell me.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 17, 2015

Weird! All's well that ends well? Or something like that...