Noisemakers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Salpy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Salpy

Salpy Rookie

Oct 8, 2006

Does anyone know of a website that sells a variety of noisemakers to get the kids' attention? My little brass bell, which I have rung for years to get the kids to stop talking and look at me, has finally fallen apart. I have heard that other interesting devices exist out there, such as rain sticks, cow bells, etc. but I never knew where to get them. Any resources would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2006

One of the math consultants who does a lot of in-service training sessions uses a "train" whistle that his son got in a birthday party loot bag. It's shaped like a train engine and makes a very distinctive sound. Check the aisles of your local dollar store...you may find something interesting.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2006

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 8, 2006

For when I need immediate attention (or when the kids are really loud) I have a bike horn. Works great (WalMart $2 or so). I knew one teacher that bought a bag of slide whistles on the party aisle at WalMart and used it.

6. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Oct 8, 2006

All you need is a soda can and about 7 pennies on the inside. Use duct tape over the top.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2006

I don't believe in letting students talk after they have been "warned" a couple of times. I came from the corporate world and just started teaching last year. I find that they respond once a couple of the more talkative or trouble makers have been isolated. By isolated I mean moved to a different area of the room or removed from the room all together.

Major Hunt

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 8, 2006

It's not a matter of them continuing to talk after I've told them to stop for me. More, it's getting their attention. For example, in science Friday, we were exploring the scientific method by doing experiments on sugar cubes. They REALLY got into the activity, and rather than yell for them to hear me when I needed their attention I honked the horn. The noise was fine, it was learning noise, but my voice, even as loud as it is, felt better not yelling to get attention.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 8, 2006

I use a rain stick but I can't remember where I got it from. I'm sure if you entered it into a search engine, you would find companies that sell them. I also use a little cello magnet that plays a tune. It really works when we switch workstations because they hear it and automatically stand up and start putting everything back in the middle of the table. I think I got it with the magnets at Bed, Bath and Beyond actually.

10. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Oct 14, 2006

I found a wooden ratchet in a shop with wooden toys. I use it as a signal for kids to put their hands on their heads and listen to directions. I am actually shocked at how well it works! One day I had forgotten my whistle and had to use the ratchet to call the kids in at recess - it worked! I guess the old tin New Year's noisemaker would work http://www.orientaltrading.com/appl...l&y=0&N=0&x=0&sd=METAL+NOISEMAKER+ASST+(50PC)
    Here's a photo similar to what I got, although mine is more plain, and doesn't have the witch. http://www.trocadero.com/antiquesdc/items/39031/en4.html