Noooo! They canceled my interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Briana008, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 7, 2008

I just got a call this afternoon from the AP at the school I really want to work in. I had an interview for Monday, but she had to cancel it because she just realized that I don't have an actual certificate in hand yet (I'm finishing my student teaching right now). She was very nice and said that they would definitely consider me once I get the certificate, but that doesn't help me any right now! Openings are hard to come by in this school and they want to fill the current one ASAP.

I know a teacher in the school and called her to see if there is anything I can do to change their minds, but she wasn't home. I don't want to just sit back and give up the job, but I don't know what I can do in this situation! It's just so frustrating and disappointing!!! :mad:

Thanks for listening to my vent...

~Briana~

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2008

I'm sorry, Briana, hopefully they'll me openings over the summer at the school when you'll have your certificate.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2008

as soon as you get it... apply within the distirct. They should have checked thoruoughly before getting your hopes up, but there really is nothing you can do about it. It's not a rejection look at it that way.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

When will you get your cert?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

I agree with MissFrizz. Once you have that certificate in hand, make sure you let that principal know!

7. momx3

momx3 Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I am in a similar position. I grad. in 1997 with teaching degree and a MRS. degree and quickly had 3 children in 3 years. I never took my then EXcet tests. I have worked as a Para this year in a wonderful school, while studying and taking Texes tests. The prin. has indicated that they would like me to take a pos. there, however she is filling spots right and left and I am still waiting on paperwork. I love the phil. of this school and my kids attend there as well. So I am just praying and hoping that there is still a position open when I finally get paperwork in hand. Test are now all taken. michelle

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 9, 2008

Briana,

I'm so sorry to hear that :( What county are you in? I am in Georgia too. I could help you out in finding something else in the mean time. Is this a public or private school? Many public schools WILL take applicants who are finishing their student teaching. In Atlanta, they just had a HUGE job fair on Saturday. The requirements were either a certificate, or applicants who are finishing up their student teaching.
    -hugs-

Let me know if I can help.

CJ

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Is this for an immediate job opening or for next year?

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Mom can you approach the P and let her know that your tests have been taken and you've passed?

11. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 9, 2008

Thanks everyone for your responses! To answer a few questions: my application for certification will be sent immediately at the end of this semster as soon as my current grades post (May 13). Then of course it will be several weeks until I get my certificate. I know this position will not last that long. The school is trying to fill a spot for a teacher who is retiring. The retiting teacher knows I am interested and has recommended me for the position, which may be why they offered me an interview in the first place. However, I never tried to hide the fact that I'm still a student. I know it was one of the first things I mentioned when I spoke to them (AP and P) at the job fair. We even briefly discussed where I am currently doing my student teaching!

I'm going to try talking to them Monday just to make sure they understand I've passed all the tests and even completed student teaching (I have one week left but it will be spent observing other teachers). Really the only thing I am waiting for is the final grade that says I pass. I don't know how successful it will be (in all honesty, probably not very), but I have to try something or I'll be wondering "what if?"

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted...

~Briana~

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

I'm surprised that they won't hire you contingent on your certificate if the opening is for next year. Sorry.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

The reason they don't hire/interview candidates without certificate in hand is because THINGS HAPPEN... It's quite expensive to interview/hire someone- think about all the hours reading resumes, scheudling interiews, interviewing, setting up demos, checking references... and then if the certificate doesn't come through it's back to the drawing board...Hang in there- your paperwork will cmoe through and then you'll go after your dream job. Get some experience subbing/volunteering in the meantime to build your resume.

14. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

if you have all the evidence that everything is in order except your grades...could you have the director of your program write a letter stating that you are in good standing and will be recommended for certification at the end of the term?

15. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 9, 2008

I'm surprised that they let you go because you don't have your certificate yet. I had the education dept. at my school write a letter saying that I would earn my certificate after all of my grades were turned in. I guess it's another way for them to narrow down applicants. Hopefully they will call you back for another position!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

In many districts there are HUNDREDS of resumes for each job opening- they have to draw lines...if they are not going to look at non-certified teachers (which is what you are if you do not hold a certificate) you have to just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going....

17. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Mar 9, 2008

I wasn't able to interview for a leave replacement position because my certification wasn't in hand. It was in process and I gave personnel a letter from my university saying that it will be in hand 2 weeks later. But, that wasn't enough because of past glitches/problems. It was a matter of 2 weeks! As frustrated as I was, I really can't blame them for this policy. Like czacza said, they have to draw lines somewhere. Although I finished student teaching and my certification was in process, I technically wasn't a certified teacher until I had the certification in hand.

18. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 12, 2008

It worked!

Well, I just got my interview back! Yay!!! :haha:

I took a packet to the AP that included letters from my university advisor and mentor teacher, official transcripts, and copies of test scores. When I talked to her, she mentioned that she was looking for someone broad-field certified and I am specifically biology. I told her that while I would like to focus on biology, I wouldn't mind taking an extra class of conceptual physics (the new "physical science" for 10th graders who aren't quite ready for chemistry) and that I could easily take the broad-field test and add it to my certification. The funny thing is, my university won't even offer a certificate in broad-field; we have to choose a specialty.

