Non-Automated Libraries?

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by PCdiva, Apr 21, 2010.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2010

Are their any LMS that are in elementary school libraries that are not automated in this day and age? I didnt think there were any still out there but i just came across one- I actually will be interviewing there for a posittion for September. The school district is big on technology yet they are not automated...what are your thoughts?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

How many students attend the school?

It seems like an oxymoron to say you're big on technology yet not automated in the library media center.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

About 500, there are several elementary schools in the district and none are automated. They said they dont plan on it any time soon. There is a lot of other technology in the district such as smart boards, etc.

I found it odd, but just came across another school when checking out LMC websites...it said they were practicing using the card catalog in the "what we're doing this week section" I'm pretty sure that means they are not automated either. Interesting...something I took for granted.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 2, 2010

Wow. I remember our library being automated when I was at least in the sixth grade which I think would have been 1993. I was a library assistant and I LOVED using the wand and bar codes to check students out. :) We could have been automated prior to that and I just don't recall...and we were a small country school of about two hundred students kindergarten through sixth grade. It seems like an organization nightmare for 500 students... Eek!

You are a librarian now, yes?

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

I had a leave replacement this year that ended already so now I am back to subbing.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 9, 2010

I've just been called to interview at another elementary library that from viewing their website appears to not be automated! They dont have a link to OPAC, though not all of them do but in their newsletter under the library section it says 3rd grade students are learning to use the card catalog this month!

I'm just happy to be getting calls!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2010

Wow! I just never imagined... I do think it's a good skill for general information literacy--just learning to locate information, but otherwise I don't think they will need to know how to use a card catalog in their lifetime.

BEST WISHES!!! :)