NO SUCCESS FINDING A JOB! SO IRRITATING!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JXG, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JXG

JXG Rookie

Jan 14, 2015

Hey Everyone!
    I'm from New Jersey and just got certified in K-6 and will have the K-12 Biology Certification when I get to do my Praxis. For now, I'm subbing in two districts and it's kind of taking a toll on me. I've been looking for jobs since right before I graduated and nothing. Every job posting I see calls for a HQ teacher. But I'm not HQ because I haven't had a job yet! How can I get HQ if no district is hiring anyone with a new certification? In the meantime, I've been subbing and I do well in it, but I'm really close to hating it. Like, I can't stand the instability, amongst other things. I'm willing to move out of state for a job. For example, I applied for registration at a job fair in California. I already have all the info as far as out of state certification is concerned. I wasn't qualified because I need a standard license, which I can't get without a permanent job!!!! This is like the bad date that won't end!!!! I'm considering looking at other avenues instead of being a teacher. What careers can I have with an education major? And what do I do in my situation? It's not like I'm sitting on my butt doing nothing. I'm currently in graduate school studying Educational Technology, actively applying and working. What do I do!!?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2015

Are you willing to relocate?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2015

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jan 14, 2015

HQ does not necessarily mean experience, just certifications. for example if you wanted to teacher middle school special ed math, you need special ed certification as well as mid-level math. understand? full-time experience is just a benefit. subbing is considered experience and it gets your foot in the door. don't stress. most people on here got hired by subbing. that's what i hope happens for me. good luck!

6. JXG

JXG Rookie

Jan 14, 2015

Yes I am! I applied for registration for a teacher job fair in California, but I wasn't qualified because I didn't have a standard license. It's okay if it's out of state but it has to be standard.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 15, 2015

I'm in NJ. Finished student teaching December 2013, still haven't gotten a job. Due to disabilities, I have a limited range in which I can travel, which greatly limits the number of districts I can apply to. I've still had five interviews since I started applying for jobs in March/April 2014. None have resulted in a job so far, but the most recent one was only a week ago, so we'll see.

Browse the sites of local districts, k12jobspot, njschooljobs, and njhire.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2015

If you are willing to relocate, try Florida. Many districts, especially in central Florida are hurting for teachers. You can apply for a temp license (statement of eligibility), which will get you in the job pools. When you a get a job, you have time to fulfill the requirements for your permanent certification.

9. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jan 15, 2015

I may be reading the site czacza linked wrong, but I'm under the impression NJ teachers are HQ as long as they are certified and pass the content exams.

Here is the chart I found from czacza's link: http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/nclb/hqtcharts.pdf

K-6 teachers can demonstrate HQ status by passing the Praxis. This is the same in Kansas. I'm a new teacher graduate and I've yet to find a job; however, my teaching license has a HQ section that states I'm HQ to teach in my area because I passed my content exams. HQ is a federal thing, I wouldn't think states would stray too far from it.

Again, I could be wrong and it could be totally different in NJ, but you're HQ according to the chart provided you passed your Praxis II Elementary Content Knowledge Test.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2015

Do the forums have a setting that automatically posts this from you whenever someone says he or she is looking for a job? :lol:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2015

No, but they should! :lol:

I always ask because my state (Nevada) is almost always severely short on teachers. Anyone who can pass a background check and qualifies for a teaching license in this state should definitely consider moving here.

12. JXG

JXG Rookie

Jan 15, 2015

I finished student teaching the same time as you. I started looking for jobs around April and nothing. Good Luck on your job search!

I was thinking about Florida as well. on Teachers-Teachers.com, I see a lot of postings from West Palm Beach, FL.

I've seen that chart and you're totally right. In the application, it tells you if you're HQ, and the site that czacza sent tells you what to write when that question pops up. It says that you should write that you're a newly certified teacher, therefore the HQ forms must be filled upon HIRE. I wish there was some indication on my certification that says that I'm HQ.

They SHOULD do that!! p.s. love your username!! lol

I've read many articles about the Nevada (primarily Clark County) teacher shortages. Why do you think that there is always such a shortage?

13. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Jan 15, 2015

Stay calm. It took me three years to the day I started subbing to find a job. I hear you. Expand your search. Look for leave-replacement positions and jobs in very rural areas or some of the better parts of the inner city. As soon as I went rural I was getting more calls than I had ever gotten (especially for those places where absolutely no one wants to get stuck cause it's a hole in the ground town near a military base with absolutely nothing to do but drive out of town). I eventually ended up getting a job in the inner city. Maybe look in Trenton. A lot of teachers in the suburbs get those jobs after they go for less desirable jobs. You'll get something. Just work hard on your interviews, practice scenario-based questions, and expand your portfolio. If anything, schools want to see individual growth toward highly qualified teacher status. Plus, as far as I know, highly qualified just weeds out those who got an advanced certificate with a bachelors from people who legitimately have a master's degree, as far as I know. It's just a way of separating the different methods of gaining teacher certification.

Talk up your good qualities and research the school and the principal's track record to see what kind of teachers he likes.

Also, it never hurts to network. Have you thought private schools? Privates don't always want certified teachers. I know a woman who teaches science at a private school whose only qualification for the job is intense graduate-level science coursework.

By privates I mean reach out to Carney and Sandoe. They got me tons of interviews with international private schools. Just be aware that privates, from my experience, anyways, give huge preference to people who can coach sports or run after school clubs. If you play sports, you are in good for the private sector.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2015

Right now it's a combination of increased enrollment, retirements, and the superintendent's initiative to reduce class sizes.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 16, 2015

In NJ, I know Paterson always seems to be posting jobs - a teacher who lives on my street (graduated a year before me from college) keeps posting on facebook about how they are short on teachers - like at the beginning of the year, something like 40 positions were unfilled.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2015

Do you I know Paterson, bros? There's a reason why they are short on teachers. Not everyone is interested in teaching in urban, high crime
    climates.

17. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 16, 2015

Yeah, I know how Paterson is.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2015

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jan 17, 2015

Do you have anything in your background that may raise some red flags?

20. JXG

JXG Rookie

Jan 21, 2015

Thanks for the info. I applied to Carney and Sandoe and they told me they couldn't help me :(

What exactly would raise some red flags? I don't think I have anything like that.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2015

Baltimore City PS in Maryland is hiring year round. This district is not for everyone, but the pay is good and we have a strong Union. HS Bio teachers are in high demand here because Bio is one of the four courses that are assessed by the state.

I am from New Jersey - Essex County - and it is a less-than-3-hour drive back to NJ to visit my family.

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2015

I am from NJ and I know about Patterson so I get your point, but I believe that if you need a job, you take a job. Waiting for the ideal job/district - especially for brand new teachers - is not always realistic or the best way to approach things.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 24, 2015

That's why I suggested it - I just assumed the user would research a district a bit before applying.

24. Merc

Merc Rookie

Feb 6, 2015

Newark Public Schools. STEM teachers are always in demand there. Largest district in the state. Working there will help/force you to become an expert at classroom management, inter-office politics and CYA paperwork. The job is always interesting, challenging and full of surprises. I highly recommend it.

25. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 7, 2015

My aunt has worked in Paterson for 25 years and she loves it. :) She says the reason why so many positions are unfilled is because they haven't had a contract for a couple of years so many people left.

It's understandable that working in a place like that is not for everyone but I do agree when you're starting out, you should take what you can get for the experience. I'm sure you would learn a lot working there!

26. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 7, 2015

Trust me, I understand the frustration. I live in NJ as well. I graduated in May 2013 and despite hearing how hard it was to get a job (especially in elementary) pretty much everyone I graduated with got a job right away while I was still working as a teaching assistant. I finally landed a maternity leave position yesterday after almost two years! So you definitely need a lot of patience and you need to be flexible. Subbing is really good and the K-12 biology cert will help you as well. Good luck. :)

27. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 7, 2015

28. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 7, 2015

It took me almost 2 years to get my job. It was a maternity leave position that turned full time for me. Before that I subbed in a large school district and got no where. Some advice is to put resumes out everywhere. I applied to so many openings and went on so many interviews (my interview skills definitely improved!). Be open to anything, like a previous poster said apply to districts that you may not find as desirable, but hey it's that experience that every one is looking for. As far as the HQ goes, that is a piece of paper filled out by your district once you're in the room teaching (of course if the guidelines are met). I would also suggest to look in to taking other Praxis exams in middle school math and language arts. That would make you much more marketable.

