Non-napper activites

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by twos&threes, Oct 21, 2007.

1. twos&threes

twos&threes New Member

Oct 21, 2007

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas here:
    I have a preschool bunch of 2-3's, most of whom actually sleep during naptime. But there are always those few who defy the Sandman and lay awake attempting to brew up mischief ;) I'm searching my brain for quiet activities that can be enjoyed while staying on their cots other than books or puzzles.
    Any Ideas??
    twos&threes

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 21, 2007

Personally I think if you make it too engaging, all kids will want to stay awake. Books and puzzles are enough I think, but then I don't teach this group. What about finger puppets.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

Sorry, I'm probably no help. I never gave out activities during nap for this young of age. IMO, they need to sleep, it just takes some time for some to fall asleep or they just need to get use to laying down long enough for their bodies to get conditioned to taking a nap. If you give them activities, they will never learn or they will stay awake on purpose because they know they will get fun stuff. JMO though. Nap time is one area I am not flexible with.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2007

We've had to sit or lie with a child until they went out... pat them on the back, rub their back, massage their head/temples, anything reasonable to relax them. Some won't ever take a nap, but they do learn to just stay there and stay quiet.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 21, 2007

My son's preschool is patted, etc as well. They are given a stuffed animal to hold and that's it. My school's preschool does offer stuffed animals and books.

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

I have a question about that patting. I just came back from maternity leave to find my aides doing that to my students. I'm not use to that. My background, is just let them lie there and go to sleep on their own. Do you have to have permission from parents or let them know about it? Just wondering about that.

I have issues with some of mine not falling asleep. If the naughty ones don't, then they disrupt everyone. This week I was thinking about turning on some educational tv after a while. I want them to try to sleep first and then for those that don't sleep at all, I would put it on for a while.

8. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

We sit in the same room as the children. We also sit next to the ones that asks . I do end up rooming aroundthe room as the chidlren fall asleep. We also have quiet music on in the room.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 22, 2007

The only "permission" I found in my son's daycare setting is in the Parent Participation Program brochure that was actually listed as one of the ways you can help. Keep in mind that they have video monitors AND windows looking into thier rooms. It's not the most private, but at least I know the teachers aren't back there doing who knows what.

10. zawa

zawa Rookie

Oct 25, 2007

There are quite a few kids in our center who get patted to sleep. I try not to do it to the kids who can fall asleep on their own, but many of them are tough to get to sleep without patting. By the time they get to be in the preschool age group, I don't think there are many at all who require patting, but many of the 2s and under do. I was reading the state rating guidelines a couple weeks ago, and I believe it was even one of the things required for high ratings in the infant and toddler rooms-- that teachers sit by the children who are having troubles falling asleep and pat them (or do other things to soothe them to sleep--I find that some kids respond better to having their forehead rubbed or to having their whole body gently rocked on the cot). We certainly don't have any permission form that the parents fill out for that sort of thing, although we would try to comply with a parent who requested that their child not be assisted in falling asleep (as long as the child wasn't then causing disruptions because they couldn't fall asleep unassisted).