Non renewed next year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thewife, Feb 20, 2020.

1. thewife

thewife Rookie

Feb 20, 2020

My contract is not being renewed for next year. It is a huge disappointment not to mention very emotional to know that I will be out of a job. I am however not upset about not being in this position. It has been a very tough year. I had a lack of support even though I have reached out. I believe that the reason that I am not being renewed is because I was not liked by a co-teacher and that the reason I was give was just something that was easy to use but not a reason to non renew someone. My main question here is should I try to see if I can give a resignation or just accept the non renewal? How will it effect my chances of find another teaching job? I only have 3 years and I am not a traditional age new teacher.

I am also losing 6 weeks worth of sick days that I will not be paid for, which is a real bummer.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 21, 2020

Have you gotten official paperwork stating nonrenewal? If not, I’d get it in as soon as possible. You will likely not qualify for unemployment if you do, however.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 21, 2020

A non-renewal is not official until the School Board votes on it. If you have a union, check with them before resigning, because a district cannot non-renew unless they have followed the appropriate steps.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2020

Since many applications now phrase their question as "have you ever been nonrenewed or resigned to avoid being nonrenewed" you may want to consider whether or not you want to give up unemployment benefits by resigning. I say this because future employers will check with this employer anyway, who will give their take on your loss of job, so if they want to say nonrenewed, then it will come out that way and you may end up with it disclosed anyway, and you have lost your unemployment benefits. Are you an at will employee, as many charter schools are? If so, I might use that as my reason, so that you can state, truthfully, that you were nonrenewed as an at will employee, which would allow you to accept unemployment benefits.

Pancakes Deluxe, Lora C and Backroads like this.
  6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 21, 2020

Looks like someone needs to start feeling under the weather for the rest of the year.

Caesar753, Joyful!, grayling4 and 5 others like this.
  7. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 21, 2020

I have posted this response in the past and thought it may be appropriate here.

The way I see it is that there should be a clear distinction between a non-renewal of a probationary teacher and that of a tenured teacher. If a probationary teacher can be let go without cause or the right to due process, he or she should not be put in the same boat as a teacher who was not renewed for a reason that could have amounted to a loss of license or committing something illegal. Under the rules of tenure, it is assumed you do not have the right to a renewal during a probationary period, that being the case I see no good reason why a non-tenured teacher who was non-renewed without cause should be obligated to acknowledge the non-renewal on an application.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  8. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 21, 2020

Also thought this was appropriate to share
    On Sick Leave Edited.jpg

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2020

At least in California public schools, there is a difference between getting "pink slipped" or "RIF"ed due to the position being cut, and being non-renewed for performance reasons. The first situation is almost unavoidable as a new teacher in some districts. The second one is trickier because "performance reasons" often just mean "poor fit" which is really code for "someone didn't like you" or "the superintendent's son needs a job." It sounds like the poster is in the second category, which really sucks. I think submitting a resignation in order to avoid being non-renewed is probably the best course of action, but you should definitely ask your union, if you have one.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Feb 21, 2020

Before deciding to resign, get an opinion from your union rep. I was in the same position in the Spring 2017 school semester. A silver lining from this is you can really work hard on finding your next job. Use those paid off days to go drop off resumes. Go all over the place to where you’re willing to drive for work. You have a head start on landing your next position. Also, start bringing stuff home little by little.

Joyful!, MrTempest and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Feb 22, 2020

I agreed 100% with the poster above. Let this free you and allow you to use all that built up PTO to move on. I also second the notion to begin now bring home things a bit at a time. It makes a huge task much easier to break it up over time and that is one way to help relive some of the stress of the situation.

I was nonrenewed without cause and landed on my feet, making more money, with a better grade level team, and a WAY better principal and half the commute. This could be the best thing that ever happened to you.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 22, 2020

We do not necessarily care if someone was nonrenewed when we are interviewing.

All non-tenured teachers are on one-year contracts, so there are all kinds of reasons why people don't get renewed. One nearby district has a history of letting teachers go the year they should get tenure because they like to avoid getting into a position where they are not able to let someone go.

I was pink-slipped several years in a row in the same district. I had all positive evaluations, but with changes in schedules and student numbers, I was always the one let go due to seniority.

