NO time to set-up classroom!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Sheree, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Aug 25, 2004

Yesterday, I went to my school to start setting up for the school year which is less than two weeks away. The maintenance staff told me that I would be able to set up my class two days before school starts. He told me that they used the wrong paint and the must repaint the room and they are going to lay new carpet. I was really upset. First of all, I had to take everything off the walls and pack up all my stuff in June. So, my room is a mess. And to make matters worse there is paint on everything(they hired college guys to paint). There is even paint on my personal furniture that I brought for my class. I am just so upset. So, I am going to call my Principal today because the week before school starts is all in-service days and I am not going to stay to midnight each night to set up my room. I have 20 first graders with no aide and I just really needed extra time to set-up. I am trying to think positive about the school year. So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, suggestions, angry management tips :D , etc. Thank so much, Sheree

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2004

I would be very upset also, Sheree. My room is a big deal to me. But, I have to admit that, though the kids love the activities, and I know the mood and tone of the room affects them, the actual decorating doesn't. So I would focus on accessibility of resources, traffic flow, convenience of teacher supplies and resources. Put up some posters and worry about the rest of the decorating later on. Does that help at all?

4. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Aug 25, 2004

Thank you, yes it does help. I really need direction on what to focus on because at first it is just going to seem impossible. Thanks

5. jontybm

jontybm Rookie

Aug 25, 2004

I think that Upsadaisy is absolutely right. The most important aspect is making sure that the children feel ownership and at home in their new classroom. Their feeling safe is the primary focus. After day one, you could play a game each morning asking the children if they notice something new from the day before. That way, as you make the classroom develop into the place you want, they will feel a part of it.

Good luck and try to enjoy the adventure!

Jonty

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2004

I'm frustrated too! My school is undergoing a remodel. We were to have 1/2 days tomorrow & Friday, but of course we can't get into the rooms. 2 rooms are ready, & a bunch more will be ready by morning. I'm hoping that they will finish my room tomorrow & then I can get in. I don't expect it until Friday. I find it very frustrating because it takes me a while to set my room up & find a home for my new supplies & equipment. I'm just going to put my furniture in place, figure out my traffic flows & do what I can. I'll add to things as I go along.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 25, 2004

Frustrated is a mild word for the way I feel right now. My 1-4 school went under a complete remodel, including an elevator! They hit a 6 foot thick wall underground when trying to install it which put construction 3 weeks behind. Most rooms have no windows, bathrooms have been tiled but no fixtures. Our downstairs is off limits for at leat 5 more weeks so food will be sent over from the Middle School. Kids will eat in the gym. A new playground was installed but pavement is still missing. The layers of dirt are unreal. Our cubbies were ripped out from the halls and new lockers were installed in our rooms. This eliminated all of my bulletin board space. Since I use Saxon Math I now have to figure out where in the world I will put my meeting board. If I use my white board where do I write assignments and teach lessons. They ripped out my bookshelves which housed my library of over 300 books. Where they will go is beyond me. I'm supposed to fit 2 computer tables for 5 computers, 25 student desks, a teacher's desk. We open on Sept. 2nd. The Board of Education says nothing will stop them from opening. By the way, ALL of my supplies, books, teaching tools are still boxed
    and must be emptied. We are not allowed in our rooms until they are professionally cleaned and the air quality checked (thank goodness for that)
    I have basically 5 days before I begin teaching. What a way to begin a school year!!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

Just don't blame the custodians whatever you do...poor guys.

9. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 25, 2004

I would feel extremely frustrated too. I am moving into a new school and we just got in this week - have inservices all next week - and then start on the 7th. I feel fortunate now though - after hearing your situations - that I do have about five days to get everything done. I agree with the prior posts - your students need you and a wonderful learning atmosphere. You can accomplish that without all of the cutesy bulletin boards - even though we teachers love them and they mean so much to US. :)

Spend your time on room arrangement and curriculum. And.....make sure your first week plans include bulletin board decorations that the students can participate in or even help decide upon. Good luck everyone!

TiffanyL

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2004

I'm HOPING to get into my room sometime tomorrow! The construction crew still has their things in my room. My principal finally admitted to me today that my room will be last. He had been saying that we were not to come in over the weekend, but at 2:30p.m. today he's no longer saying that. I will be happy if I can get my furniture in place before Monday. Bulletin Boards, room atmosphere & parent approval are not high on my list right now. Having white copy paper for my Monday lesson plans is more important!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2004

I am having an anxiety attack just reading your posts. Good luck.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 27, 2004

We are delaying the start of school until Wednesday! The contractors are suppose to have everything out of my room sometime Saturday, then they will shampoo the carpet on Sunday. SOO, if everything goes as planned, I'll have Monday & Tuesday to set up my room. Now if I can only settle down & relax this weekend so that I can gear up for next weekend, I should be ok.

13. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Aug 27, 2004

kpa1ba, I know what you going through! I am having the same problem of relaxing! I should be able to get in my room by Tuesday which leaves me two days to set up for parent orientation night. And just think in a month, we should be all set up! Well I hope:)

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 27, 2004

Setting up my room was bad enough (due to summer school my room was one of the last 2 to be polyed (we have hard wood floors). That meant a delay on getting back in there. I painted my room this year so the walls were bare and everything was a horrible mess. I stayed late several days, but got it done. The bad part, though, was walking in to the copy room to run off papers for the first day and then next week and discovering that we were completely out of paper. That was fun....:p

15. Noel

Noel Companion

Aug 27, 2004

Sheree~

Since I am in NJ I could probably lend you a helping hand if you want. The only thing is that we start school on 9/1 so I would only be able to help you at night or the next weekend. Let me know.

Noel :)