Non-rehire. Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EGrace, May 24, 2018.

1. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

May 24, 2018

In search of advice and past experiences. I was told yesterday that I would not be rehired for next year and am in absolute shock. I scored above expectations on all observations and had good benchmark growth and test scores. I spent way more time planning engaging and creative activities than anyone else on my team. I was also the only person who had a masters degree and additional certifications.
    I did want to leave the district and move to the neighboring district, but not like this. I still worked extremely hard and put forth a ton of effort. I presented 3 times in PD’s, attended multiple conventions, read PD books etc. I’m so confused. When I asked why, at first admin wouldn’t say anything. Then they said they had a different “vision” for the school. I then asked for feedback and all I was told was parents at the school like to be very involved and I need to work on parent involvement and also meshing with the team. I sent a daily email to parents with classroom updates. Ive never had anything like this happen in my life. I graduated from a top teaching program, got my masters, had excellent references and have never had any complaints brought to my attention.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?? I only just completed my second year. I’m very scared about finding a new job now at a decent school. Thank you

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2018

It seems like parents and your colleagues didn't feel like you were a team player. This is something you'll want to focus on in your next position.

Start applying everywhere. It's prime hiring season right now.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 24, 2018

The term "not the right fit" comes to mind. I agree with Caesar - your perception of your value is different from that of collegues/admin. Is there life after non-renewal? You bet. Make sure your resume is modified to reflect your best experiences, and you might want to reflect on the "new directions" that the school is going in, considering why you didn't fit that vision. Consider that when push comes to shove, your master's may have worked against you in this situation, especially if it doesn't enhance your value in their eyes. These are, however, just my opinions.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  5. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

May 24, 2018

I don’t get why they would have thought I wasn’t a “team player” in the sense of getting along with others. I had really good relationships with 3 out of 5 on the team and a fine, positive relationship with another one. One of the other ELA teachers on the team (who was new this year) was very cold towards me and never offered to work together or share resources. That person was the one who was difficult to work with, but they somehow were loved.

The parent thing is so confusing too. The only other things I could have done is invited parents into the classroom and made more positive phone calls. I responded promptly to every single email this year and made myself available.

6. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

May 24, 2018

I think it’s most upsetting because I tried to do everything that they wanted. Reaching far out of my comfort zone to teach using classroom transformations, pbl, technology- blended learning, and teach with no curriculum. I didn’t nessecarily want to do this and would have rather had a curriculum to use, instead of coming up with every resource on my own. They were also really big on using twitter and “tweeting out” and although I didn’t want to do it, I did all year.

Basically I don’t understand the “new direction” that they are going since I thought I was doing exactly what they wanted.

I could see how having the masters, since it is just in instructional practice, could have been a negative due to pay.

I just feel so used, taken advantage of, hurt and stunned.

I wanted to leave due to no curriculum, scheduling, rti set up, lack of instructional coaches, demographic, lack of admin presence and feedback and district problems, BUT I wanted to leave on my own terms and having been perceived as doing an excellent job.

It’s frusterating to spend almost all day every Sunday grading, planning, making resources, buying resources, looking at data, plannning assessments, planning engaging activities- to end with this.

pommom and Backroads like this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 24, 2018

I have survived non-rehire before (one where I still have no idea what went down). You will survive.

I'm sorry about the things said! If it were simply a matter of " a different vision", then that would be what it is, no hard feelings, it happens.

I can't speak for your administration, of course, but perhaps they did have some little issue and are now just saying stuff and whatever to have their reasons.

I'm so sorry! Vent away!

But, myself and others on this board have survived.

MrTempest likes this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 24, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    MrTempest likes this.
  9. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 24, 2018

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Many teachers seem to place a high priority on establishing "relationships" with their students - in fact a recent post a recent post is entitled Relationships Are Key. However, I've noticed that many teachers who work extremely hard in the classroom fail to develop political teacher-principal relationships that are so crucial for their longevity in the profession. I personally tended to stay away from school politics, but was always aware that I was just one step away from getting the ax and consequently treaded lightly.

