Non-renewal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sshintaku, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

delete

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

Can you get some advice from your union rep?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2011

Maybe ask for a meeting with the administration. Don't go in with a "I deserve a job" attitude, but more of a truly how can I improve attitude. Ask them what they would suggest and see if you can get a letter of recommendation from them.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2011

Contact a union rep. Don't sign anything or have any more meetings with admin without your union rep present.

6. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

I agree with Mopar. So sorry this happened to you :(

7. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

I am considering going around tomorrow on my prep to meet with the other admin and ask something along the lines of "I have been notified that there is concern with my work ethic and attitude. I was wondering if you can be specific with your concerns so I might be able to address them."

I am worried though, that because this all seems fairly underhanded and political, that discussing anything with anyone will just get me in more trouble.

8. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

I am considering going around tomorrow on my prep to meet with the other admin and ask something along the lines of "I have been notified that there is concern with my work ethic and attitude. I was wondering if you can be specific with your concerns so I might be able to address them."

I am worried though, that because this all seems fairly underhanded and political, that discussing anything with anyone will just get me in more trouble.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2011

That's my concern as well. Talk to your union rep. They can advise you better.

10. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

You'll be hard pressed to ever get specifics.

Probably for much the same reason as there is code that someone was a bad employee when other employers call for reference.

If you're good, it's on and on about this and that.

If you're bad, it's "no comment."

They have to watch their rear-ends, you'll not get much more than vague responses. It's a common theme among all those here that post about their non-renewals.

11. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Mar 14, 2011

First of all, I am very sorry that this happened to you. I know at the moment it feels like the end of the world, at least your career, but trust me from experience, it is not.

I am now in my 3rd year, and I was non-renewed after my first. At the time, it felt devastating, and I felt personally wronged. However, looking back, it was truly a blessing in disguise. The school I am at now is so much better in every single way. If I had not been non-renewed, I'd likely still be at that school, not knowing how happy I could really be.

In my state/district, along with many others, a teacher in the first 3 years is not required to receive ANY notice or reason for a non-renewal. It literally could be anything, and they do not have to offer you a reason. Everyone knows this, and with the state of education right now, you should not feel like a non-renewal is a career-ender. I had no trouble finding another job after my first year.

Personally, I think that a non-renewal looks better on a resume than a resignation. It shows that you stuck with the job, even if it may not have been the best situation. And if a future employer asks you about the non-renewal, you can honestly say that you did your best there and don't understand their reasons. I'd try not to sever ties with your current school so hopefully, at least, you can receive a positive recommendation from them in the future.

Best of luck! It will all work out ok...promise. :)

12. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

Since I am backed by my department chair and other people, I'm hoping that I can gather enough letters of recommendation to off-set the non-renewal a bit.

Thanks for the positive words Outsidethelines. You ARE science though, and I, sadly, am in the over populated world of English teachers.

I'm trying not to freak out - I figure there is a plan for all of this, and honestly, if this is how things are going to be run, I'm probably better off somewhere else anyway. I do dearly love my kids and the staff at the school though, and that is hard to let go of.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 14, 2011

So sorry, but join the club! I was a 1st year special ed teacher when I wasn't rehired in 2007. I've posted several times about my situation in various threads when replyng to others.

The P told me I wasn't a good fit...that's all. The union president (it was a tiny 4-school district I worked for at the time) said it was a blessing in disguise. I was give the option to resign OR be let go, which I did the former.

I wasn't devastated & glad I had the sense to not buy anything huge like a home, etc. (I probably wouldn't have done that unless I was tenured.)

I've begun switching gears to speech-language pathology (SLP), so it's like I'm starting fresh in a way & it looks a better &/or is easier if I'm asked on an interview why I didn't last longer on the job. I can just say that I decided to return to school to pursue a different career field.

Good luck to you!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 15, 2011

If you're a probationary or temporary contract teacher here in CA, admin doesn't need to give you a reason for non-renewal.

That said, I'm sorry you're going through this! :hugs:

15. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 16, 2011

True. It's just a crazy situation. At the end of our conference, he said he has the power to bring me back, depending on how the rest of the year goes.

Quite a few other teachers got this as well.

I feel like it's a giant Battle Royale set up to see who will fight to the death over their job.