non-renewal live teacher covid

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LiveLoveLearn, Mar 4, 2021.

1. LiveLoveLearn

LiveLoveLearn Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

This year my illinios public school was one of the few schools to stay open all year. To be able to do this they had to hire several new teachers to cover the smaller class sizes. In the past two years I have not taken but 1 sick day, and 1 personal day. I arrive early and leave late. My evaluations are proficient with a few excellents. My professional record has no documentation about issues. I have never been called in for a meeting or emailed.
    This year my school in non-renewing several teachers some of whom are non-tenured but have experience and MS degrees. The RIFed all the new hires for covid.
    So I showed up to work life every day. Adjusted my teaching assignment for the covid schedule. And then they tell me I am non-renewed. Okay...no reason. But then they tell me I must resign to avoid termination and IF I resign they will give me a letter of recommendation. What is that? I don't want to resign. I just want to finish the year on a non-renewal. Why can't I do that? Is this lawful? IMy union rep told me there was nothing I could do and that I should just resign. I don't feel like she is helping me either. Am I allowed to ask them what my grounds for termination would be? Is that a slippery slope?
    Some thanks huh?

3. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Mar 4, 2021

I am sorry to hear that but that is the way they treat teachers in public schools. No respect at all. I would just resign, get the letter of recommendation, and find a job at an independent school. You can negotiate pay to be what it was at the public school. You'll get a matched 403-B and will be treated with a lot more respect - especially by your school staff.
    If more teachers stood up to these administrators and their horrendous way of treating its employees, we'd see meaningful change in public schools.
    If you are in the Chicago area, there are tons of good independent schools. Look on the "NAIS careers" website for postings.

LiveLoveLearn likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 4, 2021

As long as you aren’t tenured, you can be let go at the end of your contract each year with no reason given. The only time there is ever a termination/resignation is for some kind of major issue. There has to be some kind of issue going on, and there is due process to follow.

LiveLoveLearn likes this.
  5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 4, 2021

I suspect this may be a RIF (Reduction in Force) issue. If student enrollment is down, then the district needs to cut back on the number of teachers, and the easiest way to do that is to not renew non-tenured teachers.

Should you resign? If you have trouble finding a job, will you be able to collect unemployment? This differs by state, I know in some states if you show you resigned to avoid termination, they will still grant you benefits. I think there are other states that do not do that. It does not speak well of your site that they are holding a letter of recommendation hostage in this way, but that is their prerogative I guess.

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. LiveLoveLearn

LiveLoveLearn Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

7. LiveLoveLearn

LiveLoveLearn Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

Pisces. Thank you for saying all of those kind things. The interesting thing is back in Maryland I was indeed a private school teacher. It seemed the work ethic that was appreciated in a private school is not valued in my current public school.

Pisces likes this.
  8. LiveLoveLearn

LiveLoveLearn Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

9. LiveLoveLearn

LiveLoveLearn Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

Maven- Thank you for mentioning due process. They are threatening to terminate me if I don't resign but there is nothing in my prof file nor have i been notified of any thing wrong. I asked her to list any issues and she could not. Is she allowed to bring up things AFTER I refuse to resign?

10. LiveLoveLearn

LiveLoveLearn Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

Thank you. That is an interesting point. The RIFed all the covid hires (new teachers hired to cover the covid smaller class sizes but fired several veteran teahcers with more experience and higher credits/MS.

11. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 4, 2021

In California, no reason or justification needs to be given for non-renewal of probationary teachers. Not resigning will not force them to explain their decision. They will still not renew you. I am very sorry you are in this situation, and hope you find a better situation soon.

12. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 4, 2021

If you're downstate in the central IL area (Peoria-Springfield range) then this is unfortunately common practice. It's a budgetary issue where it's cheaper to hire new teachers all the time than to bump anyone up the pay chart. ISU pops out enough new grads to fill the positions. It's also easier to act like that's not what's going on when they can get people to resign. Since you said they cut people with MSs, that may well be the case.

I would press to find out exactly what the terms of your non-renewal are. There's a difference between not having a contract renewed and having a contract terminated and you should know which it is. If you're RIF'd, you're fine. Terminated will make it much harder to get another job. Unless they're terminating you for cause, they don't have to give a reason why. If you read your contract, it'll probably say if they can terminate non-tenured faculty without cause. If that's the case, your union can't do anything about it. Resigning looks better than terminated. Get everything in writing; you don't want to be told one thing and have them turn around and tell others something else.