No Spelling?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by themilocat, Sep 3, 2011.

1. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Sep 3, 2011

I just started in a large school district, and learned that there are no spelling lists/tests allowed! We are supposed to encourage kids to look up words in their dictionaries.

Anyone else experience this? How does it work for you? Do your students know how to spell words????

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

Can you still do word work/word study?

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to teach spelling either. Kids are just supposed to learn how to spell in their own time through writing and reading instruction. It stinks! Our annual spelling bee is a joke. The same few kids always end up placing while others discover...gasp...that they're lousy spellers. It's awful I don't get it. We have to sneak spelling instruction and hope the P doesn't walk in and catch us...

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2011

Hmm..never heard of that. Not allowing teachers to teach spelling or give tests. What is next--no teaching Social Studies students need to google everything instead? Amazed parents are okay with no spelling tests in 5th grade. If you can, I would use the spelling words on edhelper.com. Otherwise, see what your principal will allow you to do as far as teaching spelling.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2011

We don't do spelling either. It's not really that we're not allowed, it's just not something that we do. We were doing word study using Words Their Way previously, but when our ELA time got cut from 165 minutes to 70 minutes a day, we cut that out. The kids do need practice with spelling, but weekly spelling tests aren't the only way to do that. I work with them individually and in small groups on word work using their own independent writing.