Sometimes its extremely difficult to gain access to the "inner circle" - an exclusive group that are close chums of the principal. The fact that your admin. was so vague in response to your inquiries suggests that you didn't meet the selection criteria for members of his team. As others have said, just move on and don't look back.

Master Pre-K and Backroads like this.
  10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 24, 2018

We have to be very careful when giving reasons for non-renewal (due to possible litigious actions).

Sometimes, non-renewed people will ask for things they can work on in the future. I appreciate when they ask this question.

As far as post-baccalaureate degrees are concerned, I couldn't care less what one possesses. Good teaching is good teaching and being someone who can get along well with others is much more important to me than whether or not someone has a master's degree.

otterpop, Caesar753 and Backroads like this.
  11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 24, 2018

There’s a teacher shortage for the more difficult-to-fill positions! Go us!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 24, 2018

You certainly do, especially if such decisions are based on reasons that Leaborb mentioned - "They could have non renewed you to make way for their BFF or some other insider who they really want and it could have nothing to do with you or your abilities. It sounds to me like they just want to give you generic BS excuses as to why you weren't hired back."

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 24, 2018

I hear this all the time in other fields. While obviously there are some things that require such n such degree or educational level, there comes a point where those things just don't matter as much as how well one actually works.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 24, 2018

It does seem like maybe you didn't develop the adult relationships as well as you needed to, particularly because, in your first post, you stated all of the things you did that make you "better" than them. I agree that it doesn't sound like you are coming from a place of being a team-player. Did you keep to yourself a lot, or did you share ideas with your team?

I think you'll be able to find a new position. You sound very knowledgeable and dedicated. That said, you do need to think about why you might not have been such a great fit for that school and work to improve in that area.

Caesar753 and Master Pre-K like this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 24, 2018

Will they provide you with good letters of recommendation at least?

I'm sorry. That situation sucks, no doubt about it.

Do you have a union? Usually there has to be at least be some prior notice that you won't be renewed. I've seen a few teachers be asked not to return... They are usually given plans for improvement or at least talked to about what to work on before the school decides to not renew.

It could also be that they heard you were applying elsewhere. There are a lot of possible reasons for why they didn't renew your contract. It's impossible to guess without knowing more specifics.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 24, 2018

Yeah, I hear you.

It’s hard when you thought you were doing all the right things, but

It sounds like that school group focused more on social interactions over job performance.

And..,parent involvement/satisfaction weighs much more than you may think.

On paper, we can do all the right things. But if there’s a lack of social and parental interactions, it becomes a sinking ship.

And yes, they may also have someone in mind for your spot.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 24, 2018

You got skills. Hard skills. Now focus on your soft skills. Nobody lands a job on education and experience. It’s your personality that wins the race.

bella84 likes this.
  18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2018

Sometimes, just sitting with a few people at lunch and making a comment here and there makes all the difference.

And when you meet with administrators, don’t talk shop all the time. Compliment their clothes, ask about local team, or even ask if they know a good mechanic. You want everyone to know you are a real person.

I also have issues with parents. It’s hard for me to be friendly and seek involvement with parents of my worst kids. But my co-teacher has this down to a science. Always friendly, even when talking about behavior problems. Always complimenting hairstyles, stopping work to oogle and coo at the babies. I don’t do this. I don’t.

I thnk it’s very time consuming, because these parents will talk as if you have nothing else to do. Especially when you are walking out the door. I smile, say good to see you, take care..and here we go: “Ms. MPK, How was my son today?”. Really, you know how he was, same as yesterday. I can’t smile and lie, or go into every detail...I’m off the clock and want to go. So I say, “I love to tell you, but I have to run..can we talk tomorrow?”

And that’s what I project. No real involvement. Knowing my faults gives me room to improve.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2018

Ditto...

The fact that you never got complaints was a blessing and a curse. I was asked to leave one job in the middle of the year. They could have done the same to you. Two questions I have for you: What did your evaluations look like? (Did you see any comments on ‘teamwork’ or ‘parent involvement’? Any ‘needs improvement’ or ‘not met’ check marks? Look that over. There should have been warning signs.

