Nook Color

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StudentTeach, Dec 28, 2010.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Dec 28, 2010

So after reading through everyone's posts about the e-readers I decided to cave and got one with my Christmas money! I ended up with the Nook Color. Most of the posts are about the Kindle -- does anyone have the Nook and love it? Suggestions on where to get free books? Favorite/least favorite features? So far I really like it but I have yet to actually read a book on it (bought it a few hours ago) but it seems very charming!

3. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

I got one for Christmas, bought one for my daughter for her birthday in July and asked for one this Christmas. I love it! I downloaded three books Christmas morning. My local library loans ebooks so I signed up for that. Check the Barnes and Noble website they offer free books I believe. I haven't tried the wifi yet as I am not in an area that broadcasts. But it will be great when we travel. Enjoy!

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 28, 2010

I have had mine for a few months and I like it very much. I heard that you can get a membership to the Philadelphia library, which has the largest selection of online books. (I think that is the one)

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

Project Gutenberg lets you get all the classics for free, and the local libraries are a great source, too.

Also, if you have other friends that have a Nook, the "lend me" option is wonderful. My friends and I get together and decide who is buying what, and then we swap the books. It's awesome!

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 28, 2010

Ok, I have a question about the Nook Color. Isn't it just like the iPad but only for books, not all the other apps that the iPad has? They both show books like a computer screen right? I ask this because I know someone who bought an iPad to read books and magazines and I thought that it would have been cheaper to get a Nook Color if that really is all she is doing with it.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2010

Yes. It had a screen like an iPad or a computer, not like the E ink that the kindle and first nook have.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 28, 2010

I have the Nook (not the color). I love it. =) I downloaded a few books off of the Barnes and Noble website that were free and I use a website called feedbooks for other free books. I'm still amazed at how many books can fit on the thing! I have 350 on my Nook right now and there is still 87% of free space left…… I feel like I'm never going to get through them all!

You can also check out books from the library which is pretty cool.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

My BFs mom's friend started with a Nook Color and BF's mom got the kindle. Her friend took the nook back and got a kindle a couple days later. I hope you have better luck with it!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

I have the nook color and LOVE that I can also go online on it. I am still using my laptop, but it's great for checking email and things when out. I guess I could use my phone for that, but it is bigger. It will be able to do andriod apps soon, I think. Also, for children's books, there is color. Also, it will be able to do interactive books for kids. I like the touch screen.

The only bummer so far is that my friends with Kindles can get free classics, while on the nook, classics are at least 99 cents.

11. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 29, 2010

I have a Nook. If you go to a website called feedbooks (www.feedbooks.com) you will find tons and tons of classic novels for free. You have to download Adobe Digital Editions in order to get the books onto the nook but it's free. I think I downloaded close to 100 free classic novels from that site.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 13, 2011

www.smashwords.com

http://www.epubbooks.com/

Smashwords has both free and books to pay for. There are short stories and longer ones. The site has a prude filter so you can filter out some of the adult oriented books.

epubbooks I found yesterday. They have a lot of the classics for free.

You can find more sites by searching epub or ebook in a search engine. I like the epub format.

I got a nookcolor and LOVE it!

BN has a free Friday deal.
    http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unbound-NOOK-NOOKcolor-and/Free-Fridays/ba-p/493818

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

I've downloaded lots of books from Google Books. The older ones that are out of copyright are free. Last weekend I got the whole Oz series, DH Lawrence, Oscar Wilde, and Poe. There are thousands upon thousands of free ebooks available online.

If you go to the eBooks store at Barnes and Noble and search for "0.00" it'll pull up all the free ones.

I haven't tried the LendMe feature yet (because I'm waiting for a replacement nook) but I'm excited to try that soon.

I ended up getting a regular nook because I like how it isn't backlit. The nook Color looks good but I think it would cause me to experience eye strain.