Non-Christmas Winter show

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Melodie, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Melodie

Melodie Guest

Jul 30, 2002

I am a new teacher at a private school in Texas. I will be teaching music to K-12 students. The school traditionally does a Christmas musical, however, I do not celebrate Christmas and would be uncomfortable putting on this kind of show. I am looking to do a Winter musical, with all seasonal peices. So far I have Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, Over the River and Through the Woods. I also thought about doing a Thanksgiving show instead.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am having a hard time coming up with songs. I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Melodie

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 30, 2002

Our school (special ed ages 0-5) did a star theme ("Great Big Stars Way Up Yonder" was the theme song- I don't know where it came from but it was on a record). Everyone wore silver and gold glittery stars on their clothes. Other songs like the ones you mentioned were included, too.

The year before she kept this same theme and added holiday songs from around the world that the children either sang or accompanied a CD with musical instruments like rhythmn sticks. Christmas seemed less offensive somehow when many cultures' celebrations were included, as well as winter songs from cultures that don't celebrate Christmas.

I don't know how you could develop the star theme any further, but everyone really liked it because it reminded us of Christmas and Hanukkah and the whole winter night thing without being religious in the slightest. Good luck- I'm glad you're planning early!

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 30, 2002

I do a Christmas Around the World theme with my kindergartners. I try to introduce some songs about each holiday and celebration that we study. I get a lot of my songs from http://www.nuttinbutkids.com. You may want to try looking there for some ideas. You can also find lots of Thanksgiving songs if this is the route you decide to take. Good luck.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 30, 2002

Maybe combine a lot of winter traditions and let someone else be over the Christmas part. There is Hanakkah (sp?), Kwanzaa, New Years Eve/Day. Like mentioned above, start with Thanksgiving, then go to Kwanzaa since it is a celebration of the harvest, then something about the winter solstice (sp?) then Hanakkah with the meaning of the menorah, then let someone else cover the Christmas part, then go on to New Years. OR You could do these random winter special days...

December is READ A NEW BOOK Month (pick books and do mini skits from a scene in the book)... HUMAN RIGHTS month

12/1 WORLD AIDS day
    12/5 Walt Disney's Birthday - do a party theme
    12/7 Pearl Harbor Day
    12/16 Boston Tea Party - reinact that day
    12/17 Wright Brother's Day - Kitty Hawk/First flight
    12/26 Boxing Day

Those are a few dates I found on a website.

Lori

6. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Jul 31, 2002

When I was a child my music teacher for the Spring music program would pick a musical theme like the Songs from Mary Poppins, The Muppet Movie, etc. One year she did a program called Down Memory Lane when we did songs from the 30's and 40's. It may not be a holiday program but if you pick something like "Songs of Disney Films" You will have many choices.(I'm sorry for showing my age a little)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 31, 2002

Frosty the Snowman is a non-Christmas Winter song that you might like to try.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

If you use the theme, Festivals of Light, you can incorporate Christmas, Hanukkah, and many other international celebrations. You could also relate it to the winter skies and short days, etc.

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 9, 2002

There is a december musical the public school put on:
    The lead song is Called: Its december in OUr town.

10. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 9, 2002

Pardon me for raining on the parade, but taking Christmas out of winter celebrations is just another example of extreme left wing attacks against traditional Judeo-Christian values on which this nation was founded. I am discouraged that over the short span of years since I was in school, so much of what was considered traditional is being moved aside so we don't offend this group or that group.

I suppose I am offending many of you by expressing my offense, but I think I'll get over it.

11. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Aug 25, 2002

Dear Melodie,
    My suggestion for moving towards an all-inclusive themed show would be to tak such traditional songs as "The 12 Days of Christmas" and change the words to "The 12 Weeks of Winter," and create lyrics accordingly. Personally, I want non-christian asian, indian, african and westrn asian people who immigrate to our country to fell that they can also belong. Wanting to belong is a strong craving we all have. And since our country was founded on religions which encourage forming relationships with God, fellow humans, and all of the marginalized, I would think that a Winter Pageant would make all feel included. It is a supremely beautiful teachable moment for Americans to realize that any person who enters America can become American, not just the pilgrims and spanish conquistadors. So, go ahead and adapt traditional songs to winter songs. Get into the mystery of hibernation, the sleeping earth, the Summer in the Southern Hemisphere even! Many JudeoChristian holidays were originally pagan festivals and were changed to become Christian. So, why can't we keep evolving into a world wide community. (where's my soap box? huh, oops. peace to you all.