Noisy Transitions

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissFroggy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 4, 2008

During work time my kiddos are pretty good. During transitions they are LOUD, like voices yelling loud. It's only the second day. What do you do to ensure less noisy transitions?

This is mostly during morning clean up and the end of the day clean up. Moving from one topic to another (math, writing, reading) are broken up a bit more and there is not as much noise.

3. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Sep 4, 2008

Transitions and just plain chatty!

I want to hear what others have to say on this one....

I have done a TON of things, they are driving me crazy!!!

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

My kids were very noisy at first getting books from desks, moving to the carpet, etc. EVERY single time it was too loud, and by that I mean pretty much anyone talking, I just said "Oooo, that was loud; let's do it again" then I made them put the book back in the desk, or made them go sit back down and do it over. Usually they did it very quietly the second time, but if they didn't, we tried it again. It took a couple weeks, but they are great at transitions now. I haven't had to "try it again" in weeks.

5. MissR

MissR Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Oh, for clean up times, have you tried a song?

6. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 5, 2008

Go back

When my students forget how we transition from any activity or room, we stop and go back and try again. Usually that's all it takes. Especially if they were really involved in their activiity they continue their discussions while transitioning. I just ask, "is this the way we move from place to place?" They go back and do it again. They are pretty good kids too. I have students who will start noisily or forget to do something before leaving an activity. Just as I start to remind, they stop themselves and go back on their own. Training them is the key. :whistle:

7. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I have very structured transitions with my kiddos. When we transition from place to place, I ring a bell, announce the transition, and if they simply have to move from point A to point B, I do a count down from 5 to 0. Anyone not to their place quietly by the end of the countdown misses the first minute of recess. To them, 1 minute out of 15 seems like an eternity! It only took 1 or 2 students missing that first minute to make them realize I meant business!

Now, when we have to transition by putting things away first, I do it in small groups rather than the entire large group. I have a very (very) small room, so all of the kids putting things away in cabinets at the same time can get too crazy and loud, so I have them do it in groups of 4-5. I also ring a bell at these times, then give them a 20-0 countdown. Like I said, the room is small, so most things can be put away in that amount of time. If it is something that takes a bit more time, I will do a s-l-o-w-e-r count down to give them that extra bit of time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

8. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I really teach them the process and every child has a duty. I have a lesson on transition times. I list my expectation. I model it. We practice it. I make it one thing we practice before we ever start it. This helps the children know exactly what their job is. I also use the reward that if we finish early that leaves time for a short game of something. They have learned if they do it quiet that leaves time for a game.

9. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 5, 2008

old-new - my transitions are very similar to yours. one problem i run into is while i am counting down, they get so frantic to get back to the rug "on time" that they don't clean up properly. how do you avoid this?

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2008

I have classroom money. When I feel it is going to be a hectic transition, I announce that the table that gets cleaned up first, quietly, and orderly will each get a dollar. I look to make sure they didn't cram things in their desks. They need to have their heads down and be quiet at their table.

The advice above is good though. You have to make them redo it if they are doing it wrong and they have to be able to practice. Model what you want them to do. We were having a bad couple days getting ready for lunch so yesterday I started early so I had plenty of time for them to redo. Hopefully they'll be better Monday.

Of course, don't signal out any child. The kids will do that for you.

11. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

Lots of great ideas here!

teach1st, thanks for reminding me that I need to model it and set up clear expectations instead of just telling them to do it quietly. duh. I actually forgot that!

Oh the joys of the beginning of first grade!

12. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Another one that works great for me is... My time and your time.
    I have a t-chart scoreboard on the board and then when we have a transition I count queitly on my fingers to ten (Do not count aloud or the class will get really loud and try to go fast)
    After ten give yourself one point and that means they owe you one minute of their freetime. When they have nice quiet transition give them a point and that means they have 1 extra minute of freetime. It works

13. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 8, 2008

oooh i LOVE that one!

14. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

I have a marble jar sitting on the front of my desk. When I catch the CLASS doing something oustanding I have a student put in some marbles. Today we were going back to class after lunch for read aloud time. Another teacher caught me in the hallway and was asking me some questions. By the time I was through my class was already in the classroom. The went straight to the rug and sat with their hands in their laps. NONE of them were talking. They were all waiting very patiently for me. When I got the classroom, I immediately told a student to go put 5 marbles in the jar. Then I explained why. The students know when they fill the jar, they will get a class surprise. They really look forward to getting the marbles. Maybe this would help to get them quiet during transition times.

15. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 9, 2008

This is EXACTLY what I do. With most classes, it takes a week or two. My last class took most of first semester:rolleyes:.