Hopefully you find something you like better.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Feb 22, 2020

And also about non-renewal... i think it depends on which state you are teaching at AND the subjects you are certified in that determine whether non-renewal is a career-killer. So again, get advice from a union rep before doing anything else.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Feb 22, 2020

I'm sorry you are dealing w/ that. I had never heard of nonrenewal before being on a teacher's board. I had 1 job where all teachers were pink slipped at the end of the yr if they did not have tenure. It happened to me 3 yrs in a row. The funding and population came through all 3x, and I'd get a contract w/ them later than tenured teachers.
    I think this "nonrenewal garbage" maybe coming from a place that they want slaves not teachers. It is benefitting them in some way or they wouldn't be doing it as common practice nowadays in some places. Anyways, use up those sick days. I'd be sick of the whole nonrenewal procedure.
    If you have a good union, definitely ask what your best move is and options.

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Feb 23, 2020

Also, have you asked your P, AP, and/or co-workers for letters of recommendation? I’ve been non-renewed twice but did secure excellent LORs and they really helped me land my next jobs. Since you already know you’re not coming back next year, you don’t really have to sneak around to ask.

MrTempest and RainStorm like this.
  16. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 24, 2020

This is really a disgusting practice that should be addressed at a state level.

whizkid and Tired Teacher like this.
  17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 28, 2020

So... Funny/depressing story.

I got non-renewed today. The story seems to be that due to low enrollment the district said a teacher had to go and it had to be a district provisional teacher and there's just not very many of those. So.. it was me or one other person and wound up as me.

Can't tell if it full-out sucks or of it's just as well with a baby coming and daycare costing what it does.

Didn't mean to threadjack, but I already did submit an application today... And said I was non-renewed (despite no official paperwork yet).

Why?

That question they all ask about it anyway. They're going to pry one way or the other. So I figured I might as well admit it and provide the circumstances in the little box that asks why. (A genius thing for getting the facts).

CherryOak and Tired Teacher like this.
  18. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 28, 2020

I’m so sorry. It sounds more like RIF though? Do you think it has anything to do with having a baby on the way? Because that would be completely illegal!

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  19. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Feb 28, 2020

. I am so sorry! I think you def have a case against them if they riffed you because of being pregnant. Just mentioning it to someone higher up might benefit you! I hope they plan on paying for your medical costs! At the same time, I think you would probably love staying home w/ your baby if you can afford it.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2020

Gratefully, it is truly RIF, so shouldn't be a problem going forward. Sorry that it is one more thing on your mind during this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up calling you back because enrollment numbers go up. You will at least be eligible for unemployment benefits. Keep us updated.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 29, 2020

I can't decide. My principal honestly seemed very sorry about the matter. If so, I don't know if it's provable.

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 29, 2020

We actually were talking about me staying home this year. It would be financially possibly impossible, but here we (potentially) are.

I confess, part of me says "this solves maternity leave".

And yes, I'm medically covered for some time yet.

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 29, 2020

Backroads,

Being able to stay home with a baby is one of the best gifts you can give to your child -- although it is one that most people cannot afford to give. Sometimes God and the Universe send us messages. Maybe this is one.

You said you have insurance, so that is good.

When are you due?

MrsC and Tired Teacher like this.
  24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 29, 2020

That stinks. Hope you find something that works for you and maternity leave.

On the positive side, a RIF non-renewal isn't really concerning for future employers. I had them every year until tenure. I was rehired by the same district each time. One year I got my pink slip and a job offer the same day.

25. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 29, 2020

I find myself wondering about that! First off, the baby was unplanned despite our greatest care to the contrary. Now this. It seems very much like fate intervening. And it would be nice. My other kids were home for roughly a year.

I am due early July.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 29, 2020

You might even be able to find a second semester job for next year.

MrsC and Backroads like this.
  27. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Feb 29, 2020

They won’t say something that would make their decision illegal. So they’ll say something else like we had to cut someone because of numbers. And since you know now instead of the last day, you’ll have time to plan your next move(s).

