Non reading 4th grader

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by VioletChiffon, Oct 4, 2006.

1. VioletChiffon

VioletChiffon New Member

Oct 4, 2006

My child can barely read, he gets frustrated very easily and we've had past behavior problems because he withdraws from putting in the effort. He is in 4th grade and I see a very dim future for him. I have bought so many things in the past to help him, such as CD's and books. He has a memory problem, he can't remember how to spell 'it' sometimes. I found out today that in his regular classroom, there are 11 kids who need special help and only the teacher and one aide helping out. My child needs one on one tutoring, which the school doesn't provide and we can't afford. What is the best way I can help him? I had him tested for an auditory processing disorder last Dec., results inconclusive because he was fidgeting too much. I can't get the school to further test nor can I get the insurance to pay for a developmental psych. (atleast in my area) to see and eval my son. I hate to put the blame on the school, they could be doing so much more though. There have been times when I've stopped off to visit the sped class only to find out the kids are in the office because the teacher has a meeting, etc. Wasted learning time IMO.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2006

We have a student like that. You have to work on his confidence and make him feel okay with his mistakes and proud of his success. The confidence will help him do things that knowledge (that he may forget by tomorrow) will not. Keep fighting for him. Look at what motivates him and what works well. Mostly work really hard on his effort and confidence.