Non "Halloween" gifts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Oct 24, 2014.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

Hi everyone!
    I'd like to get my kids a little "fall" gift but it cannot be Halloween themed because I'm teaching in a Christian school this year. We can't even mention the word Halloween to our kids….(I'm Christian but do celebrate. Sigh.) ANYWAY, this is my first year at a Christian school. I was at public before so all my other ideas are out the window. What's going to be fun for kids to receive (and not costly, of course) but is more fall themed? I guess I could do just a candy bag but I wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas besides just candy.

Thanks so much!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

There are lots of fall pencils out there. That might be an option.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

I teach in a Christian school too. We are not allowed to celebrate Halloween, but we use to several years ago. I enjoyed those years as I do not have a problem with Halloween and have always enjoyed the holiday. It is strange. In some ways it is the kindest holiday we have as it is the only day that we give gifts to all children that we don't know who show up at our door.

I would ask your P. Some Ps would be fine with your "fall" gift. I wouldn't take a chance though as some Ps really are strongly against Halloween (sigh). Since it is your 1st year at the school, I would especially be on the cautious side of this.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2014

A fall gift would probably be fine if it was given a week or two after or before Halloween. Otherwise, you could be seen as trying to circumvent the rules.

As for ideas, leaf themes are probably your safest bets. Pencils, memo pads, and things of that nature are probably safe, non-candy ideas.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I was looking on Pinterest the other day for another thread which was asking about owl-themed gifts. It had a TON of ideas, and were really cute!

7. deenamathew

deenamathew Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

You can give pencils or chocolate. there are so many other option to give.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2014

I got my students triangle pencils they were black & the ends were different colors when sharpened... we did have Halloween party though.... I taught first grade & they LOVED them. Although they were not with Halloween stuff at store I thought the student's would really like them!!! I was right!!! I wish I would have bought more for some like prize give away!!!

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

I am at a public school; however, my principal is firmly against the celebration of Halloween.

We are having a Halloween Parade, but he will not be participating. The Halloween Parade has been a wonderful tradition at this school since I was a student here, so I'm happy to see that it's still going strong.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

I went to a Catholic school for Kindergarten and First grade and we had a Halloween parade. They didn't ban it at all.

I'm hoping the OP looked on Pinterest because there are some great ideas. I think anything would leaves and/or owls would be cute.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2014

The thread is back on track now. Stick to the topic and the mods will handle the rest of the nonsense.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 29, 2014

It's a little late in the season for it, but you could do a harvest lesson related to the Jewish holiday of Sukkot and maybe have kids make their own decorations for a sukkah that they can take home with them.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

Ooh, I just saw this on Pinterest and thought of this thread!

http://teachingheart.net/blog/2013/10/holy-trinity-lesson-ideas/

The text says:

As there are 3 colors in the candy corn I see,
    There are 3 persons in the Holy Trinity.
    God, our loving Father,
    Jesus, the son,
    And our helper, the Holy Spirit.
    All 3 are God,
    Yet together they are 1.

You can download a printable too! Cute.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 29, 2014

Other than pencils, or book marks, I can't think of many things that would very inexpensive.

If you have autumn die cuts available at school you could make candy bags (with non Halloween themed candy) and staple them closed with an autumn leaf. Or you could make autumn book marks and laminate them.

It depends on time and resources available. Our schools (public) have laminators and die cuts and construction paper which all can be used for things like this (and it is allowed).

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 29, 2014

That's cute, kcjo13!

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2014

I think kcjo was providing a valid resource for the OP, who teaches in a Christian school, where this kind of thing would be incredibly appropriate...

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2014

Members are reminded not to fan the flames. That sort of behavior can get one banned.

19. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Nov 1, 2014

I give out No Homework Passes... Very cheap to find on-line...