No step increase for previous teaching in the same field?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Electron, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

It turns out that my district won't give me my (small!) first-couple-of-years step increases for college teaching while in grad school.

I was teaching freshman and sophomore physics, technically full-time - the exact same level I now teach to smart HS juniors and seniors. It had previously been implied that the district would give step for this, although the HR director, who is otherwise a great person, denies that that was the case. Other districts in my state do give step increases for this stuff, by the way.

The laughable bit is that the other day I turned down a great job offer (as a scientist, not a teacher) from someone I used to work for; for those exact same couple of years in grad school they were offering me a very tidy salary indeed (rather more than our P. earns, I believe!). I am sorely tempted to bring this up to the district, shortly before turning in my resignation letter and skipping off to the new job, but I owe it to my students to stick it out at least until the end of this year.

It's not even the salary difference; I mean, I knew about that already. You don't become a teacher to earn the big bucks. It's the insulting things - the policies that penalize the best and hardest-to-retain teachers. This step issue penalizes HS advanced science teachers, because they are the most likely to have taught in grad school. Some of the best and most proven teachers in all subjects may soon be penalized as well, because there is talk of ending pay increases for National Board certified teachers.

I know the budget crunch is hitting hard, but please -- penalizing the most qualified or hard-to-find teachers is not the answer!! :banghead:

3. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Could your union help? I subbed in my district over 120 days before getting hired full time and they gave me a year credit.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 6, 2008

I taught for 8 years. I stayed home for the next eight raising my sons. I then returned to teaching. The superintendent who hired me had previously been my principal. He could have started me on any step he wanted (below year 8) but he placed me on step 4. I was lucky. I know several teachers who had 5 - 6 years prior teaching experience and began on step 1 or 2. It is up to the superintendent as to where you start. Our union would have nothing to do with this because the new teacher is not yet part of the union . Plus if he or she was a union member that would be negotiating a contract by yourself which is a number 1 reason for a grievance to be filed.

5. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

Janlee, the thing is that my district is very good about giving appropriate step increases in general, particularly from other jobs in this state. That's what took me by surprise about this.

6. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

I'm appalled on your behalf! I can't say I'm terribly surprised, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable. I can't understand why (or how!) they could fail to give you any credit for prior teaching experience. Way to attract competent instructors, you know?

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 6, 2008

And then they wonder why qualified teachers are hard to find. Harumph.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2008

Unfortunately teaching will never pay the same as working in industry but most places I know will try to get science teachers especially chemistry and physics even if they have to pay more. Right now I am getiing paid the same as a teacher with 15 years experience even though I have only taught 10 years. I live in an area that is heavy with industry and with a double degree in chemistry and physics, I could go anywhere and double my salary and my principal knows that so he does what he can to keep me.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 6, 2008

Do you have anything in writing that would imply you would be given this step increase? If you are a union member I would ask around and see if other members were given this increase. If they were you could probably go after your district on "past practice". You union would be able to file a grievance.

10. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

Janlee, if you look on the "New Hired Teachers" thread you'll see I'm in the South-East. Therefore I am unfamiliar with one of the terms you used: what's a "union"? Are those the things that make you cry when you peel back the layers? Oh, wait.. ;)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2008

I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to say sorry this is happening to you.

12. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

STG - you make me feel like a real whiner! I'm grousing about two years of step and throwing in the stuff about finding other jobs, when you have had such a struggle to even find a job! Can I get some cheese with my whine? :D

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2008

Don't worry about it, Electron!! I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I would be feeling the same way if I was told I would be getting one salary, just to find out I was getting less.