noisy chairs!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by maineteacher, Aug 8, 2004.

1. maineteacher

maineteacher Guest

Aug 8, 2004

I am in need of some advice..... last year, I was moved to a "new" classroom that was built inside the old gymnasium at my school. I like almost everything about my "new" room, but the problem is that the floor, being a gym floor, is hardwood.

The chairs I have for the students make so much noise on the floor that as soon as one person moves, no one can talk over it!

I have heard of tennis balls on the legs of the chairs as a solution, but at 28 chairs with 4 legs each, this could be expensive!! I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any other solution to quiet those chairs down?

Thanks!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 8, 2004

felt pieces on the bottom of the chairs, desks?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2004

I was going to suggest the tennis balls, but you're right, that would probably be VERY expensive. Maybe you could ask parents to donate 4 tennis balls for their child's chair....if you don't come up with a better option that is. Best of luck with this!

Bethany

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2004

hmm....felt pieces is a good idea....I didn't think of that!

6. MJH

MJH Companion

Aug 8, 2004

Tennis Balls

At my school teachers contacted some of the area country clubs that had tennis courts and asked for donations. I know two of the teachers each received enough tennis balls for all their chairs.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2004

A friend of mine went to the local tennis and raquet club and asked for used tennis ball donations for her classroom- She got enough for 24 chairs!! :) It never hurts to ask- when you tell people you're a teacher they often help! (I also know of teachers getting carpet squares, wallpaper books, bathroom tiles-for math manips,--for free) Lots of used, last season goodies that businesses need to get rid of that can be put to good use in a classroom by creative teachers like you! :)

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 8, 2004

you need the FLAT balls anyhow! I am sure you could get a class set from a tennis club! I like the felt of a tennisball versus that rubbery of the racquetballs. If your supply is less then the FOUR legs per chair, then i would suggest only putting on the back legs of the chairs.

9. Alex7

Alex7 Guest

Aug 8, 2004

Buy some felt for 35 cents for a 8'' by 11'' square. Cut little peices and hot glue them on the the bottom.!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

--Alex

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004

I agree... ask for tennis ball donations... they throw them away after they have been used a few times. We had a teacher at our school that got donations regularly, and almost every classroom had them. I had them on all my tables and chairs last year, and it made a HUGE, HUGE difference.

Since you have to cut a slit in each of the balls, it takes forever... But it is worth it!

Side note: I have seen the wear and tear that the tennis balls hold up to, and I do not think felt would last.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2004

We used tennis balls. They get dirty but do last more than a year. If really desperate, how about thick socks?

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 8, 2004

I am in the same situation. We have hardwood floors in our room. They are beautiful, but a pain! I bought the colorful smiley face tennis balls (actually I think they just call them play balls) at walmart. I think there were 20 in a box, and a box cost $4 and change. Most of the balls lasted all year. I used a box cutter to cut an X large enough for the leg of the chair. Just be sure you don't cut too big an opening or they fall off. Also, the kids have a bad habit of propping their feet on the balls. Break that habit as soon as possible! :)
    Christy

13. denisse413

denisse413 Guest

Aug 8, 2004

teacher

I did the tennis ball idea and it worked wonders for me! I was afraing about the cost at first, but TARGET came to the rescue. I was able to find 16 tennis balls for $5 by the end of august last summer! I have not seen the balls on sale yet, but i am already hoping they will do the same!
    Good luck!!!

14. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004

If you can't get donations, I just thought of ebay...

Here's some listings.. The weight might make the shipping unafforable though!

100 used - ends soon

100 used - buy it now $30

36 balls - buy it now $7.95, beware $9.95 shipping

50 balls

40 used balls

100 used balls

WOW! 450+ Balls

25 used balls - Says they're "great 4 dogs" - little do they know classrooms, too! ;)

20 used balls

75 balls

Just a hint if you're not an experienced ebay-er: if you want to bid, place it on your watch list and bid closer to the time the auction closes. Bidding early tends to jack up the selling price. ;) Of course, others may have their own methods, but this is what works for me!

15. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Aug 8, 2004

Free tennis balls

There's no reason to pay for used tennis balls -- you can get them free at any tennis center or racquet club. Tennis balls wear out fast, then they usually use them with youth groups that are just learning to play, and finally they throw them away because they just won't bounce right anymore. I'm sure any club would be happy to donate them to someone who could use them. Just ask! :p

16. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 9, 2004

That is too funny.
    Ed

17. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 9, 2004

Don't waste your time with Racquetballs--when I tried them it didn't work-the slit just kept going and the balls fell apart. Of course I was trying it not because of noise, but the keep the bottom of the table legs from rusting on the floor. I found that a simple milk cap under the table leg does the trick to cure that problem.

18. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 9, 2004

I just picked up my new tennis balls today to replace the missing/worn out ones that I have had for two year. I love them! I call a local tennis club and they are more than happy to have them reused. Using tennis balls has become very popular in my area. The custodial staff likes them too because they keep the floors looking nice longer (of course, they do pick up dust and hair from the floor, but my wonderful custodian cleans them off periodically as she cleans my room.) The teachers on the floor below me like them too because it helps reduce the noise during the day.

19. kw0905

kw0905 Guest

Aug 9, 2004

RE: Noisy Chairs

I know that it would be expensive to buy tennis balls, so contact the person in charge of the High School Tennis team, since the balls from last year will be dead and no longer good to the team, or contact your local tennis center and ask for players to donate their old balls. I teach and also play tennis and have found that other players are more than will to donate their used balls. If you are lucky enough to have them donated in the cans, take the labels off write the kids names on them and use them as pencil holders. If they get knocked over the pencils won't spill since it has a lid.

Good Luck!!

20. maineteacher

maineteacher Guest

Aug 10, 2004

Thanks ChristyF!! I think that I will head to Wal Mart ASAP to get some!

:)

21. artbaglady

artbaglady Guest

Aug 10, 2004

I went to a tennis center where they teach tennis and they almost always have a lot of dead balls. They were happy to get rid of them, and my art room is now almost chair noise free!

22. tkent

tkent Guest

Aug 10, 2004

Tennis balls

used tennis balls from play it again sports are usually 25 Cents each also call local tennis clubs to see if they have ny they are getting rid of. I covered 45 desks/chairs in my classroon for 12 dollars.

TKent