Nook or Kindle??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, May 27, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Thanks Caeser. Are you happy with your Nook, or do you wish you had gotten the Kindle instead?

2. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

If you buy the 3G version for $50 more, then you always have an Internet connection. You do not have to pay monthly for it like you can for a phone with Internet. The other version is wifi, so it connects wherever there is wireless Internet. I have wifi at my house, so I just got the wifi version. A lot of people love the 3G though, especially when traveling and you don't know what places will have wifi.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Hmmm, I see. And so only the Kindle has that feature? Honestly, I have my iphone, and if I download a lot of books ahead of time, I don't really see the need for constant internet access (especially if you happen upon free wifi hot spots)

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

I'm not sure if the new nook is offered with 3G or not. I think the original nook was, but I'm not sure if they're still offering that version. I haven't had any problem with needing 3G. I just download books ahead of time-I have more than I could ever read on my kindle.

I'm sure you'll like whichever one you get. I love my kindle, but I love it because of the screen and how easy it is to get books. I'm sure that I would love a nook if I had one too!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

I love my nook! I think I would have been happy with a Kindle, but for me the nook is better. I like the fact that it doesn't have buttons (who needs buttons on an e-reader, anyway?).

My nook is not the 3G version. My home wi-fi is enough for me, and when it's not there's free wi-fi at so many places these days. Before traveling, I just download everything I want for the trip. If I traveled more frequently or for longer periods of time, I might go ahead and invest in the 3G.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 9, 2011

With the Kindle 3G, if you jailbreak it (Something that voids the warranty), you can use the Kindle as a wireless hotspot.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

Just a note regarding the Nook battery life: never turn it off. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it really does prolong the life of the battery. (I was given that advice from the Nook people at BN, and, like someone else said, I can go nearly 2 weeks without recharging... as long as I'm in airplane mode.)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

Definitely correct! It'll go to sleep on its own after each use.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

I use the little keyboard often when searching for new purchases, when playing vocabulary games, and when on Facebook. I won't sit in the living room and check Facebook (since I'd rather just go to the office), but when I'm bed and finish reading I'll sometimes check in or play a game.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

I mean actual physical buttons. It just seems like a big waste of screen space. My nook has a touch screen, so I can use it when I need to type but no buttons get in the way.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

I guess it's just more comfortable for some to have the traditional buttons. I don't know if I'd want the on-screen keyboard taking up space when playing a game that requires I type (I don't have another gadget for those applications). That said, if I had my druthers I'd probably have a Nook, but mine was a gift from my husband, so of course I absolutely love it:wub:.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2011

I bought a Nook Color as a present to myself a couple of weeks ago. Then my husband bought one too. We both love it. The Nook Color's battery doesn't last as long but I love the color for magazines, kids' books, games, etc. I use it mostly to read. My husband uses the internet, games, apps, etc. It doesn't come in 3G and I forget the reason why. I always have a couple of extra books downloaded. I have decided to budget myself - it is so tempting! Lunch out or a book - I can't have both is my current budget strategy. We'll see if that works.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

I was really worried that I'd overspend and buy tons and tons of books once I got my nook, but that hasn't happened. I got two giftcards at Xmas and linked them to my nook. In the 6 months that I've had my nook, I've spent around $25 on books! I bought the Hunger Games trilogy and a few 99-centers. All the other books I've downloaded, and there are around 500 at this point on my nook, were free. Most of them have been very good.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

Same here, Caesar! If you know the right places to look, there are TONS of LEGALLY free books out there. Nearly all of mine have been free!

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

I actually like the buttons-I was surprised, because I own a lot of other touch screen electronics.

I agree about spending money. I have over 1,000 books on my kindle. The ones I've paid for were mostly $0.99 (besides The Hunger Games), but most of my books were free. I need to stop getting the free books, because I have too many books!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Do you know if they sell some sort of case to protect your nook if you take it to the beach?

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

I have a trendy digital case for my kindle when I go to the beach. I'm sure they sell them for the nook also. I'm glad I have it, because I've had kids run past and kick sand and water on it. They sell more expensive versions too, but I'm just careful with the one I have. I've also heard that some people just use a ziplock bag.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Thanks for the link. I was just going to stick it in a ziplock bag, as my hubby suggested, but that one looks a bit nicer.

Oh, and I just purchased the Nook! :D

What did it for me was the keyboard that came with the Kindle. I just didn't need that feature and felt it was wasted, extra space.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Yay! I'm sure you'll love it! :)

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

I browsed through this thread again and a few people mentioned getting free books by liking certain pages on facebook. Can you guys share what pages they were?

