NO SUCCESS FINDING A JOB! SO IRRITATING!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JXG, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 15, 2015

You can buy stamps online bros. I've really heard it all now. That excuse is NOT valid. You may think it is, but it's not. If you are not capable of buying a book of stamps you have no business being the teacher of record. None.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2015

:banghead:My sons who are both business professionals ( MBA accountant and telecom sales) and husband (retired LCDR, USN and sales professional ) have written follow up thank you emails/letters after interviews. You should make a memorable enough impression on an interview that you are remembered (hole in the wall? Really? This DOES NOT speak well of your interviews nor of the administrators wth whom you have interviewed). It's business etiquette, good networking and another opportunity to make an impression.

You surely are allowed under your disability payment rules to buy stamps, bros..regardless of what your dad allows. And if mom isnt 'allowed' to go to the post office :wow:, give it to your brother to mail, or stick it in your home mailbox for the postman to pick up...It's way overdue time for you to put on your big boy pants.

You might get a custodian to push a few desks around in August if you're lucky. They aren't going to put up your BBs...as a matter of fact, maintaining displays of student work is usually written into teacher job descriptions. People are empathetic, bros, but they aren't going to do your job for you.

Your math LD could certainly come into play. The resources for CCSS require critical thinking and application that is incredibly rigorous, sometimes laborious and very difficult or some young learners to wrap their heads around. A teacher needs a high degree of nimbleness and thinking on ones feet at any moment to successfully facilitate student math understanding under current standards.

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 15, 2015

Are you joking!!!!???? You must be. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this board! You need to move on from this career path. Please notify me when a district hires you because that is the day I will hand in my resignation letter.

If I have offended....oh well. This is offensive to me and all of the work that I and tons of others have put in to this. You do not deserve it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2015

I don't even know how to respond to this. Why can't you buy stamps online? Why is your mom not allowed to drive to the post office?

Where are you getting this information? Read any blog or magazine geared towards job seekers and they all say that sending a note after an interview is best practice. Here's an article from Forbes.

No custodian is going to do your bulletin boards for you. They are very busy. Bulletin boards are your job, not theirs.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2015

WOW!

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 15, 2015

Wow. First of all, the excuses are just getting absolutely ridiculous. Thank you letters are sent in many other professions. My father works in human resources and my mother is in sales. Both sent thank you notes when applying for jobs. In fact, the thank you note was the deciding factor in a job my mom got. It was between her and another person and they were having trouble deciding. Well, my mom sent a thank you note and the other person didn't. In a competitive market, I'd do EVERYTHING to stand out.

In your thank you note, I'd refer to something specific in the interview. For example, after one interview, I wrote about how much I enjoyed discussing a couple books with them. I was the one who brought up the books so I was pretty sure that would remind them who I was.

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Feb 15, 2015

We just had to hire some new teachers at my summer theatre job. Guess which ones were looked on favorably in the days after their initial interviews? The ones who followed up with us.

It's not archaic. It's common sense.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2015

Bros, you are an adult seeking a full-time job in which you will be responsible for many children every day. If you are unable to do something as basic as purchase stamps independently, I'm not sure how you will be able to have any job.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 15, 2015

My dad expects me to get a job, but doesn't understand my disabilities.

He demanded to have control over the bank account that I get SSI payments in, and screams at me whenever a dollar of it is spent, like he thinks it is his money. It's not. It's my ****ing money. Despite telling him multiple times, he doesn't understand that I cannot save money, so I spend it on various things and he yells at me weekly.

I don't know if I am remembered during interviews I just feel so small during them it's not like i'll get a job so it doesn't matter. You guys say i'm never getting a job so why does my performance in interviews even matter. I try my hardest during interviews. I attempt to maintain eye contact, I answer the questions with a steady voice and not too fast or too slow, somewhat contemplative. I will usually wait a few seconds before answering a question.

I am allowed to buy whatever I want with the SSI as long as I stay under the resource limit - if I had a representative payee, then there would be a very limited list of what could be bought with it, but I was deemed competent to manage money.

My mom can't go to the post office because she isn't allowed to drive that far anymore. She is only allowed to drive the five minutes too and from work.

The custodians around here are pretty nice and do things like that even for the teachers, usually the shorter ones. It is a perfectly reasonable accommodation that I cannot stand on something to set up a bulletin board - I could just have bulletin boards that have things up to as far as I can reach, though. Sure, might look a bit sloppy, but could have assistance decorating the top of the bulletin board, then I complete the rest, so it doesn't look super sloppy - but it's not like i'd ever be super great at doing a bulletin board with my spatial awareness. But then again, bulletin boards aren't there to be pretty, they are there to celebrate student work/accomplishments - that is the important thing.

Could you give me an example - something concrete - about how my math LD may come into play so I may evaluate if it could be a potential issue.

All of my interviews with the exception of one have lasted about 15-20 minutes because they "were just short interviews."

So nothing outside of the questions was discussed, as they were just asking basic questions, then ushering me out for the next candidate to come in immediately. I saw it happen to people before me in the interviews.

That seems more in the category of a thank you note, as a thank you note is sent in the days after an interview. Following up indicates inquiring at least two weeks later - unless it is something they need someone for soon, then a week later. But they don't do the courtesy of even telling a candidate the job isn't theirs even when they say they will inform people if they were or were not hired.

Guess i'll just live on SSI for the rest of my life, then!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2015

A short interview means you have limited time to make a compelling impression.

Regardless of whether a school calls to tell you that they went with someone else, you are in control of te impression you make. Sending a thank you note that's the educational equivalent of the one in the Forbes article Caesar cited is a good way to leave a good impression.

Custodians in my district are 'nice' too. But they aren't going to change BBs. They have a long list of their own job responsibilities, aren't paid as well as teachers, and can get a bit put off if their kindness is taken for granted...

I'm sorry your mom is having health issues that limit her diving, bros, but that's not what is preventing you from getting a stamp or mailing a post interview note.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 15, 2015

I had a 20 minute screening interview once and still managed to make meaningful connections that I could write about in my thank you notes. Take it as an opportunity to expand on an answer, for example. A thank you note takes a very short time to write or type but it can make a world of difference.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 15, 2015

What is the reason that you cannot save money? Is it a thing with SSI or a thing with you?

Again, you have an excuse for everything, even buying a **** stamp.

And you asked how your LD in math will limit you in teaching math, is this a serious question?

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 15, 2015

Bros, we're totally hijacking someone else's thread here, but you need to tell your caseworker that you need a new guardian for your SSI account. If need be, say that you need to pretend it's their request, not yours. Get a non-family member on it. That is how one of my friends on disability handled it when his POA started abusing the power of the purse.

Last thing I'm saying on the matter until this thread returns to its rightful topic. :hijack:

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2015

Why is this not a 'rightful topic'? All conversations take twists and turns. The advice given to bros could help others.

Also, it seems bros is control of his account but his dad has control issues.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2015

Some valid points have been made. I am now closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.