North American Montessori Center (NAMC)?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by puff5655, Jul 5, 2008.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

This is a training program I'm considering, since it's only 7 months, online, and affordable. I don't plan to go into Montessori teaching specifically, but there are aspects of Montessori that I really like, and would like to learn more about.

Has anyone here been through their training? I wonder if it's worth it.

They are not associated with and AMI or MCI, but...

"we are registered with the Private Career Training Institutions Agency of British Columbia (PCTIA). We are also registered with the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) and the Canadian Association of Young Children (CAYC) and we are members of the International Montessori Council (IMC), the Pacific Northwest Montessori Association (PNMA), the British Columbia Montessori Association (BCMA), and the International Association of Montessori Educators (IAME)"

Suggestions? It does include some great materials.

Sarah

..and on a side note, I'm not sure if Montessori training is right for me at all.. I don't believe in requiring children to use materials in a specific way. I think that is the only disagreement I have with the approach, though.

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

If you don't believe in children using the materials a specific way then you are correct, Montessori isn't right for you.

4. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Hello Puff,
    I've looked at the online training you are considering, and I can tell you that it comes no where close to the caliber you would get from AMI, not to mention that some of the lessons are just plain counter to Montessori theory.... I don't think you can even find a job if you wanted to with that training, the job market is getting more and more competitive as Montessori gets more popular. But, if, as you said, you aren't going to teach, I suppose it would give you one person's view of the method.
    I have to say that I feel there is a HUGE misunderstanding of Montessori presented in this thread:
    The children are not required to use the materials in a certain way. If a child is being destructive, we would almost always redirect the activity or remove the activity from the child and offer another. A "No" is always followed by a "Yes". For example, you can't bang this (brown stairs) but you can bang this (pointing the child to the hammer work). The child is not overtly corrected, rather mistakes are observed by the directress and addressed at a neutral moment so that the child does not even feel aware that he did anything wrong. The child is free to manipulate, explore, compare and combine materials. The idea is to teach children care of the environment and care of others by respecting the materials.
    Now, there is a precise and exact presentation given to the child in the introductory lesson. The child is hardly expected to repeat this exactly. The initial lesson is so precise and exact because it gives the child a clear view of how to have success with the activity and also a model towards which to aspire. The second period of every lesson is when a child continues to work with the material and correct his own mistakes through the control of error (built into every lesson as a means for the student to correct his own work). As a matter of fact, if the child can do the lesson exactly, the lesson was poorly timed and the child should be ready to progress through the sequence.