NOOO. Jury Duty the First Day of School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 21, 2009.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

I was scheduled for jury duty this week on Thursday, and of course I got picked. The trial started Thursday afternoon and ended with closing arguments about 4:15 this afternoon.

So now we have to go back on Monday, our first day of school, for deliberations. :(

Luckily, it's a civil case that only has 6 jurist, and the judge told us we can come in any time we want on Monday. The other members of the jury were sympathetic to me and agreed to meet at 2:00 p.m. I'll have to leave school early, but at least I'll be there for all of my first 3 classes and the first few minutes of my last class.

Still, I don't know what I should have my kids do when I leave.

Any ideas? I'm at an alternative school for kids who are just coming back to school after dropping out. Traditional stuff doesn't work. Most of them are nearing 20...

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

ouch...good luck :)

I have absolutely no helpful ideas

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 21, 2009

I wish I had something to help you. Maybe an intro writing activity? Like write the story of the last five years so you can get to know them without being there.

That really is bad timing!

5. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

I was summoned for jury duty last week - the second week of school. I returned to school after three days of absence, and the kids were wild! All the routines I had taught them the first week of school had vanished, and I had to start all over again. *Sigh* I don't mind doing my civic duty, but the timing of my summons couldn't have been worse.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Yikes. My best friend at school luckily got out of hers. She was about 10 numbers off from being called though!

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

I thought you could get out of jury duty if you're a teacher. Maybe it differs from state to state.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

Bumble, not in Texas... No work related excuses are allowed. Sometimes the judge will excuse you if you're self employed, but not usually.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

I'm sorry, but this really frustrates me. I know it would be opening a can of worms, but the system should be more flexible. How can they not understand that being absent for three days at the first of the year as in oldfashioned's case can negatively impact the classroom long-term? Or I think of my dad, a farmer...I can't imagine what he'd do if he were summoned during harvest time, for example.

Sorry, no suggestions...just venting.

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

In most states, teachers can get postponements until the summer months. I did. Andme, your dad can probably get a postponement til after harvest if that ever happened.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2009

Bandnerd, you teach English. Could the sub do a writing assignment or something with them? Could you assign a short story for them to read?

It stinks. But it's doable if you have no other options.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

I thought that anyone could ask for 1 postponement? Or is that just state by state? I've filled out the questionnaire a couple of times, but only had to go once & that was over 10yrs ago.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

Kpa, you can ask for a postponement here, too. It has to be within 90 days of the original subpoena. I already had mine postponed, so I had to do this one.

It's okay, though. I'll only miss about 30 minutes of my last class, and it will take them that long to go over the forms the school requires we give out the first day (free lunch, etc.) Plus they'll have to put up their computers because we don't let them take those home until after the first week of school.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2009

Both myself and my grade level colleague have petit juror summons for the weeks after school starts. We have to each call the night before and they tell you on the phone whether you need to come or not...I'm going to call as late as possible with the hopes that they fill their needs by the time I call!:eek:

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 22, 2009

I had jury duty the first day of school before. Yuck!

It's great that you only have to miss a little bit.

16. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Aug 22, 2009

My boyfriend is leaving on a year long deployment to Iraq on my first day. A month earlier and it would have been summer. A month later and it would have been long enough into the year to take the day off. Nothing you can do sometimes about the timing of these things...so I'll be at work on the first day. I'm sorry that you'll have to leave a little early. :(

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

I wish I could be called to jury duty, lawyers find out I have a JD and I am always challenged.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

I never get picked either--I worked for several years as a paralegal and my husband works for an insurance company. So I always sit around for hours to never get picked. I have always been able to re-schedule so that I go during summer vacation.