No teacher desk, I'd like one.... question

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Sep 9, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 9, 2006

Do those of you who teacher 4 year olds have a desk? Some of our teachers do but they have supplied their own. I'm thinking of maybe using a table but I'm afraid that would look cheesey. What if I put a nice table cloth over it and dressed it up a bit? Would that look okay?

I'd really like to have an area of my "own" to sit and have my own adult stuff. The class leaves every day for 30 minutes and I have that time to myself to review things and take a break, so I'd most definitely use it then. :)

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 9, 2006

I think a table cloth over a table would look fine. I don't think I've ever been in a preschool room where there was a teacher desk, but it would be a nice thing to have, so that you can do your planning without sitting at a table with your knees up to your ears!

4. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

I have a regular folding table (about half size) and a rolling drawered cart as my teacher desk. No table cloth. It's what the school supplies. The (former) principal insisted we didn't need real desks because "you're not supposed to be at your desk most of the time anyway". I don't like it, but hey.. it's what I got. It doesn't look as stupid as you would think it would..

The new principal/teacher managed to get someone to donate a desk for their classroom. But I doubt that the rest of us "lowly teachers" will be so lucky.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 9, 2006

In letter home (weekly or monthly) ask parents if they have a desk that they would donate to your classroom. A desk to me a must. I don't think I would like a table, but it is better than nothing and sometimes we have to make do. I would really miss the drawers.

6. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

I would want a desk. I teach my students from the first day about my "office". That is my space and they leave it alone. They respect that.

I also tell them that I keep my "office" clean. Their desk is their office and they have to keep their office area clean. They have to keep it clean on top, inside, and the floor around it. They love it when I call their space an office instead of a desk.

7. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

We have 11 classrooms at the center where I work, not one desk in any. There is a "teachers desk" counter in each room that is maybe three feet wide by two feet deep. It's counter height (like in your kitchen) and cabinets underneath for storage, so no sitting.

When I taught in Michigan several years ago, I had a real teachers desk in my room and loved it, used it a lot (before and after class), it was nice to have all my stuff organized. That center was in a older middle school that wasn't used anymore, so all the classrooms were really big. Here it seems when they build a center they try to make the rooms as small as they can get away with to fit the most classrooms. So, there's not really room for a desk anyway.

So, I live out of my file cabinet and my tote bag!

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2006

Our state, as far as daycare centers, is really strict about having the teachers on the floor with the kids and playing. They would have a real problem if kids were awake and a teacher was sitting at a desk.

Now, if the desk was only used during nap time for planning and prepping, or during times where the teacher was not responsible for the kids, then it would be ok.

Not sure if the teachers in the ps preschool's around here have one or not, but in a daycare setting it's really an unspoken no-no around here because too many people take advantage of it and use them at inappropriate times.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 9, 2006

I had one in my classroom last year. Well, no, only sort-of. I had what was probably a computer table, just a wooden top with a pull-out "shelf" that probably held a keyboard. I'd been promised that there would be a "basement hunt" for a real desk for me, but that never happened. I made do, and just jutted up a shelf that wasn't practical for my kids' stuff.

Lo and behold, when they decided to give me a co-teacher, we went basement-hunting for furniture. And whatdayaknow? SHE got a REAL desk.

My desk, which I only sat at when my kids weren't in the room, was nice to be able to have easy access to my laptop and stuff, but really just became ap iling place.

I think it's nice to have SOME place that's "adults only," whether that's a tall-ish counter, table, or desk... just because there's so much paperwork to keep straight that I'd never find it if it was all to go in my filing cabinet. ;)

10. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

No desk here. Just a counter with a few shelves above it. I also have a locking cabinet to keep supplies, but I'm quickly learning that it's not enough room!

None of the classrooms in our church pre-school have desks.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2006

I had a counter and cabinets for 'my stuff' in preK, In K I had a desk.

12. TanyaLynn

TanyaLynn Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

The director of our center has a desk she uses for billing. It's somewhat sectioned off from any play area. She also has a tiny one in her 3/4 preschool room that is completely cluddered. I don't have one in my room and I prefer it that way. The only downfall is everything that I would store in a desk gets thrown in my closet, which needs to be empty weekly.

