non-renewed--kiss of death in California

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BFGaloot, Apr 27, 2017.

1. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

I was given the option to quit and I didn't take it. I had read various threads on here and many suggested that not being renewed wasn't the end of the world.

But I have sent out dozens of applications, even had some great interviews, to get "sorry, no" emails the next day. I expec t they are calling my current principal, who has a strong dislike for me for no reason I can fathom.

I have two excellent reference letters from colleagues at my current school (a small continuation HS) including the other math teacher.

I figured that with credentials (clear) in both physics and math that I would easily get hired. If I wait until July when schools are more desperate, might I get an offer?

I have ten years of teaching experience with excellent references all along the way. This one principal appears to have ruined my teaching career. At age 55 I'm considering a third career. Maybe I'll do an apprenticeship as a machinist.

I'm incredibly discouraged and depressed about this. I absolutely love teaching, and the students can tell that I love teaching.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 27, 2017

Yeah, I think waiting until July is probably your best bet. I would just highlight your other experience other than the non-renewal one in your resume and references. Try to avoid mentioning your non-renewal in any way (though most applications directly ask you about it nowadays--I don't know if you're legally required to answer that question).

4. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

Yes, I'm legally required to answer that question and it is on every Edjoin application.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 27, 2017

Are you required to list your principal as a reference? Would it be possible for you to list someone else as your "supervisor," like an AP or even a team lead/department head? If you're getting interviews, that means they're not ruling you out right away based on the non-renewal, which is a great sign.

If you're required to list the principal as a reference, you could try talking to your union and seeing if they are able to do anything for you. They might be able to work it out so that your P can only verify employment or possibly give at least a nuetral reference.

If you mean do you have a better chance of getting hired later in the summer, I think it's possible. There should be less candidates, but I would assume there would also be fewer openings. If you were suggesting that you quit applying now and just wait until July, definitely don't do that!

6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 28, 2017

Out of curiosity what policy/code/law are you seeing that?

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2017

Edjoin is the online application platform for all public schools in CA, and it is a required question (I don't think you can submit your app without checking yes or no). I do seem to remember there was a place to add an explanation, so you could provide more detail on your situation.

anon55 likes this.
  8. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

Apr 28, 2017

Yes, I have to check "yes", and it does provide room to type an explanation. I'm not listing my principal as a reference--apparently they just call her anyway. My references are from the Teacher On Special Assignment here, and the other math teacher who I list as "lead math teacher".

I talked to a lawyer provided by the Cal Teacher's Association and he said there isn't a lot I can do about my principal bad-mouthing me. But I'll contact the union chief too, that's a good idea.

9. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 28, 2017

OP, there is life after non-renewal! I was a career changer who was non-renewed last year by a crazy principal who targeted me for removal. I had no protection as a second year teacher. Not only was I non-renewed, but I was given a horrible evaluation.

But I was hired last June despite it all and landed in a better district, teaching in a school that I really enjoy. Life is better now. It is possible to not only survive a non-renewal, but to thrive after it.

10. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 29, 2017

Did he have tenure? It would be different if he were on a probationary period.

11. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Apr 29, 2017

I had a non re-elect the first year no reason needed to be given to get rid of me (but the vice principal who evaluated me gave me the lowest marks in every single category! And then wrote me a good reference...go figure)
    I got hired by another district in August, the week before school started. Have been in that district for nearly a decade with great evaluations.
    I met with the director of human resources who said that we (a huge group of the new teachers at my school were non-re-elected!) didn't have to say we were forced to resign...I forget exactly how the question is worded on edjoin, but she said the district could let us go without cause and we were not really fired or forced to resign to avoid being fired... we just weren't being offered a job the next year. She said that question was more about teachers who were resigning mid-year to avoid being forced to resign because of real trouble. They may have changed the wording of the question.
    At any rate, lots of districts are scrambling at the last minute and they know lots of teachers who had a rough first year will be fine the next year. I got hired on the same day that one of my non-re-elected colleagues got hired in a different district...late August. Don't give up!

MrTempest and DressageLady like this.
  12. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

May 1, 2017

Good advice, and it is good to see a "yes" from a couple of teachers who got jobs after a non-renew.

I'm in Northern CA--the southern end of Silicon Valley. I also have the option to go live with my brother in the Central Valley near Merced, and I've applied to a couple of districts there with no luck.

I seem to recall there is an option on the Edjoin application to check, "do not contact this employer". I've not checked that box in the past. I will now.

The principal was asked by HR (because I asked the union chief) about the issue, and she claims that she has only been giving the standard "he worked here this year" response, which is a complete lie. 15 minutes after one principal talked to her, I got a text saying "job is filled, sorry". This is her 1st year as a principal, I doubt if she even knew about the district policy.

Maybe I'll have better luck with future applications. I do have 10 years of teaching with excellent recommendations the whole way along, it is hard for me to believe that this one inexperienced principal can trash my entire teaching career.

13. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

May 1, 2017

DL, thanks for this! It must have been really hard teaching the rest of the year after finding out about the non-renew. It's incredibly stressful for me to come to school each day knowing that the administration can't stand me.

anon55, DressageLady and MrTempest like this.
  14. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

May 1, 2017

Yep, one of the worst experiences of my life. But the best revenge is to survive. Don't let one messed up administrator define you. I understand how stressful it is. But there is a great chance your story will end up like mine!

Hang in there!

BFGaloot likes this.
  15. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 3, 2017

To clarify edjoin asks if you've or asked to resignnon-re
    I want to clarify something... EdJoin asks is you've been DISMISSED or asked to resign. This does NOT include non-renewal. Non-renewal is different than being dismissed.

I clarified this with my union as 19 teachers in my district were "non renewal".

BFGaloot and mathteachertobe like this.
  16. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

May 4, 2017

That's really interesting--the head of HR for my district insisted that if I did not quit, but was non-reelected, then I have to notify all schools I apply to. Is there a difference between non-reelected and non-renewal? In my case, I am forbidden from working in this district (even as a sub) forever.

Does that change the situation? My union is mostly useless when it comes to questions like this.

17. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

I thought non-reelect and non-renewal were the same, but I can't say for sure. Sounds like the head of HR there isn't the nicest.

All I know for sure is that a dismissal is being asked to leave, it isn't just not being asked back. Granted there are various reasons for that, good or not--- 19 in my tiny district were let go after (most) received good evaluations all year. Whether money, downsizing, or someone higher up with something to prove I don't think non-renewal is a kiss of death--- ESPECIALLY if you can back it up with showing a good review.

BFGaloot likes this.
  18. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

I search our forum... is looks as though it depends on the state as some have said non-renew means fired, however none of those people were in California.

Here, they can let you go for ANY reason if you don't have tenure and they don't have to give you that reason, either.

BFGaloot likes this.
  19. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

May 7, 2017

More fuel for the fire--the principal has requested to meet with me this week to go over my "Summative form". I suspect this will list all the things she doesn't like about my teaching, but that would surprise me, since districts generally don't give reasons for non-renewal.

I am tempted to not sign it if requested to do so, or at least demand to add my own written comments on the form addressing the misconceptions and giving my version of events.

Do any of you know anything about a "Summative assessment" given for a teacher? In 10 years of teaching I've never heard of such a thing.

20. BFGaloot

BFGaloot Rookie

May 7, 2017

Excellent advice, thank you.

21. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 7, 2017

have you thought about sitting down with the principle and air out the issues? i mean, it's a hail mary, but at this stage, you got nothing to lose. at the minimal, this is an opportunity to see if you can get constructive feedback that can benefit in your next opportunity.

MrTempest likes this.