Non-fiction chapter books?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Roobunny, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 23, 2012

I have an advanced reader whose parents are trying to get him to read more chapter books - he hasn't caught on to them yet. I did mention to his parents that I've noticed he LOVES biographies and anything historical and that I could probably do some research to find some good recommendations.

Does anyone know of any good biography and/or historical chapter books that are on a 3rd grade reading level?

THANKS!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2012

The Magic Treehouse Series has some nonfiction compliments to their fiction books.

DLK has some good low level biographies.

4. Marylander

Marylander Rookie

Oct 25, 2012

What are You Figuring Now?: The Story of Benjamin Banneker by Jeri Ferris is a brief autobiography in a series from Carolrhoda that might be of interest to your student. It comes from a series called Creative Minds Biographies. I believe their Lexile is around 850 or so. They're short and generally high-interest as far as biographies go. I particularly like the Banneker book because he's such an underrated historical figure who achieved greatness through hard work, determination, and dedication to his love of mathematics and astronomy.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 25, 2012

Helen Keller by Davidson and many other biographies by Davidson are very good.

6. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 26, 2012

Thanks for the responses! I am going to start researching these titles.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2012

Scholastic has a couple series of beginning biographies. I know one is called "Before I Was Famous" and is about their childhoods. The other is just a general biography, but I can't remember the name.

8. cateste

cateste Companion

Nov 9, 2012

Use bookwizard

When I need to find books my first stop is usually http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/
    I searched nonfiction in the search box for grade 3 interest level and came up with slightly under 500 titles. You could then edit by genre and come up with a smaller list. Print out or email list for parents to use, or show them how to use the site themselves.

9. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Nov 9, 2012

Thanks so much Cat!