On my way out I also saw their new books from the recent adoption. I noticed there was an oceanography textbook (Life on an Ocean Planet). The teacher I was with mentioned that the class was ready to be taught, they just hadn't found a teacher for it. Are you kidding? That's the one class I want to teach more than anything else (yes, even biology)! I'm totally remembering that for my interview on Monday.

Wish me luck and thanks for the support, everyone!

~Briana~

19. smalltowngal

Mar 12, 2008

Sounds like things are looking up for you, Briana! Good luck! When is your new interview?

20. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 12, 2008

STG, it's Monday at 3:30. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

~Briana~

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2008

How wonderful!!!! It's a good thing your persisited. Let us know exactly how it goes. :)

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

Good for you!

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

Oh my gosh!!! Way to go! That is so awesome!!

We need to remember this thread! Be proud Briana!

LOVE IT!!!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 12, 2008

I wanna know!!!!

25. goodapple

goodapple Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

Way to go! I'll be thinking of you on Monday. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

26. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

One thing to note make sure that your transcripts also state graduated and the date. At my school it took our Registrars 2 weeks after grades posted for that to happen. Don't send in your transcripts till you verify that or you'll be delayed in certifying.

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2008

That's great! Good luck at the interview!

28. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 12, 2008

That's a good point to remember but thankfully in my case I'm just going for the certification. I am getting a master's degree, but it is in marine science.

Thanks everyone else for your well-wishes! I'll post an update next Monday. :)

~Briana~

29. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 13, 2008

Great news! Good luck!!!

30. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 13, 2008

Way to go:2up: Can't wait to hear how it goes!

31. momx3

momx3 Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

The P now knows I have passed and I now have all scores in my hand. I am not sure the position is still open as she has completed many interviews. - this has been a dreadful process - Admin. "lost" my emailed and confirmed app., it was found but entered into the system with an incorrect social. this was 4 week ago and it has still not be corrected. :eek:

32. ms_meagan

ms_meagan New Member

Mar 16, 2008

My school actually will give you a thing called like a 90 day certificate. It pretty much states that you are in your final weeks of school and that you will receive your degree in so many days. I know that a lot of schools around here are willing to accept that. Maybe you should check into seeing if that is an option where you are.

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

Brianna-

Be sure to post when you get back from your interview! I hope it goes great!!

Lemonhead

34. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

Yes! Let us know how it goes!!

35. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 17, 2008

Well, good news and bad news. I just got back from my interview and I'm sure they like me. (That's the good news.) However, the school board is telling them they can't offer the position to someone who isn't broad-field science certified. (Um, this is definitely bad news.) Apparently they don't have a whole lot of broad-field candidates (because the university won't let us--duh!) so there is a possibility that the school board will relax. There is also a possibility that they will hold the job until I pass the broad-field test (which I might do sooner than later, I need to check emergency registration dates).

I mentioned my other offer and they said to give them a call if the other principal starts pressing me for a decision and they'll let me know where they are. But I really don't quite know what to make of this interview. :unsure: The assistant principal told me that she was sure I'd be snapped up in a hurry, which is the second time I have heard this in two interviews. I wish she could just offer me the job already!!!!

Now I have to run to my reflections class. :down:

~Briana~

NewSpEdTeacher2017 likes this.
  36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

hmmm interesting. I don't get why the broad field matters if you are teaching a course it covers. Like if you are certifed in oceanography and physics and that is what you teach ...who cares?

Do they know all this particular college offers is non broad field?

Did they say they would hold the job for you until you pass? OMG that is great news, isn't it?

I got that snapped up comment, too. I didn't know what to make of it.

Lemon

37. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

I would think they would like to have a broad field cert because they will get more bang for the buck. The school board is thinking about what you can teach this year, next year and 5 years down the road. The more classes you are certified to teach, the better value you are to the district. I hope that everything works out - if at all possible you should really think about adding as many certifications to your license as you can.

38. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

Briana, I have no doubt that you will have a job! Its a just a matter now of when will you find out. Did you tell them your plans of taking the board-field certification test? Maybe they can pass that info onto the board.

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

Oh I see what your're saying. Maybe since she is going to take that test it will help and they will know they can move her around the following year if need be. Thank you for explaining INteacher!

40. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 17, 2008

Yes, INteacher, you're exactly right. The school board (and the school itself) wants a science teacher that could teach a variety of classes because depending on how the scheduling works out, they can't guarantee me that I will always teach biology (and oceanography). I understand that and it makes complete sense. What I DON'T understand is why my university tells us we have to choose a field???? This is a very large university with a lot of new teachers graduating every year, so it isn't like I'm an isolated incident. In my interview today the head of the science department and the AP both remarked that it is a big problem and they were going to talk to someone at the university about it. Doesn't really help much at the moment, but they were sympathetic to my plight.

I checked on the certification test and I can emergency register up until Friday for a test in 2 weeks. I suppose I'll suck it up and pay the $130 for the test plus $80 more in late registration fees. It's either that or wait until June 14 (I'm NOT waiting that long!). The test is also the weekend I was planning a trip to Nashville to see my brother perform with an indoor drumline but I guess that's out now. :down: I just hate that I thought I was doing everything I needed when I needed, only to find out at the last minute--not so much. Blech.

~Briana~

41. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2008

I hate it when unexpected things like this come up and how many times colleges don't have the necessary programs in place. And, it's a pain to pay that much for a test, but it'll be nice to get it over with. Especially if you would have to wait until June 14th. Good luck with everything Briana.