Non-Renewed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Isles2279, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Isles2279

Isles2279 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015

Hi all,
    This week I was informed that my contract would not be renewed by the school I have been at for one year. This is my third year teaching and first time I've been in this position, so I would love some advice. The circumstances which led to the non-renewal had nothing to do with my teaching ability and everything to do with how well I meshed with district administration and their intensive program for new teachers within the district. My reviews showed exemplary teaching skills and a need for improvement regarding collaboration (specifically with regard to the district's induction program (not BTSA...their own)) . I thought my Principal and mentor's enthusiasm regarding my teaching ability would trump the other factors I knew admin were not thrilled with, but obviously I was wrong. So, now I am being offered the "opportunity" to resign instead of taking the non-renewal. The problem is, I live in a somewhat sparsely populated region and am only credentialed to teach High School Earth Science (by choice), so the chances there will even be an opening at a local high school this summer are less than great. Therefore, I will most likely need to collect unemployment. How bad will a non-renewal on my record affect my chances of being hired elsewhere? Also, since I haven;t done anything unethical and continue to fulfill my contract, would there be any issue within the district if I worked as a substitute teacher next year? Any advice would be most welcome.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2015

Take the unemployment, explain to potential new employer just as you did here, and keep all evaluations that back you up. You are not losing a tenured job, and you were only there a year. Bad fit. That said, I don't believe that I would care to sub in a district that let me go. Too many chances to have to face the "pity, she didn't work out" face in people you know. Perhaps you could use the time to add other endorsements that would aid your job search. Don't resign unless you have an exceptional reason - you will have to explain that to a new employer, anyway. Take the money, find a great job. The hardest part is getting to the end of the school year without falling apart. I chose not to share until the last three weeks.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

Resign. Getting non-renewed is largely a kiss of death for your teaching career, especially if there aren't a lot of openings around. There are big parts of the country where your application will instantly be thrown in the trash if you have been non-renewed, no matter what your explanation was (because... well... they aren't going to waste time reading the explanation... they'll just instantly filter your application out).

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

First off, let me say that I'm very sorry to hear the bad news.

Secondly, please allow me to be very frank. I'm completely certain that my district automatically filters out any application that states the candidate has been non-renewed.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

Been there done that, I took the resignation, (didn't know about the non renewal before meeting going to resign because they were touch holes) still took me years to find a new job, but....a non renewal in my state is the kiss of death....still got unemployment, for me out was what I put in the resignation letter

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 5, 2015

I, too, have not been renewed. I've been here before and got unemployment, so I'm resigning. I wanted to leave anyway, but I really needed the job. It was my first teaching job in years. I'm a social studies teacher and there's tons of competition for jobs. I'm feeling more confident about a job in the fall than I was this time last year, though.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2015

Just curious - aren't you just a little skeptical about resignations that originate about the same time that letters of non-renewal go out? I would think that this would raise the same kind of red flags, but maybe it is more of a California thing? Not arguing - simply curious.

9. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Mar 6, 2015

I was non-renewed last year and I did not resign and took the unemployment. I have a job this year.

I think only one district I applied for asked about non-renewal on the application and I did get interviewed (not hired) by that district. This year it seemed like the job market here was much easier than the past few years.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 6, 2015

I am almost certain that all districts here in CA have a question on the application stating: "Have you ever resigned in lieu of non-reelection?"

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2015

If that is the case, resigning is no favor is it? You are in a bad way whether you ride out the year, and draw the unemployment, or resign because you are going to be non-renewed. I would choose to take the money in that case, but I could be looking at this all wrong. It is interesting.

12. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 6, 2015

I'm curious how any district would determine that someone resigned in lieu of nonrenewal. Around here, the board minutes clearly state that the employee resigned and there is no mention of renewal status. I would think any former employer would be very hesitant to tell a potential employer that a candidate faced nonrenewal with board minutes implying otherwise.

13. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 6, 2015

YoungTeacherGuy is right about that question...does you no good to resign because they will just ask if you resigned to avoid nonrenewal. I was nonrenewed after three years at a Charter last year and have a great job now. I did not disclose I was nonrenewed on the application and I took unemployment. I said we couldn't agree on a schedule for my 4th year, which is what precipitated my nonrenewal anyway, and said I quit. I had been looking for new jobs prior to being nonrenewed and told him if I continued to work 1.2 fte I would quit, so his nonrenewal after 3 years of service was really just to mess with me and my career. It benefited me in the end. I got unemployment over the summer and a better job in the fall. That said, I was terrified a potential employer would specifically ask him if I was nonrenewed. I was a finalist for 3 jobs and wondered if the first two had (Though he specifically told me at least the first had not). My third, fourth and fifth definitely did not, so I got it and now I am happier.

However, I think that, working somewhere for three years made it believabke that I quit because if you nonrenew someone, you do it within 2 years. Working somewhere for one year is suspicious.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2015

I've been non-renewed before. I took unemployment and simply admitted the non-renewal on applications. It was four years before I found my current position but... I did have interviews during those four years and possibly would have had more had I submitted more applications. It wasn't the best thing to have on an application but... it didn't seem to be a true kiss of death.

The way I see it, non-renewal or resignation are about the same boat.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2015

This happened to several of my coworkers at my last school (P was a nutcase and nonrenewed over half of the staff, and I can't think of a single one of them who actually deserved it), and basically our union told them that there is no way to prove that someone resigned in lieu of resignation, so they shouldn't answer "yes" to that question on applications. They told the P that she couldn't tell people calling for references that the person wasn't eligible for rehire, because "not eligible" could be interpreted as the person committed some crime or something that literally made them ineligible to work in a school, not just because they were a bad fit. OP, if you have a union definitely ask them. If you're going to have to say you resigned in lieu of non-renewal anyway on your applications, I would agree to just take the non-renewal for unemployment purposes.

This question has been asked on these boards a lot and it always comes down to regional differences. Some will say non-renewal is no big deal b/c it could be due to budget cuts. Around here that is called something different (RIF) and non-renewal is always due to performance, not budget cuts. I am also certain that saying you were non-renewed will get your application thrown out around here. My friends that put that on their apps did not start getting calls until they took it off, and then every one of them got a job after that. You need to get information specifically from teachers in your area.

16. Isles2279

Isles2279 Rookie

Mar 6, 2015

Thanks for all the great responses....I talked to the union rep today, and she said it was equivalent to a pink slip, but added that if I didn't resign, then employers would most likely place my application in the pile marked "Do Not Call Back". That seems pretty unfair considering I didn't do anything wrong, but what can you do? Since I can't count on a position in my specific field even opening up in this area with so few opportunities, I feel I have to take the non-renewal to ensure I receive unemployment. I will apply to any open positions, be honest, and hope someone is willing to listen and accept why I wasn't renewed. Until then, I guess I will have to substitute teach and hope aI get picked up for a position that way.

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 8, 2015

Yes, sub and network as well. If you can find a personal connection where you can explain better, you're in. A teacher who was non-renewed with me got a job at his wife's school just because of that personal networking.

18. slippers

slippers Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

It's helpful to read about how common non-renewal is these days, and how different areas handle it.

I resigned three years ago rather than be non-renewed. It was a weird and difficult choice but it was the only one I could take at the time. I have been teaching at a college part-time since then and also substituting at one school. This week the school asked me to apply for a position and so I did. When I looked over the application I decided to tell the 'truth' about did you resign in lieu of non-renewal and so said yes.

I mean, really, in this day and age what can you say? Plus, it's been three years and I have been very successful in other environments including this school. Since I submitted the application with the 'true' answer down I have heard nothing.

That seems ridiculous, so many people are thrown out on the trash heap of teaching, so to speak, that it should be known that it is a normal practice these days. I am a good teacher and the school I left three years ago continues to advertise very heavily all year long for multiple teaching positions. They loose people in the middle of the year all the time, and I actually lasted the whole year. : )

Anyway, I feel disappointed that this school that knows me know may not interview me because of that crappy experience three years ago during my first year teaching. With no help or support, I might add. Bleh.

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

I once applied for a job in a fairly good district in Western New York. I felt I had a good chance at the position. It wasn't particularly well-paying, I had a good resume, I knew people in the district, my letters of recommendation was strong. I never even got called for an interview. Why? Because 500 other people applied.

