Nobody accepted a LTS Spanish position at my school....

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Caesar753, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2011

One of our Spanish teachers is out on maternity leave, so an LTS position was flown. No one accepted it. Now admin has to juggle the students' schedules and find places for them in other Spanish classrooms.

In this economy I can't even believe that no one accepted this job. I'd be breaking down doors to land an LTS position if one became available and if I were in the market for that.

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 29, 2011

PICK ME!

Okay, so I'm probably very far away, but still. It's such an enjoyable subject to teach, and the turnover rate in most districts is outrageous. Any insight as to why?

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 29, 2011

Wow, that is definitely surprising.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2011

Our school has a reputation for being rough. It is actually pretty rough, but it's not as bad as people seem to think. If you spend some time getting to know the kids, you'll find that they're a pretty normal bunch. No one ever seems to want to give them a chance, though. :(

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 29, 2011

My school is known as rough too (though not as rough as some of the surrounding schools) and like yours, they're a pretty normal bunch (well, most are anyway, though definitely not the guy who punched a girl right in the face in a hallway fight today). I'll admit I was a bit nervous before I started working there, but once I was there I quickly saw it was fine. But I was willing to take the job and find out on my own. It's a shame nobody was even willing to give it a try. And geez, the year is almost over, you'd think with how close we are to the end of the year that someone would be willing to take the position on for the experience.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

It could be the time of the year. People have developed relationships and may have other jobs on the calendar. I almost turned down an LTS position because I'd already committed to some other sub jobs during the same period of time. You have to weigh breaking promises against the regular paycheck. It's not an easy choice. Fortunately, the teachers who I had to back out on understood.

Could it be that the teachers in your district who felt qualified to teach Spanish already have LTS jobs? It's kind of a specific specialty.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 30, 2011

I think that might be one area that is still "harder to fill." The only person I know who got a teaching job right away, no problem, in the location of her choice right after college was my friend who teaches high school Spanish. Don't get me wrong- shes very good and deserves it- but if I were just someone looking at resumes and such, she wouldn't be a candidate that would jump out. She lost several jobs and had a really erratic work history, had no experience related to teaching or kids at all, only did one 6 week student teaching experience, and had to get alternate certification through the state because she scored too low on the spanish speaking exam to get a teaching license from her university. I know the backstory behind all that- but someone just looking to hire wouldn't. She had several job offers by mid-June.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

Update:

There's another LTS position available at my school, this one in Social Studies. No one has picked that one up either.

Absolutely baffling.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

Caesar~I would totally take that one!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2011

Woah! I guess the right qualified people didn't come along at the right time. But, you'd think so, wouldn't you.

12. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 31, 2011

I wonder if the position was actively promoted, or if it was just a passive listing (appearing on the district web site or a school bulletin). Also, is there a history in the district of positions frequently being listed when there is already a candidate selected? Also, is it possible (or likely) that applications weren't handled properly (for example, district staff didn't forward resumes to the principal or department head)?

When I was applying for jobs in an urban district, it was very clear that the entire process was very haphazard. Resumes sent to the principal (at the school) in July weren't accessible to the same principal in August; resumes sent to the district offices were never accessible to principals (I suppose that they might have been forwarded weeks or months later, long after the applicants had found other jobs).

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

Oh, the positions were actively promoted. I'm sure of that.

For LTS positions in my district, there isn't an application process as long as you're already a sub in the district. You just have to grab the job from the sub website. You could even just call the current teacher and tell them you want it, and the office manager can set you up. It's super easy.