Non-Renew vs. RIF

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wcormode, May 12, 2015.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

May 12, 2015

My current school district (for only 7 more days!! WOO HOO) is a hot mess. They got rid of tenure before the year and then non-renewed 4 people, one of which has glowing reviews and no write-ups.

About a month ago the Assistant Principal was told that his position was a RIF(reduction in force). Last night at the board meeting they did a non-renewal of him. When he confronted the Super he was told that the difference is just technical and makes no difference.

He is worried that the non-renewal will hurt his chances of another job.

Any school law experts out there? I am in Kansas if it matters.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 12, 2015

It depends on the area so you need to ask people locally. I know nothing about how things are in Kansas, but here there is a huge difference. A RIF means your position was eliminated due to budget cuts, and they will not be hiring a new teacher to fill your old position. A RIF does not reflect negatively on the employee at all since it's entirely due to budget and not due to performance. On the other hand, a non-renewal is due to poor performance. When you're non-renewed, they're not eliminating the position and will hire someone to replace you- they just don't want you in that position. Non-renewals do reflect negatively on employees. Any application around here will ask if you've been non-renewed or resigned in lieu of non-renewal. Schools do use those questions to weed out applications and it will be very hard to get another position after non-renewal. A teacher who was RIF'd would not have to answer "yes" to that question. I know other posters here say that they are the same thing or that the term RIF is not used in their area, so it depends on where you are.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 12, 2015

Atound here it is all "pink slips", but the reasons vary. The ones pink slipped because of position elimination or student number decline have no issues being rehired, often even within our same district. The ones with non-renewal struggle. The ones with resignation typically get out of education.

I faced position elimination my first four years. Each time I was rehired by the same place. Schedule changes, course changes, declining student numbers, tenured teachers returning from leave.