I totally understand your frustration because I have been there, but don't give up.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 8, 2015

I've been looking since March/April of last year. Nothing so far. Been on like six interviews, though. Never called back for a second.

30. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 8, 2015

Well all I can tell you is to keep looking/applying even when it feels discouraging. Your situation with interviews is very real for many people, including me. And get experience any way you can (subbing, etc.) Good luck!

31. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 8, 2015

No districts that I can get to have called me for subbing. Only ones where I would have to spend more in cab fare than I would earn as a sub have called.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Don't you see the value of gaining much needed experience in taking those sub jobs, bros? Even if you're out of pocket a few bucks, you would be building your resume, skills and confidence...as well as forming a professional 'network':2cents:

33. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 9, 2015

I would be out of pocket over $50 a day after getting a paycheck.

So yeah. Not worth it one bit.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

I think that you might be a little short-sighted on this one. Even a handful of jobs, and therefore maybe a few hundred bucks, could give you some valuable experience and resume fodder.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Doesnt seem you care for job hunting advice, but..Your resume and interviews aren't enough, bros. You arent getting second imterviews or job offers. You need some experience make your resume more compelling and to give you more to speak about on interviews. $50 every other week or so is more than worth it, IMO. Consider it an investment in yourself...just like a good haircut, or new dress shirt, pair of shoes or attaché.

36. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

I care for job hunting advice that is actually useful and applicable to my situation.

I cannot drive a car. I will never be able to drive a car. Therefore, I cannot get to many job opportunities, even if they are 30 minutes away, as they would cost anywhere from $30 to $60 one way just for an interview. It would take 3 hours to get that 30 minutes by public transit, which is completely and utterly unreasonable.

I cannot use the paratransit in my county, as it only operates from 9 AM to 2 PM and it requires a reservation a minimum of 14 days in advance.

I cannot move out of my parents house, as I would be unable to get to doctor's appointments and I do not have the skills needed to live independently. I cannot dress myself in a dress shirt. I cannot use a knife to cut food. So I am pretty much unable to prepare myself any meal unless it is microwaveable, and therefore, very unhealthy.

So, the fact of the matter is that I am not the typical person fresh out of college who can go "Yay! I'm out of college! Time for me to go anywhere I feel like because I am normal!"

No. I am disabled. I have limitations and I fully acknowledge my limitations. I am realistic with my disabilities and I know that I can teach. I have nine districts in the nearby area who would be reasonable in cost to get to if I had a full time job there. Three of them would be reasonable to substitute in. One hasn't put a new substitute teacher on their sub list in over a year. The others haven't posted for substitute teachers since I have began my job search. I have applied to any and all jobs in education (that are full time with benefits, and I cannot work part time without benefits, as I would lose my health coverage, and I have just been switched to very expensive medication) outside of my area which are a reasonable distance (less than an hour one way) by public transit. I received an interview at one school, and another, they had to cancel the interview despite great interest on their part, as the home district had decided to delay the student's placement in the private school, so there was no position to be had.

$50 every week would be $200-$250 a month, depending on the length of the month. Add in the tip for the taxi, then it's more like $225-$275. There goes a large chunk of my SSI check on working in a district that if I were to get a full time job, cab fares would run me around 21-25 thousand per school year (assuming a school year of 181 days). That would be over half of my first year's pay.

I think of things in the long term. I do not see over $20,000 a year going to impairment related work expenses for a full time position to be a good investment.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

Bros, we know your history. You need not interview for or accept a contacted full time job with a school outside your circle of acceptable districts. Subbing for experience, however...yeah, you might consider venturing outside those limits.

38. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2015

We all know your situation. We also know how sometimes you have to spend money to end up making money, especially when making money depends highly on having experience.

We are talking about subbing every now and then, not working full time. But even if it was full time, aside from the long commute, it isn't as if you have huge bills to pay with your salary. You have told us what bills you have. So, if your big bill is transportation, so what. You get experience so you can move to a closer district and keep most of your paycheck in a few years. You do realize that people that have their own transportation pay a lot to commute when they have long commutes.

What bills do you have, bros? If half of your paycheck goes to transportation for a year or two, will you be able to pay your other bills?

And sitting at home getting no experience is a good investment?

It also seems that you haven't bothered to take out what you would have spent commuting if you were able to drive. It would cost you about 10K a year to do so in a long commute. Between insurance, car cost, gas, tolls, regular maintenance, and unexpected repairs it would cost anyone with a long commute 10K to get to work. So, yes, it costs you more, but not getting experience isn't helping you get a job.

Bros, by eliminating jobs because of the cost of a long commute is doing the exact opposite of thinking long-term. Long term is years down the road, not just your paycheck for the year. Where do you think you will be in 5 years of you eliminate long commutes because you might have to pay 10K more than someone with transportation. You will be sitting in your house talking about thinking long-term. If you truly were thinking long-term, you would realize what we are trying to tell you. Spending some money now to get sub jobs that will help build your resume and give more in-class experience to talk about OR finding a job where you might have to spend more to commute that will give you full school-year experience is thinking LONG-TERM. Looking just at the cost for the year is not.

So, bros, with no subbing experience and no full-time teaching job to put on a resume, what are you going to have other than excuses to tell a potential employer. How will that conversation help you get a job?

I'm starting to wonder if fear or lack of self-confidence is leading to some (not all) of your excuses.

39. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

People who have their own transportation have different costs than I do, but they are more freedom than I do. They can drive 30 minutes away without worrying about it costing them $30-$60 one way. It's just the cost of gas (and the other costs such as car insurance). They can go wherever they want, whenever they want. I can't. I can only leave the house when I plan far in advance because that's how it works when you can't drive and public transit isn't that good.

It's different when everyone assumes everyone can drive. All of my college professors assumed that every single student could drive, because that is the normal rite of passage for a teenager in the US. I didn't even start driving lessons until 18, then was told I could never drive at 19.

Here's an example:
    Today, a town about a 35 minute drive away from me posted multiple jobs that I would qualify for and probably get an interview for at least one of them.

I can't apply for any of those jobs. Why? It would probably cost me $85 one way before tip to get there.

If I could drive? That would be an easy decision - i'd just send in the application without a second thought about transportation.

But when a job listing gets posted, I have to see how far away it is from my house OR how easily accessible it is from the train (like some schools i've applied to would be like take the train, then take a taxi 5-6 miles to the school).

I've applied to every district nearby for subbing [that has posted a substitute teacher job posting]. Only one has called me and there was no way for me to attend that interview - I was getting a medical test done that there was no way to delay (the person who does the testing was going to go on vacation for 4 weeks after doing the testing for me), as it needed to be done right away. I asked the district if they would interview me the next week, they said that they were only interviewing subs on the three days the test was being conducted and they would not interview subs beyond those dates.

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2015

Bros, I did some research about programs available to you if you wanted to make some changes in your life, but I decided against posting them. I apologize for commenting to you. I said I wouldn't do it again, but I did. I'm sorry. I won't make any suggestions from now on.

41. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 10, 2015

Bros, heres some food for thought.

I have coworkers that drive over a bridge daily to get to work that costs them $15 a day with about an hour commute from the suburbs into the city. So factor in gas and such.

I have another coworker who uses the commuter rail and the subway who has a 2 hour commute and pays well over $400 a month for transportation costs.

It CAN be done. If someone can do the second scenario, you can too. It's their first job. They are hungry for it and continue to do the commute because they love their job and have the desire to keep working. One day they totally hope it'll pay off to get them the experience to land a position closer to home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.