No sports experience - Math and Sports Position

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TheQuevin, Mar 27, 2017.

1. TheQuevin

TheQuevin Guest

Mar 27, 2017

Hello all!

I have a question to ask regarding a new position I applied for. As background information, I recently graduated and am looking for a teaching position in San Antonio, Texas. I found one with a favorable district for Math 7/8, which is my ideal age group, however the position also states "Tennis Coach." I have never been a sports person, and have only played tennis a few times in my life as a child. I just applied to this position, so am not even sure if I will be called for it, but I am not sure what to think about teaching math and having to coach a sport. Is there any advice that you guys have about having to teach a sport? What about those of us that are not sports people at all? Would I be miserable? Would I even be able to learn the sport well enough to teach these kids by August? Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2017

I wouldn't be comfortable coaching a sport I don't have any real knowledge of. You would be expected, I suspect, to do much more than teach the sport to kids who are beginners.

MLB711 and Caesar753 like this.
  4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 27, 2017

That seems really interesting to me that a specific teaching position would also be linked to a specific coaching position. In my current district we don't have a lot of middle school sports teams, and for most of them our regular PE teacher also coaches them or someone else from the community does it.

However, since it's a middle school sports team, perhaps they are not as concerned with having someone with tennis experience as they are just having an adult to supervise? When I was first looking for a job I applied to one that seemed perfect on paper and the interview was going amazingly. Then they asked if I played any sports. I mentioned that I had been an avid horseback rider since childhood but did not play any organized sports. I also mentioned yoga was a hobby, and the assistant principal said, "So, if you do yoga, you could probably also coach a dance team, right? And you said you were a runner. We do need someone for track this year..." Clearly my lack of coaching experience was not a problem.

I was not comfortable with that at all and it was a big reason I turned down the job.

5. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Mar 27, 2017

Personally speaking, I would not do it. I am much like you - I have never been big into sports, haven't played any sports since junior high, and would be clueless in trying to coach a sport.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 27, 2017

I'm from an area close to SA. If you are applying for teaching/coaching position, you will need to get hiring approval from the Athletic Director as well as the P. I'd apply anyway as there may be some wiggle room for those hiring. Sometimes they will move assignments around to get the candidate they want.

In this area, coaches are usually folks interested in coaching (usually exclusively) and who have experience in that sport. I've never heard of a teacher without sport experience being hired to coach. (Coach's wife)

7. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

Usually, there's a requirement to have a certain amount of coaching or playing experience in that particular sport.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2017

Don't take on a coaching job for or pretend that you have enough know how to coach a sport for which you have VERY LIMITED experience. Kids will see right through your inexperience and parents/admin want their kids to have a coach who knows what he/she is doing and who is able to provide a quality program

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017