Normal Request or Nah?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Evergreen, May 9, 2016.

1. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

May 9, 2016

Would a request from a newly hired teacher (for 2016/17) to visit a classroom at their grade level for a day (to see what a day would be like to better prepare their classroom) be welcome? Is this a normal request?

I want to ask, but I don't want to impose.

3. ChemCoastie

ChemCoastie Rookie

May 9, 2016

I would imagine it would be ok, however things may be different in your area. Of the several schools that offered me jobs this year, all of them except one wanted me to teach a class as part of the interview process and/or visit it after I signed my contract. The only one that didn't invite me was nearly impossible because it was about 1,500 miles away from me!

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 10, 2016

I can understand you wanting this, but some might not appreciate the request. Even though the schools that might be bothered by this are most likely in the minority, I'd play it safe and not ask.

anon55 likes this.
  5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 11, 2016

If I were in your position, I wouldn't ask either because I never know if the established teacher would take it the wrong way and think that I'm imposing. What I would do instead is see if the school assigns mentor teachers to new staff members. If there is a mentoring arrangement, I would share some of my classroom ideas with my mentor and ask for advice on them.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2016

I don't think it should be a problem for you to ask if you could observe in a school. There are many teachers who welcome the opportunity to share their knowledge. If testing is over for the year and things are beginning to wind down, it would be the perfect opportunity for you to see how a classroom functions. Anyways, I don't see the harm in asking. If I were a P, I would look favorably upon a newly hired teacher who wants to increase their knowledge.

7. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

May 11, 2016

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I've thought about it and I agree that they would probably be ok with it, but since they didn't offer it (and I don't know the school culture yet), I am not going to ask just to be safe.

I am also going to TRY to hold my questions about the classroom for my mentor/director in the late summer. I know that different schools are more/less welcome to questions.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 11, 2016

Oh I would ask!!! What is the worst they can tell you ? You could ask so many questions, maybe get TE's. We get startup money that we spend at the end of the year for new stuff for the next year. I know that some our teachers that are being replaced their replacements are getting to do their start up now instead of waiting or not even getting any new material they might need. I would so do it!!!!!!

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 11, 2016

I would ask! It can't hurt. It does not have to be the class for which you are the replacement teacher if that is uncomfortable. Most teachers in my school would welcome visitors.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 11, 2016

I don't see why it would be a problem at all. You'll be observing to increase your own knowledge, not to judge them on their teaching skills! If the P came to me and told me I was getting observed by a new teacher so they can be more prepared, I'd be honored!!!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 11, 2016

I've never seen this.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 11, 2016

I did this at a school many years ago. It was nice to get in and get a feel for things. That school went longer into the summer or else I wouldn't have spent the day with them.

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 11, 2016

If you're hired and have signed a letter of intent, ask the principal if one of the teachers would feel comfortable with you observing. I did, and I was so thankful to see the students and the atmosphere of the school. I only did about 2 hours and left quietly without disturbing the teacher and also left a "Thank You" note. :)