MrTempest likes this.
  28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 29, 2020

I suppose that illegal is one way of looking at it, but sometimes the facts support their explanation, certainly are in keeping with other RIF's I and others know about, and since numbers of enrollment can be quite variable, I would be inclined to believe the reasons given. I should state that I have pretty good radar when it comes to snow jobs that are shady, and this doesn't set off any bells or whistles in my head. Pi-R-Squared had a shady admin that set off all the bells and whistles, but this doesn't feel that way. I'm inclined to believe the reasons given.

29. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Feb 29, 2020

Backroads,
    I am so thankful you are covered on insurance. It is doable to live on 1 salary. You just have to cut back and the joys and benefits of staying home w/ your baby will far outweigh the joys you get from restaurants, movies, and vacations.
    I stayed home the 1st 5 yrs of my 1st one's life. I'll always be thankful for that experience. We didn't have a ton of $$, but we still had a lot of fun! The 2nd 1 I couldn't stay home as long as much as I wish I could have. I refused to have a 3rd one unless I was guaranteed to have the next 18 yrs off....lol We decided to stop then at 2.
    I believe like you, things happen for a reason. If you were really trying not to, and got pregnant anyways and were worried about daycare and then this happened, I'd take it as a message. I wish you the best and enjoy every minute you have to enjoy the precious baby you get! <3

Backroads likes this.
  30. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Feb 29, 2020

When I started out, a teacher yelled at me in front of the class for letting 3 high schoolers use the bathroom at the same time. I said I was sorry, but being humiliated like that really rankled me to the bone. I didn't know her name, then another time I was there I saw her in her classroom, and figured out who she was. I subbed for her a few weeks later, she was Math but I didn't care. I babysat most days anyway. I ate a big crumbly cookies at her desk leaving crumbs everywhere. I made sure to leave a few nails and hairs too -

31. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2020

...and that's the kind of mature teacher that I would want setting an example for my students...

32. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Mar 1, 2020

The wife:

I was nonrenewed last year due to my principal having to cut a position because of declining enrollment. I did not resign. I started looking for another job immediately in the district. I have 16 years experience and I think that made it difficult to land another job (I had tons of interviews and no offers for months) but I finally got a job and I love it. So much better than the last one. So hang in there and try not to get down on yourself.

33. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 2, 2020

This is very good advice and perspective. Stuff happens.

@thewife , accepting the nonrenewal or choosing to resign (which you should be able to do in most circumstances) is really a choice for yourself and perhaps the local culture. Again, in my vicinity, applications are prying anyway to see if you were non-renewed, so I see no reason to hide it. You can tell your side of the story and you can collect unemployment if needed.

When I was young and lost my first job, I was devastated. I was truly convinced it was a death strike against one's career. I've see enough now to know it's really just one of those things about careers--people lose jobs. Maybe 10 years ago it was a career-destroyer in teaching, but I don't think it's the same these days.

Good luck to you!

34. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 2, 2020

If I could convince my husband to temporarily cut back on investments (which is about $700 a month), I really think we could manage. I'm also thinking, worse-case scenario, I watch my niece and nephew. My SiL is also a teacher, just had a baby, and neither of them are crazy about what it's going to cost them.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2020

I was home with my kids for 10 years; for the first couple of years I watched my neighbour's kids and then I took in a few more. We did need to make some sacrifices without my salary, but I have never regretted the decision.

36. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 6, 2020

OK...:) 1st start being really good to that hubby of yours! If that doesn't stop him from investing, you still have a great option, imo. However, IDK the kids or you SIL. :) So maybe not!
    I had 2 relatives that were working women with 2 kids each at about the same time. 1 was a DR and made more money than the teacher. It just made sense for the other to stay home and raise all 4 kids.
    The dr paid her well and the kid's were raised with good family values.
    If you get along well w/ SIL and her kids, it could benefit both of you and both sets of kids. Daycare is expensive! Staying home with your own kids can be a blast! :)

37. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 8, 2020

People get "non-renewal" papers here all the time only to be back next year........