Secondly, what grade level do you teach? If it’s middle school or higher, the parent issue is not that strong, IMO. But Early Childhood to 3rd grade is big on parental involvement. These are new, young, veteran parents who love being a part of their child’s classroom and ALL school functions. If you don’t project this same level of “Class party - parents welcomed!”, it does not work well at all.

And don’t forget - parents talk to other parents, and admin. staff. Parents are on the school board and, in some cases with school boards, have the final say for your hiring and firing.

Backroads likes this.
  20. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 25, 2018

Turn around the attitude of feeling used. Instead, be grateful that you expanded your skill sets, learned new ways to teach, and acquired PD hours and expertise. PBL is much less work the second time around, so you created resources for future classes. As I said before, make sure your updatted resume reflects your newly acquired skills.

Reflect over time on things that you might change going forward, without beating yourself up over it for the job you lost. I change some things in my teaching style every year - the more I do, the more I see what "could" be done. Just because it could be done doesn't mean I have to radically change what I am doing in the here and know.

You never shared your content or age group, so it is hard for me to offer much more than that. How I would work with elementary students would be very different from how I work with my high school students. Know your audience.

21. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

May 25, 2018

Thank you. I work with elementary.

I found out yesterday that they didn’t rehire half of the 4th grade team. Only kept 2 tenure teachers and one who was honestly the laziest out of all, but was gone on maternity leave part of the year.

22. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

May 25, 2018

My evaluations never said needs improvement. All marks were.. meets expectations or above expectations. There were no comment sever made about parent involvement or teamwork. It doesn’t make sense.

It was 4th grade. I send a mass daily email to parents telling them what we did that day, reminded them of upcoming things, invited them to class parties and events, made phones, even sent positive emails to parents. I don’t get it.

What I did find out yesterday is that admin didn’t rehire half of the grade level. Only my grade. All they kept was 2 tenure teachers and one terrible one (who was so lazy and did nothing, but was on maternity leave part of the year) they got rid of me and 2 other really good teachers.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 25, 2018

Get your resume & applications out and start applying!

DressageLady and futuremathsprof like this.
  24. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

May 25, 2018

Speaking as a parent, a daily email would be way more communication than I'd want. It's overkill and I don't want to hear that level of detail or that frequent communication. One of my kids' teachers used to send daily Remind messages about the daily homework and that was too much, too. It got to where I'd barely glance at them. Not to mention that my child needed to learn to be responsible for knowing what his HW was. Maybe you are in an affluent school where that level of communication is the norm.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2018

If that many people were RIF’d, it’s possible they are cleaning house. Don’t take it personal. See if you can get a reference from a few co-workers and move on.

Don’t resign. You might need unemployment. I learned that the hard way.

26. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 27, 2018

Sad, sad, sad.

27. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

May 27, 2018

First, take a deep breath and steady yourself. Then update your resume and start applying in other districts. You can survive a non-renewal. I am living proof of that. Shoot, not just survive, but flourish!

Since so many of your grade level team was let go, I would present it as a reduction and not a non-renewal due to performance. Make up folders for interviews and include copies of your evaluations. Anything to point out your good job performance over the past year.

Good luck! It stinks, and is very painful when it happens. But you can move forward from here.
    Sheilah

Backroads and Master Pre-K like this.
  28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 27, 2018

Exactly. It wasn’t just you. And that is your story, stick to it. Just the facts, no suggestions, assumptions, no bashing former lazy co-workers, complaints about parents, or supervisors. Nothing about how great you were.

They can see that. That’s why they’ll call you.

Be great, be humble. Be ready for your next move.

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2018

If you have a school board, see if you can go online or check the district office and find the meeting minutes for the last two months. Look for something that should say: “The board approved the dissmissal of the folllowing staff members for non-renewal. As long as your name is with two others, you’re good. Also check the district/school website for ‘new programs, new direction, classroom/grade level changes’. This data will also solidify your case.

30. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

EGrace,

Take some time to self-reflect. Our judgements and opinions of our colleagues are just half of the picture. Admin. sees things differently, and sometimes we don't have a true idea of how we really are ourselves, personally and professionally.

Take it as a learning experience and move on.

Go where you're celebrated not tolerated.

Master Pre-K and Backroads like this.