Non-academic questions..

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by applejax544, Jun 29, 2008.

1. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Hi,
    How do you hold kids accountable for non-academic stuff? For instance, forgetting things at home or in school (instruments, lunch, homework, permission slips, etc.). How do you hold them accountable for staying organized (backpacks, desks, etc.) and getting important things home? Also, what do your "end of the day" routines look like - packing up, checking mailboxes, etc.? Do you have students copy assignments down first thing in the morning or at the end of the day?
    I have been mulling over the idea of homework packets - a packet handed out at the beginning of the week, with all homework for the week included. Any thoughts either way? Thank you!!:whistle:

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

I have kids write assignments in their agendas right after lunch, then put them in their mailboxes to take home. Each morning they bring their agendas back, signed, and put them in a crate on my desk so that I can draw a smiley face on the ones that are signed. I then place them in their mailboxes so they can retrieve them easily after lunch.

As far as bringing things, my kids don't bring instruments, but for missing homework, I have them write a note to their parents letting them know that an assignment was not turned in. The notes must come back the next day signed or the student loses recess until I do receive it back. If permission slips aren't turned in, the student misses whatever trip or activity it was for. If a student forgets his lunch, he must eat in the cafeteria.

To help keep kids organized, I only allow them to have textbooks, folders, and pencils in their desks. I also have them keep a folder for each subject and tell them where to put assignments in progress. Papers that are graded go home stapled together each Monday. I put them in their mailboxes so that they don't end up in desks or lockers. Then about once every three weeks or so (more often if needed), I have a desk check. I give kids five minutes to clean out their desks then I check them. Kids who finish within the five minutes receive a behavior ticket.

At the end of the day, kids get stuff from their mailboxes and put them in their backpacks just before leaving. I have tried several "routines," and none of them ever really stuck. I do like doing "best & worst." The kids get to share the best thing that happened all day and the worst thing that happened all day. I'm interested to see what others do for closure at the end of the day. This was a weak area for me this past year...

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

I have my students copy down their hw after mw in the morning. I had several students who checked out before the end of day, and was not able to copy down hw. I also go around and check to make sure their agendas were signed the night before while they are copying that day's homework( I hope that makes sense). If it was not signed, or hw was not done they miss recess. I pretty much do what Queenie does when it comes to forgetting things.

I have a desk manager that checks the desks to make sure they don't get too messy. Fridays are our big chunk of recess days(30 minutes instead of ten daily), if someone has a messy desk they lose time. I purchased dishpans to use this year to store the things that won't fit in the desks. They will keep the pans underneath their desks.

I don't use hw packets. I just assign hw nightly. The middle schools in my area assign nightly so I'm trying to prepare them for how things are done in middle school.

We usually pack up about 10-15 minutes before dismissal. I call one table at a time to "pack and stack" They are to get their back packs from the back and stack their chairs in the center of their tables. After this is done they sit on top of their desks and listen to chapter book being read, or wait silently for announcements.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

I've always done desk fairy awards, but I decided not to this year. I'm tired of buying all the goodies for the goodie box, actually. I'm going to try and set aside 15 minutes for desk cleaning weekly. Kids whose desks are clean and neat will have free time.

I have mine write their assignments in their planners at the end of the day. I sign the planners and give out any handouts at that time. If I do it earlier and something changes, then I'd have to have them change it anyway. If I give out handouts earlier, sometimes they don't make it home. They do keep one homework folder into which they place anything that goes home.

When they bring in homework in the morning, I look them over quickly, then they get a check mark on a chart as a reward. Those who don't have it have to miss recess until the work is done.

If they don't turn in signed parent notices, permission slips, signed tests, or anything else that is required, they go to study hall for lunch and recess until it is turned in.

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

Officially, we start school at 8:30, but by 8:20 my students need to be at their desks filling out planners, writing in their journals, and starting on the day's spelling lesson. All planners are to be filled out by the 8:30 bell. After morning announcements, my two helpers for the week go around and check to make sure planners are filled out. If they are, they stamp the planner with a smilie stamp. They report back to me anyone who does not have their's filled out. Anyone who has a late planner does not roll for Homeworkopoly that day.

After our last recess at 2:15, we go over planners and the students check off the work that is completed and circle the work that is left as I go over the assignment chart with them. We have SS left, so I tell them if that will be homework or not. Homework consists of any assigned work that was not completed in class. :) At this time, there are always a couple of students that I need to touch base with personally to check over their planners and sign off on them, but the majority of the students do a great job on their own.

As far as leaving instruments or any other needed things at home, I do not allow my students to call home for them. I really feel that they need to accept responsibility for making sure that they have everything they need for the day to be successful. However, if a parent notices that they forgot something and brings it to school, our "rule" is that the student must thank the parent for their thoughtfulness verbally and with a quick hug or high five. I think it is so important for them to develop an attitude of gratitude. This "rule" backfired on me one day when I left my glasses at home and my DH very kindly brought them to school for me. I VERY gratefully thanked him, only to be told, "You need to give him a hug!" Which I did...my poor husband was so embarrassed! We had quite a laugh over it all...those students of mine were so tickled to to have gotten the best of me!! :D

To help with organization, the students have folders for each subject, and they each have a mailbox. I send home Friday Folders each week, and that works really well for me. Any papers that students are done with (corrected, graded) go into their mailboxes until Friday. I really like this because it really cuts down on the "but I handed it in" excuses. If they handed it in, then it is either in their desk to be corrected or in their mailbox. End of discussion. :) On Fridays, the helpers for the week lay the papers from the mailboxes on each student's desk and pass out Friday Folders. I have them put anything that needs to be signed or any notes on the left side of the folder where the parent signature form is. The rest of the papers go on the right side. This helps parents know what is most important for them to look at. Folders need to be signed and returned by Tuesday at 8:30, or they are late. Late folders make a student inelligble to roll for Homeworkopoly, and on the second day it is late, they do not go out for recess until they return the folder.

I have parents sign all tests and quizes. To me this is an assignment that I give my students to have done, so I grade it as a separate entry grade. A 100% for all that are returned signed and an 69% (F) for all which are not. It is my hope that it is one more way to help students be held accountable. It is an easy way to get an extra credit grade thrown in, but it does hurt their grade if they do not comply. I make sure that parents know how this works and why right from the start, and I do the math with the kids to make sure they understand how it can hurt or help their grades and why I do it this way. After that, it becomes a personal choice...they either decide to be accountable, or they choose not to be.

I only let them sharpen pencils before school, at noon break, or at recess time. Again, a small procedure in place that I hope helps them to be more prepared and accountable. In our school, 6th grade is the start of middle school, so in 5th grade it becomes crucial to help them become as independent and organized as one can in a self-contained classroom. There is no way that I can totally prepare them for the middle school experience, and in truth, I do not accept that that is my job, anyway. My job is to help them be the best 5th grader they can be, and to that end, I have in place many procedures to move them along to independence and responsibility to help make that transition smoother, but I draw the line at trying to turn 5th graders into 6th graders. :) Our children are having their childhoods cut short enough by the demands of modern society...but that is a topic for another thread....The Hurried Child. :rolleyes:

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

I use homework packets all the time. My classes have always done well with them. I recommend it highly.

A teacher across the hall uses a system that I plan to use next year for homework - she has the kids write all assignments in their agenda in the morning. At dismissal the kids highlight anything that they did not finish and need to do for home work.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

What a cute story about your husband bringing your glasses, Love To Teach.

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

Highlighting is a great idea. I allow my students time to work on homework if there is time during the day. I could let my parents know the highlighted items still need to be completed. Thanks for the idea.