Non-Renewed Advice Job Seeking

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bakingfunmom, Jul 11, 2019.

1. bakingfunmom

bakingfunmom Rookie

Jul 11, 2019

Hi,
    I'm a fairly new teacher (this year coming up will be my 5th year). I worked in a school in 1st grade for 2 years. I didn't have much of a relationship with my Principal (he had social issues) but had a great one with my AP. My evaluations were fine and my Principal barely spent any time in my room this year. In a nutshell, my AP told me 2 months before the end of the school year that she was shocked to hear from the Principal that I was on the possible non-renewal list for this year. She said it was prob. my data scores. I explained my side and she said she'd speak to him. I wrote out a plan that I had for helping bring my students up. All seemed fine. I got sick and had meningitis and was out for a month. I don't know if that exasperated the situation and his feeling of me. One month before the end of the school year, I was brought in by him and told I was non renewed. I asked why. He said he didn't have to tell me by law. I held my head up high and taught until the final day which was about the hardest thing I've ever done (professionally).

Fast forward 1 month, now I'm left with trying to find a job which is proving to be difficult. I am not getting any calls. I know they take one look at that and it is a huge strike against me. I collected letters of recommendation from both my administrators and from the staff I worked with. I'm going to go around to schools and drop my resume off. I just get stuck when explaining why I was non renewed. The union says just say no reason given on app. I'm thinking I should say that I'm not sure why I was non-renewed and that I was perplexed and maybe say that it's just human nature that someone either likes you or not. I'd love any advice anyone has to help me land an interview and advice to explain the situation while sounding positive. I should also add that I am 49 and also have a slight vocal issue from a surgery that I had from a tumor I had. Of course, I can't prove it and wouldn't mention it but those 2 factors I'm sure had something to do with his decision because he is known to prefer younger staff. Thanks so much for reading my long post! Have a great day! :)

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 11, 2019

Any chance that you were RIF'd - your position was lost through a reduction in force? That means enrollment numbers didn't warrant the same staff size. Since he refused to tell you, it could be. Hope you are getting your unemployment benefits to carry you through. So sorry for your job loss. Sadly, your illness may have been a factor, one that will never be listed as such. You should seek clarification about what information will be offered up to prospective employers - they owe you that. Some places will only confirm your length of employment and what your salary was. Not the worst case scenario.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 11, 2019

We (administrators) have to tread lightly when non-renewing someone. Each year in July when we return from summer break, we have a session with lawyers where we're reminded of some important dos and don'ts. We are also briefed on any changes to educational law. It is ingrained in us to say very little when letting someone go. It's unfortunate that we can't really elaborate, but I can see how an explanation can lead to possible litigation.

I read that you just finished your 4th year in the classroom, but that this is your 2nd year at your current school. What happened the other two years? @bakingfunmom

5. bakingfunmom

bakingfunmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks for your response, I will collect unemployment benefits if I don't get a job by the end of summer. I'm hoping to get one (finger's crossed) before I need to do that. I live in a somewhat small school district. My non-renewal wasn't due to a reduction in funds or staff. I know it was personal. My Principal did say though that he would give me a good reference if someone called. With a non-renewal on my record though it's hard to get calls. I guess that's what I'm struggling with. I believe you are correct; they can only say how long they worked here and some basics. Thanks again for your time. :)

6. bakingfunmom

bakingfunmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2019

Hi, thanks for your response. I could understand that principals have to be careful due to law suits. It's just so hard for the employee to make sense of what happened so they can grow or change. The implications can also linger a long time.

My first two years in the teaching field were spent at two separate Charter Schools. My eventual goal was to be at a better school in a school district which is where I spent my last 2 years. Do you have any advice as an Administrator about how to get past the non-renewal issue in order to get an interview or discussing it at an interview so it doesn't negatively affect my chances of getting a position? Thanks so much for your time. :)

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 12, 2019

I'd contact the principal and ask if there is any way he can agree to let you check "no" on applications where it asks if you've been non-renewed. If he's willing to give you a good recommendation, he might be willing to do that for you. If you were part of a union, you might try contacting them as well and asking if there is anything they can do. In a previous district, admin non-renewed all probationary teachers (thankfully I'd seen the writing on the wall and resigned first, so I didn't have to report anything). No one was getting offers- or they were getting offers pending references that were then rescinded. The union told her that when potential new employers called and asked, "Would you hire this person back," if she said "no" she would be opening herself up to potential slander lawsuits by incorrectly implying that the teacher had done something criminal that would make them ineligible for rehire. Once there was some heat on her, people magically started getting offers after that.