No Spend Challenge

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 29, 2019

I'm going to attempt to not spend any of my own money on classroom necessities this year.

I do have a budget which I will respect and try to use efficiently. I will not fall for "oh, it's just a few dollars here and there".

I will allow myself room for must-have pretties of no significant educational consequences. But the basics, well, make do or do without.

Wish me luck.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 29, 2019

I started this my 4th year of teaching and am about to enter year 10. I've spent very little over the years. A few years ago I started using planbook.com (used to be $12 per year, now it's $15). I really like the lay out and I'd already wasted a lot of time trying to create my own thing in google docs and couldn't come up with anything I like. The time saved is worth the small amount of money per year. However, I recently learned about planboard.com, which is similar but free for individual teachers, so I'm going to at least try that this year.

I haven't purchased a single other thing. I very much wish other teachers would do this so that schools/districts would step up and actually provide appropriate materials and supplies. Currently, they see no reason to because teachers are often downright happy to buy their own supplies! When I say anything about not buying my own things/making do with what we have at school, the other teachers look at me like I have 3 heads.

ms.irene, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2019

Same. The only things I've bought for this year were a Plum Planner (because, like waterfall, I've found something that suits my personal planning style, I like it, and don't mind paying for it in order to make my life easier), a new teacher bag/backpack (just because I wanted it), and an insulated pouch (like a small lunchbox for snacks). Other than that, I refuse to spend my own money anymore. If it won't be something that I use directly to make my own life easier, I don't buy it. Fortunately, my principal is willing to provide everything the kids need and then some. Typically, in past years, I would even buy my own pens, just because I had specific preferences and didn't like the ones provided by the school. Now, I have a principal who gives us a link to an online catalog and an order form. We fill it out with whatever we want, and the secretary orders it. So I get the pens that I prefer, and no money comes out of my own pocket. I do buy a lot of PD type books, but I consider those to be for my own professional growth and don't mind spending the money on them. I no longer pay for books for my classroom library, however. Those either get purchased with school funds, or I use Scholastic points.

Backroads likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 30, 2019

Let me suggest that you share your strategy and resolve for the "no spend challenge" with team-mates and other teachers. I never used all of my allotted money at school, while those around me struggled. I would order some of their necessities and pass them along. This helped others save their hard earned money, while assuring all students had what they need. Making it known that you would utilize any surpluses for student needs only may bring you some financial help.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 30, 2019

Will do.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:58 PM

The school year hasn't even started yet, and I've already spent $175. ugh. I'm hopeless when it comes to a notebook, marker, and colored pencil sale.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:15 PM

Best of luck!

I don't tend to spend much on necessities (we get $300 from PTSA and $50 from the school budget), but can't resist splurging here and there for little gifts for the kiddos. We won't even speak of the amount I paid for a class set of books last spring ;) At least that's all optional, though.

Backroads likes this.
  10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:20 PM

I usually don't spend a lot on my classroom, unless I forget to order something and need it last-minute :) I get $80 per class section, so $400 total. So far, this year I have only bought some washi tape just for fun, cup hooks to hang my cell phone holder, and supplies for the Marshmallow Challenge which I do on the first day.

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:21 PM

12. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:26 PM

If I did this challenge some of my students would not even have pencils or paper which students must be provided by law.... It is a sticky situation.

MrTempest, ms.irene and Tired Teacher like this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:28 PM

I used to spend a lot every year. I wish I had all of the $ I wasted. Now I only buy something if it is going to make my life a lot easier or saves a lot of time. I have a budget for it. ( Dave Ramsey and I worked it out. lol)
    We get very little budget $. The school gives us 250.00 a yr. We don't have as many resources as we need, but I am thankful for what we have. I have seen some southern schools that were in shambles.
    Good luck staying within your budget. I hope you can do it! :)

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:49 PM

... But if it's required by law, isn't your school legally required to provide it?

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:54 PM

I've purchased stickers and two posters so far. These were optional items that I chose to get, not items that I need to get to do my job. I feel lucky to teach somewhere where this is possible, as I know it's not the case in many areas. We have supportive families, and if there are any basic supplies that students must have, parents are normally able to help provide them.

When we do run short on supplies, I also take the "make do or do without" attitude. When students absolutely know I'm out of pencils, they seem to do a slightly better job keeping track of theirs and/or borrowing from a friend.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 4:08 PM