Non teaching jobs for teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Overexperienced, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Overexperienced

Overexperienced New Member

Sep 24, 2010

Okay, I think I'm done with teaching.

I know I haven't posted on this forum before, but I've monitored this thread for a while. A little bit about myself: I have enough education degrees and credentials (all clear) to paper my walls with; 15+ years of teaching experience in every imaginable setting - traditional, bilingual, remedial, GATE..., I've served as a mentor teacher. I've even taught under a tree (and not just because of the weather :cool:)! Two years ago, my type of teaching (I worked with professional kids for the last five years) disappeared as an option of making a living. I've literally put in hundreds of applications since then. I do get interviews, but the result is always the same: "We were, um, looking for someone LESS experienced :eek: (translate: cheaper on the payscale)"

Frankly, I know of no other profession where experience is so unwanted and such an obstacle. In times like this, the experienced can always agree to work for less; only in teaching I simply don't have that option. Thing is, all I've ever done in my life is teach, tutor and train; so I wonder: are there any others who have left the profession behind and if so - what are some other industries which welcome those with a teaching background (btw., I do NOT have an RN degree) without having to go back to school as I simply cannot afford that right now (single mom)?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 24, 2010

Corporate America really does love teachers. When I started looking outside of education, I managed to get more interviews in the first week than I had in 8 months of looking for a teaching job. That said, there's a lot of stuff, if you're creative, that you can tailor your experience to. If you still want to teach, look into corporate training positions, but know that some learning and development departments (including in my own company) only hire from the inside, so you might need to take a different type of job and work your way into L&D.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 24, 2010

I just saw a job posting looking for experienced teachers to work for Scholastic Corporation. This sounds like a very interesting job. They are looking for someone who has the following skills:
    � A Master�s degree in education and/or education administration experience or Marketing/Sales or equivalent relevant experience is required. An advanced degree or certificate is preferable

� At least 5+ years of teaching, administration, general education and/or related experience

� Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal and leadership skills

� Strong computer skills (i.e., Word, Excel, Power Point)

� Knowledge of current issues and research associated with K-12 curriculum, instruction assessment and school improvement in general (i.e. NCLB, school leadership, school culture, data-driven decisions)

I'm sure you have most, if not all of these skills. Even though this particular job is not in your area, maybe you can find a company that deals with educational material close to where you live? I don't know if this is any help but it could be something to look into with your experience.

5. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 2, 2010

I don't know if this is an option for you, but in New Mexico, most schools are competing for more experienced teachers. Best of luck to you.