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

Definitely like "nook". They have Free Friday selections from Barnes & Noble. Often they are quite good.

Also like "Cheap e-Reads" but be prepared for LOTS of posts from them on your homepage. I use a program called Better Face Book that filters my news feed posts automatically into different tabs, so I made a tab for anything posted by Cheap e-Reads.

To find free nookbooks from Barnes and Noble, go to their website and type in "0.00" and search for nookbooks. You'll find tons of free stuff. Some books are better than others, but lots of them are good.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

Thanks, I've liked Chap e-reads and Nook, and I joined Smashwords and Kobo. So, I am on my way! :)

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

I've liked Amazon Kindle, Pixel of Ink, Smashwords.

All of my books are free!

25. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 9, 2011

26. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 9, 2011

I love my kindle! But books for it are rather expensive. I have to say it is so much more convenient to carry that around then a bunch of books.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2011

I find this thread interesting, but I am too picky and too cheap to buy the books I want. Right now, I am reading a lot of the books that are turning into movies (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Something Borrowed, the Help etc.) I am assuming those aren't free. Or am I wrong?

On another note, (and this is for a graduate class project regarding what handheld technology device we would purchase for a school library) would you recommend a tablet pc or a nook color (or something else) for classroom use? I figure color would be the way to go with young kids, but if its color it doesn't have e-ink so why not go with a tablet PC? I suppose this is also a debate for an adult intested in reading magazines etc. in color.

I found the well-rated Asus Eee Transformer for $400 (tablet PC android-based). The color nook is obviously cheaper, but with so much added in features why wouldn't you want a tablet over a color eReader? I'm wondering if I am missing something. Can anyone shed light?

28. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

I think a Kindle would be better for a library setting because it is more like a traditional book. Easier on the eyes.

29. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

My husband likes his Nook much better than his tablet and now rarely uses his tablet. He gets his email, the news, magazines, plays games, etc. all on the Nook. He says the battery lasts longer, too.

30. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 14, 2013

I am glad I found this thread...

Here is my dilemma. I have an old school Kindle (black and white w/o ads) that I rarely use only because I have SO many books that I need to read first. I have used it for a few books that were either HUGE novels that I didn't want to lug around or simply because e-books were pre-purchased for me that I will eventually get around to reading (the Kindle was a gift btw).

Through my school I won an iPad and most recently a Nook. I know the iPad has e-book apps or something along those lines after reading some of these posts. I was on the fence about trading in the Nook for store credit and using some B&N gift cards I have to purchase a Kindle Fire HD, but now I think I am just getting caught up in having the cool gadget.

I am wondering if I should just get store credit for the Nook and look into some of the e-reader apps available for my iPad? I have no idea what I would do with so much money to B&N, but I am sure I could find a way to burn through it :)

Maybe it wasn't a good idea finding this thread because now I am at even more of a loss...ha!

31. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 14, 2013

That's what I am thinking!

Also, I am not very tech-savvy. It was only a year ago that I got my first Smartphone and I still don't even use any of the apps I downloaded.

32. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 15, 2013

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend using the iPad to read, as it has a non-eInk screen, which I vastly prefer for reading books.

I'd say trade in the nook, read on your kindle, and incorporate the iPad into your teaching

33. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 15, 2013

I just started using the iPad in my small groups and tutoring and the kids love it. I had to wait to buy a protective case and screen protector for it and even then I make them use hand sanitizer. I am a bit of a germaphobe!

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2013

I'll be getting an iPad issued to me on the job sometime in Feb, so I'm excited to learn all about it. By the way, I still haven't used my Nook that I got myself for Christmas, 2011...no tiime for leisure reading.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

I will read magazines on my iPad, but certainly not entire books. I did that once but only out of necessity. I do my e-reading on a Kindle.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2013

Oh, forgot to post my question...where does a person trade in their Nook?

37. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 15, 2013

You can return the Nook to Barnes and Noble for store credit if it's unopened. At least that's what I am thinking of doing with mine.

Although, if I return it I will have over $200 in Barnes and Noble gift cards and in-store credit...not sure what to do with that!

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

PM me for my mailing address. :p

39. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 16, 2013

Could sell it on amazon.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 16, 2013

Thanks guys. I better decide what to do pretty soon. The HD version has already come out. Any other ieas on what to do with a practically brand new Nook?