No teaching experience... critique resume please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StevenR, May 15, 2010.

1. StevenR

StevenR New Member

May 15, 2010

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so please bear with me. I have included my resume for advice and critiques. I have no classroom teaching experience but have including experience from my previous employment and such. Thanks so much in advance! :thumb:

(Personal Info up top)

PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY
    Diligent and flexible professional committed to provide a solid and diversified education to students of all ages and fields utilizing “best practices”. Talent for presenting engaging lesson plans/ educational materials and activities that promotes a challenge and desire to continue learning. Demonstrate capability for maintaining a well disciplined and highly productive atmosphere. Teaching skills and knowledge include the following:

*Strategic Planning and Management * Multi-cultural Awareness * Discipline Management * Program Management* Technology Integration * Student Motivation * Various Teaching Strategies * Classroom Management * Whole Group Learning * *Student Centered Instruction * Positive Learning Environment *

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
    Walgreens 2006-Present Assistant Manager
    • Orient, educate, and train new employees on company policies, functions, and daily operations
    • Collaborate with management to reinforce and reward corrective performance and behaviors by instituting a consistent and fair management plan that significantly reduces negative attitudes and behaviors

Army National Guard 1998- 2009
    1st Lieutenant, Battalion S-1
    • Act as the Battalion (BN) commander’s principal staff section for Human Resource (HR) support as well as serving as the commander’s principal advisor for HR matters.
    • Coordinate postal operations, health service support, military pay, religious activities, legal, and command information support within the Battalion, as required by the commander. Coordinate command interest programs as directed (e.g., Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR), Voting Assistance Program, Army Emergency Relief (AER), and Community Support Programs

1st Lieutenant, Company Executive Officer
    • Accountable for the training, discipline, and supervision of the Headquarters element of an 160+ personnel Infantry Company
    • Organized all necessary logistical support for training and mission execution as well as managed $3.6 million dollars worth of Government issued equipment.

2nd Lieutenant, Platoon Leader
    • Responsible for the education, training, discipline, organization, and operation of a 35+ personnel Infantry Platoon
    • Plan, coordinate, and execute training plans with various resources to produce above average results during evaluations

XXXX County School District 2003-2004
    Substitute Teacher
    • Substitute taught regular classes covering various curriculum and assimilating a variety of teaching styles in all grade levels
    • Facilitated lesson plans, maintained discipline, and provided daily written reports to the teacher

Army ROTC Summer 2002
    Tiger Camp Instructor, 2nd Lieutenant
    • Headed the development and implementation of a structured curriculum for 93 College ROTC Cadets
    • Accountable for administration of exams and the coordination of all logistical requirements for maximum efficiency

EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
    XXXXX State College
    BA with a Concentration in History

Marion Military Institute
    Associate of Arts

Infantry Officer Basic Course (IOBC) Leadership and Organizational Training

Maneuver Captain Career Course Company Level Command, Planning, and Tactics

SARC Certification
    (Sexual Assault Response Coordinator) Sexual Assault prevention and
    Instruction for the Florida Army National Guard

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

Do you hold a teaching certificate?
    If your intent is to obtain a teaching job, you might want to consider putting in more information about your student teaching and or educational experience....

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2010

Hi Steven, and welcome!

First, let me thank you on behalf of all of us for your service to our nation.

I really had to hunt to determine what you're elligible to teach-- I'm guessing Secondary History? Make that incredibly easy to find, and if you posess certification, make that easy as well. If an administrator can't find it at a glance, he or she will stop reading.

I hope your cover letter elaborates on all the training you did, and how this will readily translate to a high school classroom. Also, as a member of our Armed Forces, you helped MAKE history, so I'm hoping you'll really emphasize that in your cover letter.

5. StevenR

StevenR New Member

May 16, 2010

Thanks so much! I can't believe I forgot to put my FTCE in Social Studies under my certification section!

I don't have student teaching experience. In Florida, as long as I have a BA and have passed my FTCE, I am eligible for employment. So if I pack my cover letter with reasonings for my experience, does the resume look full and easy to read or are there areas I should condense and/or remove?

Thank you again for your assistance!

6. newtoclass

newtoclass Rookie

May 16, 2010

I think that you should put your certification area and any teaching experience that you may have at the beginning of your resume.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 16, 2010

I would move the education and certification to the beginning of your resume.

8. StevenR

StevenR New Member

May 17, 2010

Thank you very much. Made those changes, completed my cover letter, and getting ready to send them out!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!