When you're sifting through that many applicants, being able to neatly sift out the folks who have been non-renewed makes things a little more bearable.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2015

I've been non-renewed before as well. I resigned, took unemployment, but did NOT sub for that district after that.

So many teachers get non-renewals these days & for the last several yrs, I wish they could be wiped off our records after so many (short) years, so we don't have to mention them anymore on applications.

21. slippers

slippers Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

Do you guys think that schools really value you on the fact that you were not renewed by a school 400 miles away, after your first year teaching? It's so hard to think that this school I have been subbing at and which seems to really like me now suddenly doesn't like me because a troubled school with extremely high turnover chose not to keep me.

Gosh, it's been three years and I have done alot of other good things in the meantime. Don't new teachers get any support or allowances for being new?

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2015

It's entirely dependent on whether or not they know you, and whether or not they have other options.

If you're applying to a school that doesn't know you and that has hundreds of other applicants... no, they aren't going to give you any allowances on the nonrenewal front.

If you're applying to a school that you have subbed at for years, and have good professional relationships with the staff and administration, or if you're applying to a district desperate to fill a position... then yes, they'll be more likely to look past a previous nonrenewal.

It's a sad fact of life that a nonrenewal early in your career can effectively end your career in some parts of the country, which is why any teacher presented with the option should resign in lieu of nonrenewal. A previous district cannot tell a prospective employer that you resigned in lieu of resignation. A reference can, but the district itself can't (and hopefully you wouldn't use a reference that would say something like that against you). The only thing the district itself can do is confirm employment.

23. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2015

If it's that long ago, and you have that much job history in between, just leave it off your resume and job history completely. Tell employers you were caring for your sick mother that year.

24. Newb

Newb Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

I was in this position a couple of years ago. They told me at the end of the very last day that I wasn't being renewed and refused to even tell me why. As best I can tell, the only reason was because the Assistant Principal I reported to (who had ZERO classroom experience and was extremely unprofessional and petty towards teachers) just didn't like me or 1/3 of the other teachers in the building, who all got non-renewed. In our state, they can non-renew you at any time for any reason if you're not tenured.

In our state, all a former employer can legally tell a prospective employer who's checking employment history are the dates you worked there and if you were eligible for rehire when you left. If your district has a strict "non-renewal makes you ineligible for rehire" policy this can bite you, so I'd take the resignation if at all possible. If they don't have that... you might have room to fudge things by saying that you resigned for personal reasons even when you didn't. That's what I wound up doing.

You've taught before. You were renewed both times. Build off that. Do NOT check the box on the application that says you were non-renewed (in our state, it's on typically included in a question alongside being fired with cause or losing a license), and instead check "NO" there and provide glowing letters of recommendation and reference from principals. If someone wants to hire you then and a snafu comes up, explain that it must be a mistake and contact HR in your former district to demand they stop illegally hurting your employment prospects or they'll be hearing from an attorney.

I got a job by the next year, though I needed a contact in the school and had to relocate 100 miles away for it. I got another offer after I accepted this one at a school where I had no contacts. I turned down another job offer last year.

Do not just "neglect to mention" the employer on your application. In our state, our teacher work history also shows up on our license and in the state's teacher evaluation system. That will come up as they're checking your paperwork. Then you look like you were trying to hide something.

Get some more certifications, if you can. And be patient and keep putting in applications and contacting people face to face, if at all possible. You'll be ok if you play this correctly. Good luck.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2015

Good suggestion! (I do have two elderly parents who are much older than the parents of most people my age who I help...not that the prospective employer will know all that!)

By the way, doesn't the employment app question ask if one has EVER been non-renewed, etc.? So even if it happened 10+ yrs ago, they should have to still put YES (according to what you say).

26. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 1, 2015

The way I see it is that there should be a clear distinction between a non-renewal of a probationary teacher and that of a tenured teacher. If a probationary teacher can be let go without cause or the right to due process, he or she should not be put in the same boat as a teacher who was not renewed for a reason that could have amounted to a loss of license or committing something illegal. Under the rules of tenure it is assumed that you do not have the right to a renewal during a probationary period, that being the case I see no good reason why a non-tenured teacher who was non-renewal without cause should be obligated to acknowledge the non-renewal on an application.

27. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 1, 2015

That. Good logic.