North Carolina Certification

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hp123, Jul 26, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Hi there! Are there any teachers here from NC? If so, I have a few questions.

3. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 26, 2010

i'm from nc and teach in nc.

4. newteacherkt

newteacherkt Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I'm from NC and just graduated so I recently went through the certification/licensure process.

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I am an NC transplant...so I've gone through the whole have a license in a different state getting your NC one. I just got my 5 year license this week! I was so happy!!!

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

I'm from NC and a newly hired teacher here as well.

Congrats! On your 5yr license and congrats on the move as well. Where are you from?

7. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Thanks! I'm originally from PA (near Pittsburgh). I'm going into my 4th year teaching here in NC. Other than the extraordinarily hot summer we've been having, I love it here!

8. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I am another Pittsburgh, PA transplant who has been teaching (off and on) in NC since 2002.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

Another transplant.

What, exactly, is the question?

I simply wrote a check to get my license. Everything transferred. I didn't even have to take the PRAXIS.

10. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I had already taken PRAXIS in PA before moving...and the county I was hired by paid the licensing fee for me (I think:confused:)

I don't think the OP has come back and actually asked a questions though...:eek:

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

So far I have noticed that in NC there are a LOT of teachers from other states. ( I like diversity so I enjoy hearing where everyone is from.) My question is how did you hear about the job openings here in NC when you were in another state?

And yes the heat has been UNBEARABLE!

12. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I used teachers-teachers.com to find my position. Many were listed on there, then after I sent my resume and such through there, I went to the NC site and filled out an online app with the counties I was willing to work in. Then you can also look there for vacancies too. Hope this helps :)

Today was beautiful...only 82 degrees!!! I loved it!:lol:

13. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

Are there jobs?

Sorry everyone! We have a new puppy, so it is hard to get on th computer.

My question is the job market in NC. We are considering a move in the next year, and I wanted to get a feel.

Thanks

14. newteacherkt

newteacherkt Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

In my opinion, the job market in NC is tough. It seems to be looking a little better though. Once the budget was released I saw a lot of positions open up, but then quickly filled. Lots of teachers got laid off at the end of this past school year. I am a first year teacher and got a job so I feel extremely lucky.

15. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

It depends where you are looking...there were a lot of teachers toward Raleigh that got laid off at the end of the school year. The market is definitely tougher than it was a few years ago, but with some looking around you may be able to find counties still hiring.

Good Luck!

16. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I am from Georgia. When I was hired last year I just emailed my resume and a cover letter to schools and kept driving up for interviews until I found something. I am in the Charlotte area and things aren't too rosey around here. Seems like my district is more interested in firing than hiring. Hopefully things will change soon. I plan to look for something back in my hometown next year just to be closer to family and honestly to make a little more. The salary is a lot less here than where I am from and I am finding it hard to stay afloat. With that being said, I have learned a lot here and will miss it when/if I leave. Good luck to you!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2010

I applied to counties surrounding Charlotte- York (SC), Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Cabarrus, and Rowan. I just kept sending out resumes and checking websites.

I actually applied for jobs in about 5 different states. I would look up individual districts' websites and look at the openings. I found this to be the most accurate.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2010

It is tough, but it is still better than many other states. I come from one of the top teacher-producing states where there are thousands of applicants per position. In the three counties closest to my hometown, there was a total of 2 elementary positions posted for the upcoming year and neither were full time. Here, in my county alone, we probably had 15-20. However, a lot of teachers were laid off in surrounding counties, so the competition is pretty high.

For some comparison- the county I teach is has about 130,000 people. The county I grew up in has about 435,000 people- and they post their jobs along with 2 other counties in a consolidated thing.
    So, while it is not easy to get a job here by any means, there are places where it is MUCH, MUCH more difficult.

(I came to NC is 2007. That year, my county hired about 100 elementary teachers. 3 years later, that number is down around 15.)