No story this week... What to do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nc3teacher, Oct 25, 2008.

1. nc3teacher

nc3teacher Rookie

Oct 25, 2008

We are not having a story from the book this week because we will be taking our county's "First Quarter Assessment. I'm looking for some ideas to keep the students busy in both reading and writing without using our Basal. Thanks in advance. (I teach 3rd grade by the way)

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 25, 2008

How about something to do with Halloween? I remember back in 5th grade, we did this great writing report where we had to research about pumpkins and write something about them and draw pictures.

4. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Oct 26, 2008

I'm in your same boat. I'm doing some review lessons on skills from previous stories since many of my students haven't shown mastery. Then I'm throwing in a writing lesson or 2.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 26, 2008

I rarely use basals, but there are tons of other activities.

Do you get Time for Kids or Scholastic?
    Articles from the newspaper; you may have to read together, but then do independent work after.
    Self-selected reading at independent level, and accompanying writing activity.
    A short novel unit.
    Reader's theatre.
    Poetry potpourri.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2008

Do you have a class library? How about 'reading workshop' time...Have a mini lesson on a skill you want them to try in their independent books and send them off with their books from your class library. You could create some kind of response sheet to go with the lesson for accountability.

7. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 26, 2008

A friend of mine has decided that they will study bats, pumpkins and spiders this week. She has made some powerpoints, has some short non-fiction books and magazine articles about those topics. She is incorporating reading, writing, science, and art. She does it every year and the kids love it.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 26, 2008

I was going to suggest poetry as well. Hist Wist by e.e. cummings is perfect for Halloween. There are different interpretations, but the one I like best is kids dressing up and going to a party or trick-or-treating.

How about printing articles off of the Internet? I'm sure you could find something that would be interesting and at your kids' reading level.