38. thewife

thewife Rookie

Mar 8, 2020

Thanks everyone for the comments and the support. I received and email last week saying that I needed to submit my letter of resignation and that the beginning of the next week would be ideal. I talked to a couple of people about it, including the assistant Superintendent. This week I received an email asking if I remembered the deadline for the letter of resignation. Which is funny because the main reason I was given for non-renewal was not meeting deadlines...LOL! I emailed him back and let him know that I had not made a decision about submitting a letter of resignation and I needed to make the decision that was right for me. I asked him when is the latest that I can submit the letter and he is giving me until late March. So, this weekend I was applying for some jobs through talent ed and one of the questions was about being non-renewed or being asked to resign after being non renewed. Since I did not want to lie, I put yes. So, at this point I see no reason to submit a letter of resignation if I am going to have to say that I was non-renewed either way. I just have to try to make it through the next 2 1/2 months. One day at a time.

RainStorm and Tired Teacher like this.
  39. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 8, 2020

Oh, I see your point! I haven't dealt w/ the nonrenewals due to the places I have worked didn't do that to people. You can make it with just less than 3 months to go!!!! <3 I think it is good not to resign if you have to say you were nonrenewed anyways. Without resigning, if it came down to needing the $, I think you can get unemployment.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  40. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2020

This is why they are asking for your "letter of resignation":

The real cost of unemployment claims: increased tax rates.

The cost of an individual UI claim depends on how much the employee made, how long they remain on unemployment, and the state’s maximum benefit amount. The average amount paid out on an unemployment claim is $4200, but can cost up to $12,000 or even more.

State governments get the money to pay claims by debiting the employer’s UI account (in states that require an account balance) or by raising the employer’s UI taxes. A deduction in the account balance may also cause a rate increase, as the ratio between taxable payroll and the account balance changes. Each claim assessed to an employer’s account can result in a tax rate increase in future years.

So the real story isn’t the cost of an individual claim (though it can be significant). It’s the higher tax rate that will have a long-term impact.

The state formulas generally use a three-year moving period to assign a tax rate. Each awarded unemployment claim can affect three years of UI tax rates. Employers often don’t realize the real cost of a claim since it’s spread out over a long period.

The average claim can increase an employer’s state tax premium $4,000 to $7,000 over the course of three years. However, it can be far more, eclipsing the cost of the claim itself. Not winning claims can easily cost employers tens of thousands of dollars annually, if not more.

For example, say an employer has a million dollar taxable payroll and a UI tax rate of 1%. That’s $10,000 in unemployment tax premiums. After claims are assessed to its account, the rate goes up to 5%. Premiums rise to $50,000. The UI tax rate clearly makes a difference to an employer’s bottom line

Often the terminated employee is asked to resign, and the employers fail to mention that the resignation negates the ability to draw unemployment benefits. Instead, they simply imply that you won't have to say that you were nonrenewed if you resign, but it doesn't work like that in reality. If in doubt, contact your unemployment benefits office closest to you and get their take on how it all plays out. Usually when you are nonrenewed, you have to sign papers that basically tell you why you are not being asked to return. Your signature on that paper, which indicates you understand why they feel you are not a good fit, is truly all you need to supply.

Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  41. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 9, 2020

You are so wise to not let them bully you into "resigning." You are correct -- the application forms all say "non-renewed, or resigned in lieu of a non-renewal" so there is no benefit to resigning for you. You are an honest person, so you are going to check the box, regardless.

They are trying to do what is best for them. They are not at all concerned with what is best for you. So many teachers go ahead and write the resignation letter thinking they are "saving face" and that it will make it better in their job search. It won't, and you are giving up your right to unemployment should the job market prove to be difficult for you. I think you are making a wise decision.

The next 2 1/2 months may seem difficult, but I've found that we can do anything if we know it is only for a short while. Use this time to be the kind of teacher you want to be, which is often impeded by school's "requirements" and "non-negotiables." You have a lot more freedom right now than you will ever have again, because what are they going to do? Fire you twice? Focus on making it the best experience you can for your students, and doing the things you know make great teaching. Make yourself happy by making your classroom a healthy, happy environment for the kids. It will give you the positivity you need to make it through.

Then focus on your job search. Take time off, if you have it available, to work on getting your next job -- things like interviews. You don't need to broadcast it, just quietly do it.

You are doing all the right things. I know a non-renewal is hard, but you are certainly making the best of it. I'll be sending positive energy your way.

MrTempest likes this.