NO support from admin. What to do?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by futureteach24, Sep 14, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 14, 2013

I'm at the beginning of my second year of teaching. I have absolutely NO support from administration. In Feb, I was put on an action plan for class management. I do not believe the majority of the issues I dealt with were my fault. Currently, we are a month into school and I wrote my first two referrals of the year. One student slapped another in the back of the head and the other student attempted to slap them back but luckily missed. No it was not play fighting...I wouldn't have wasted my time writing the referrals. Anyway, they came into my class yesterday bragging about how nothing happened and their referrals were "excused". According to the copy of the referral I received from the office the consequence was a "conference" with the 10th grade principal. I attempted to speak with her but found out she is out until Tuesday. Needless to say I am furious. When I have fights all day everyday this year the building principal will tell me I "lack classroom management". I've called home, had hall conversations, switched seats, provided a reward system (did a mention I teach HS!), etc. I spoke with a couple of other teachers at the school and both said the typical consequence for that situation is suspension. *sigh* I'm so tired of working a job with no classroom, no stock room, no resources, "low track" students, and NO support. I'm spending my money as fast as I can make it, putting in 12 hour days, and this is how they do me. Any advice other than me going in there Monday and giving the principal a piece of my mind? Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2013

Deep breaths.

You have no idea what was said in that conference. I may have been "One more referral and you're dead meat" or whatever the local version of that might be.

Are the kids going to admit that in front of you and their friends?? Of course not. They're going to be cocky and act as though nothing at all happened, and hope that you and their friends buy into their act.

If you hope to continue to teach there, I would STRONGLY caution you against giving your boss 'a piece of your mind' -- at the very least, until you speak to the administrator who had the conference with the 2 kids.

Why not talk to other teachers in your school, teachers dealing with the exact same issues you are? Observe them during your free periods, ask them to observe you. How about last year's mentor-- is he or she of any help?

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I agree, the kids are most likely posturing. I would speak to the administrator and try to find out for sure if you are receiving the support that you need. But I wouldn't believe the words of an embarrassed student.

Students rarely return after being sent to an administrator in my classroom. Usually I do not see them until the next day. To me, it is water under the bridge by that time. I assume they faced appropriate consequences. If they are dumb enough to brag about getting away with their behavior I will usually say "Really? That is reaaalllly what happened when you spoke to Mr. Smith? Hmmm, interesting." and let it go.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

From the sounds of it, I'd be very careful if I were you. It sounds like they might be trying to find a reason to let you go. From my experience, a teacher being put on an action plan is almost always a "dead teacher walking." If you're a union member, you might want to take your concerns to them.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

Ouch! What a mess. Your best bet is to focus on the future, nothing can be done about the past. I'd recommend three things.

1. Find out what the school policies are for discipline. Then go to your P and say that you value his/her expertise on classroom management. When would be a good time that he/she could help you on improving classroom management? 1 of 2 things will happen. Most likely he/she will say yes and help you. Slight possibility, he/she will say they are too busy and you are on your own. If it is the first, listen to your P and let him/her come up with a plan. Since it is his/her plan, when you send a student to the office, you are just following his/her plan. He/she will support you because you are going off his/her plan. You now have admin support although you sacrifice some autonomy (probably not much).

If the P says you are on your own, then you will need to build a strict discipline system in your classroom without their support.

2. Since you don't have admin. support in the short term, I would find a system that will not require sending students to the office (or very rarely).

3. Classroom management is the key to everything in school. With it you can teach, enjoy teaching, and the students can learn. Without it, teachers end up not liking to teach, and students don't do as well. I would make Classroom Management the #1 priority. Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones is a book that will make your life so much easier. Teach Like a Champion is a also good, but more difficult to implement.

Good luck to you.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I have to be honest, sometimes the suggestions given to teachers on here baffle me.

I have really good classroom management skills. New teachers and student teachers are sent to my room to observe them.

That being said, my skills would be NOTHING if I did not have at least mediocre support from my administration. I have only so much authority in my classroom. The consequences I can dole out can be ignored by a student and his parents. Some students are total buttheads and will do whatever they please. I can't assign suspensions. I can't permanently remove a child from the class. My word holds no weight with some parents. If there was no 'next level' to bump to, I would be miserable.

9. readingrules12

Sep 15, 2013

I think this is very rude and unprofessional. Students who misbehave aren't "buttheads". They are making incorrect choices and need to receive appropriate consequences or interventions.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

some students that misbehave are indeed "buttheads." Some are a-holes. Facing reality does not make me unprofessional or rude.

I teach high school students. I work with students that are out on bail after being arrested for rape, assault and any number of other crimes. Thankfully most students are awesome. But some are not. And those that are not good people, to their core, do not respond to simple teacher directives all the time.

Are you one of those people that think everyone in society is good on a basic level? That Manson, Dahlmer, Bin Laden are just misunderstood gentlemen that just made incorrect choices? If you are, well, there's really no point in continuing a conversation. But if you're not, then I must ask - do you think these men became who they are/were once they left formal schooling? That they were just misunderstood children making incorrect choices until they "graduated" from school and then suddenly they had to be held to a real standard? That they couldn't qualify for a-hole status until they were out of the system?

11. readingrules12

Sep 15, 2013

Manson, Dahmer, Bin Laden? LOL No, I was talking high school students.

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 15, 2013

:thumb: You're right.
    :thumb: You're right. And.....
    :thumb: You're right.

Teachers that aren't in situations like this just don't get it and they've never HAD to "get it." They may be more blessed than they realize. I wish I had landed a spot in a school district where kids raise their hands, ask relevant questions, do assignments without a "try and make me do it" attitude and had parents who didn't tell me it was my problem to deal with--not theirs.

"futureteach24" - That's the lazy administrator cop-out..."it's a classroom management issue," ....that's them just not wanting to do their job; it's really NOT you. And when you say that other teachers reply what you've reported is a suspension consequence, I believe you....administrators will support some teachers and not others.

Seriously, start sending out resumes NOW, either for positions in education or another field. It's not worth the aggravation you are and will be going through. It sounds as if you're in a no-win situation. :(