Non-Teaching Experience?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gutterballjen, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

As I'm filling out my numerous applications, I can't help but wonder....should I put any non-education related experience on there?

I've worked several office and retail jobs over the years, but am not sure if I should include those since it's been so long since I left those positions. In the past, I've worked as a marketing assistant, assistant manager of a children's shoe store, and a ballroom dance instructor, and a receptionist.

I'm wondering if I should add these to my resume as well. If I do I'll have to add a second page since it's already quite full. Would principals be more inclined to interview me if they know I've had jobs other than subbing and student teaching?

I'm starting to get worried that I'm not going to get a job, and I'm starting to feel a a little hopeless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

It really depends. DO they want or care. You would think my years of computer experience is good. No one really cares.

If they ask on the app, yes.

4. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 28, 2012

If you have teacher experience, I would focus on that.

5. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

I have my student teaching experience, a LTS position, and day to day subbing on my resume already. I'm just worried it's not enough.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

I have experience in other careers, and I have listed then towards the end of my resume. Most of them were professional positions. I put them in to show that I did not have gaps in my employment history. If you are young, this might not be such a big deal. But you could list a few if your resume looks sparse. I used the heading other work experience or something like that.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Don't include if you have to add a second page.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

One application required I provide a record of employment ten years in length, which meant I had to list every public job I had ever held begining at fifteen in the food industry. I felt that was so silly. If you were unemployed for any length of time, that had to be explained.

If I were you, I would not provide that information unless required.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

It really depends on the dates and how long you were employed. I skip over a receptionist position that I had for 18 months (I was laid off) and instead put a slightly older management job that I held for 9 years.

I have only ever had 6 jobs, though. And 4 of them overlapped with a full time job.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

I agree with czacza... if you didn't have teaching experience (or it was limited) I would add it, but otherwise, I wouldn't add it.

When I first started out, I had my daycare job on there, as well as my student teaching. After three or four years of teaching experience, I decided those jobs could fall off the list, and my teaching experience would suffice.

11. kellian1

kellian1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012

I have my non-teaching experience on the very bottom of my resume and it takes up all of 2 lines on the first page And that is covering 10 years of non teaching xp and 2 jobs.

As others have said, I don't think they really care about it (aside from the tech part...maybe) so I try not to make it a focus.