NOOK VS Ipad?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LilyGirl01, Dec 22, 2011.

1. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

Okay, I am at a dilemma here...

I think I may finally get off of my " it's better to be old fashioned and read a real book then look at a screen" soap box, and get a NOOK. A friend of mine is suggesting the Kindle Fire, but the Nook looks really good too. However, I have heard that you can do the same and more on an IPAD. So, what do you all think? Should I just buy the IPAD, or stick with the Nook? Thanks!:cool:

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2011

You will find a discussion on this at http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=153456

4. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

Thanks Dave!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

Well, that discussion is about the Nook vs Kindle...you are wanting opinions regarding one of these e-readers vs an iPad, right?

I have an e-ink Kindle and an iPad. I do not use the iPad for reading full books...I am glad to have my Kindle for that.

The e-readers now, though, have become outright tablets. It's just a matter of how nice or complete a tablet you want (the iPad obviously winning over even the newest Kindle or Nook).

There are YouTube comparisons available and many, many articles. :)

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

Yeah, I see two big differences to consider: first is the screen format. The "e-ink" format vs. the full-color screen is a big difference - I personally wouldn't want to read for an hour on a iPad or other color screen because it's like staring at a computer screen too long. So, if you're looking for an eReader, I'd personally probably chose one of the black/white ones with the "e-ink" feature, ruling out the iPad.

Next difference to consider is within the color screen/tablet category - in other words, if you are looking for a reader that functions as a tablet (can check email, surf the web, download apps, etc.) then there are a lot more differences, the biggest one being price. Fire is $199, iPad starts at $499. Most would agree that iPad is probably better not considering price, but once you throw the cheap price tag on the fire, it's not so close a call!

If you're looking to read books, I'd pick up a $59 "e-ink" reader. If you're looking for a tablet and don't mind reading books on essentially a computer screen, you have a tough choice cut out for you :).

7. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Dec 22, 2011

I almost got a Kindle Fire, but ended up getting a Nook Tablet. The big difference between the two is that you can use a SD media card on the Nook Tablet to add more space, but you cannot add any more space on the Kindle Fire. Also, the Fire is $199 and the Nook tablet is $249. Neither one is the same as getting an iPad, but for me the Nook tablet was all I needed. The ability to read books, use some apps, access mail, and for the price it was better than spending money for an iPad. It really depends on what you are looking to get and use for your money.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 22, 2011

The e-ink kindle is great. If you are considering an iPad, get the ASUS Transformer EEE PC TF101 for $379 (and save $120)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2011

Well, I broadened the topic in that other Kindle vs. Nook thread on page 4 when I asked what the difference(s) were between a Nook & a regular computer tablet, but it's good that this thread was started as well. I don't know squat about Nooks & Kindles, but I made a spur of the moment purchase & got a Nookcolor because HSN had a good deal for $229.95. The features I have are as if I had a Nook Tablet. I just got my Nook in the mail the other day & am starting to read the user guide.

There are a few backgrounds & fonts to choose from so it's not harsh on the eyes. Aren't regular computer tablets from Mac, Dell, HP, etc. at least a few hundred dollars? My purpose wasn't to get another computer. I already have a desktop & 2 laptops. I mainly wanted to read magazines & books, but yes, my Nook has internet & email capabilities (when there's wifi nearby) & if I pay extra, I could watch tv shows & movies, which I don't care to do.