Noise meter visuals

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Education4all, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jun 26, 2015

Do you fifth grade teachers use any noise meter charts to display to students what the current classroom environment expectations are? Charts that have something like indoor voice, whisper voice, no voice? I like the idea because it reinforces the expectations visually and can be helpful for ell students. I know it is used with younger grades effectively. I do not want to baby my fifth graders but I also want very clear expectations for them. So do you use any such tools in your class?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2015

I have never used those types of tools in my classrooms. I set the protocols in the beginning of the year and we practice until the students can internalize classroom expectations. After that, it usually takes very little effort on my part to keep the students in line. Sometimes it may be necessary to remind them to take their voices down (they are kids, after all!)

It has been my experience that when we make the students follow extraneous signals, like those you mentioned, does not teach them to take responsibility for their actions. Just my opinion.