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2006

When I taught Head Start, it was also an unsaid "no-no". No teachers in our whole program had a desk!!! I never questioned it, after being there 6 years, but I kinda figured that it was just not acceptable. I guess the other poster is right, some teachers probably take advantage of the desk when they should be interacting with the children at all times. Especially in preschool. I used to just keep a storage cabinet filled with all of my teacher stuff. I put paper sorters, shelves, containers in there to keep everything organized and away from the children. It also made my room look nicer not to have my stuff in view and keep the focus on making the classroom the children's area. :) Anything that I used constantly throughout the day, I just kept near the circletime area so it was always in reach.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 9, 2006

Both of my teachers had a desk last year but I didn't (as an aide). I didn't question it, but I actually have my own stuff and whatever I'm working on I like kept separate so it doesn't get lost in the teachers pile. I also bring my own books to review ideas for spelling games (my center). The principal never thought aides needed a desk. She said No. Still, I didn't question it. Well 2/3 of the way in the year one of my teachers brought a SMALL one from home just for me. It barely had a drawer. It was a work surface. I loved it! It was out of the way and just enough for me not to fill in the way when I needed something to put unfinished projects on. This year one of the teachers transferred and the other teacher convinced the principal we could still use 2 rooms instead of reducing it to one. Since no one needed the second desk she couldn't be churlish enough to take it away. I have the teacher desk and my old one. Seems unfair now for me to have two but since we are in the room where the teacher's desk is, I need something for while I'm in there. She uses it too so I don't feel guilty. We RARELY sit at our desks even when we are working on the stuff. It's mostly a place to put our adult things (store stuff) and to keep things organized (like graded papers etc). When I'm making a poster though, I like a place to put that poster.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2006

No desk here, either. I do have a teacher-only area, but it's really just shelving/cabinets that I block off with the block shelf. I use some paper stackers on the one shelf to organize papers, and I keep all of my curriculum manuals next to there. I have an assortment of small stacking baskets for markers, pens, staplers, etc.

When I plan, I do it mostly at home, and I use my ENTIRE dining room table (seats 8) to hold all of my manuals, opened to the pages I need, as well as idea books, my plan book, etc. There's no way I'd be able to fit it all on a desk.

My classroom came with 3 study carols (is that how you spell that???), 2 kid-sized ones for computers and listening center and a HUGE one for the teacher's desk...and while it was a nice piece of furniture, I just didn't want to dedicate that much room to my stuff. My classroom isn't large, and I couldn't make it fit in without being obtrusive. I gave it to another grade, and the teacher who took it thought she'd gone to heaven!
    Kim

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2006

The two year old teachers on up to the fives have desks. I have a very nice one that was given to me by my boss. We have to keep them neat and are reminded if things get cluttered. I have 3 drawers and lots of work space on top. I keep a bookshelf behind it and a hanging file drawer for daily lessons. I am an organized freak.

17. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Sep 10, 2006

I have an "office" which is in the corner of my classroom. I have short filing cabinets on one side and a set of shelves on the other side. I put a sign that has the "Do Not Enter" symbol and it says "Do not enter Ms. Kristin's office" and all of my students know not to go in there. I had a desk there last year but I never used it so I got rid of it this year. I have everything I need back there and it gives me enough space to keep my things but it won't let me get too disorganized because there's not enough room for that!

18. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 10, 2006

I have a desk in my class. Where do you write your lesson plans, write in children's portfolios, keep your children's files and portfolios, write your menus, ect.? I spend a lot of time at my desk (before and after class).

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

I do all of that at one of the kids' tables. We have a small round table that is raised higher than the others (but still isn't adult sized) that my assistant, myself and any parents use for clerical tasks, but the kids still use for snack and non-academic tasks.
    Kim

20. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 10, 2006

Than makes sense.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 10, 2006

I do think it is a waste to have a whole HUGE desk to myself taking up a tiny room when neither of us ever sit there. We use the kids tables to work but need a small width but long table to store current work.

22. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Sep 11, 2006

No desk but then again I'm blessed to be in a program where we have PLENTY of classroom storage! This is a first for me!

23. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 11, 2006

I have a ton of storage too, but it's a pain to have to stand at the counter of sit in the tiny tiny tiny chairs. :)

24. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 11, 2006

I got rid of my desk because I really had no room for it. I have just used a counter top to put my lesson plans on. I did finally snatch a very small computer desk someone was throwing out for my aide to work at but I never have sat at it. During nap I am usually at the computer doing lesson plans.

25. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

no desk.. never thought about one... we are busy with kids all day... work on plans afterwards... we have a storage room with desk and filing cabinets... that we keep all our teacher books and such... our rooms are small...

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 12, 2006

I just put my desk from desk (chair facing wall) position to shoving up against the wall (more like a table space for works in progress). I never actually sit at my desk anyway.

27. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 22, 2006

As an assistant teacher the main teacher in my preschool had an entire observation room/office. It was a one way looking glass mirror set up and her desk was there with a computer and storage area for theme storage. Excellent set up. When I am present the main teacher uses her office for her daily administrative hour. It is a lab preschool found within a public high school.

28. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 23, 2006

No desk here either. I have cabinets to store supplies in and bring one or two huge totes to school with me each day. My basement is my office, I have a huge table to spread things out on, a small copier and 4 file cabinets that were given to me along with mega storage boxes!