No Snack?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsV, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Hey everyone,
    I am a first year teacher and I am currently writing my classroom handbook. I have debated and debated on snack in my classroom. I am leaning more towards not having snack.

We did snack for the first half of the year in my student teaching and it was horrible. We ended up with huge messes, it took way too much time to pass out and eat and the kids were very picky.

To add to this, I have just found out I have a child with a wide range of food allergies in my classroom.

Is it unheard of to not have snack in a first grade classroom?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2007

It's hard for me not to have a snack during the day. I'd really struggle if I couldn't have a little something during my prep period.

Snack shouldn't be a horrendously messy, chaotic time. Rather than doing away with it, you might consider implementing some new snack time procedures to help control it.

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I'm not a fan of having snack either though I've always had it. I've always just had kids bring in their own snack, but it is always an issue if someone forgets their snack. Also, sharing food can be a concern if there are allergies! I tell my kids that snack is a privelege and that if things are not cleaned up or behavior is poor during snack, we will not have it the next day. This has helped to keep things from being too messy (though you can't avoid a few accidents and spills!)

I'm sure it's not unheard of to not have snack, but you might have some hungry students (which impedes learning). When is your lunch? If it's early enough, perhaps that wouldn't be an issue though . Otherwise, you could just hand out a big pretzel stick or something small to tide them over if you didn't want to do a full-blown snack. These snacks could be donated by parents.

5. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

We did away with snack last year. Our principal is on this health food kick and he revamped snacks, party food, everything. He sent out a multi-page food guide at the beginning of the year. No prepackaged foods. Everything had to be prepared fresh. Like I have time to cut 22 oranges for snack. I don't have an aide. And I don't think sharp knives should be kept in my classroom. Nothing with any sugar added. I know you can find snacks with no sugar added but they are rare and generally more expensive then their regular counterparts. Any fruit snacks had to be 100% fruit with no additives.

It was all very over whelming. So the first grade team decided to end the tradition of snacks. Nobody died. Nobody suffered ill effects. In fact the kids didn't even miss it! They actually seemed to do a better job eating their lunch.

Parents were a different story. It took them the whole year to get used to it. No more cupcakes or cookies for Birthdays. All party food had to be approved by the principal. That was fun!

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Last year snack was pretty successful during the first half. Familes generally brought in decent snacks: Goldfish, grapes, apples, raisons (sp?), and graham crackers. Then something happened and by the end of he year I have Little Debbie Snacks, pudding, jello, and doughnuts coming it. Then the last month I had maybe one or two kids actually bring snack. It got expensive for me to supply healthy snacks. This year I will let kids bring individual snacks. I'll have some things just in case for a kid that forgets it or can't afford it. Snack time will also be a time for independent reading.

7. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

The school I worked at last year only allowed fresh fruits, veggies and cheese. No dip or anything like that was allowed. It was a lot less messy with these stricte rules. The parents had the choice to send their own snack or to buy a school snack.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

I didn't have snack time in my classroom last year. The students were allowed to bring a snack out to recess if they wanted one. But no one ever brought one.

9. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I forgot to add that we have new state health food related guidelines. They are the same as what you all mentioned above, we can not have any sugar and they have to be "healthy". I have to send out my student handbook tomorrow and I still have not made that decision on snacks. I was thinking of the child with the food allergy, what if she can not even be in contact with certain foods?

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

I think I am worse than the kids. I have to have my morning snack or my stomach is rumbling. And I do eat a good breakfast every morning. I do encourage the kids to bring in something healthy.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

Maybe put in your handbook due to certain food allergies we will not being having snack time this year. Or you could ask for donations of "healthy snacks" and have a list. IF the kids want it they can take it if they dont' want it than they get nothing.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

We have lunch right in the middle of the day. If we had a really early lunch, or a really late lunch, then we'd probably do snack. But I don't think we need it with our schedule.

13. lifelongreader

lifelongreader New Member

Aug 8, 2007

snack management

I have always had snack in my room. I don't think I could give up my own snack! I used to pass it out, but it took too long. This year everyone brought their own box of crackers which I labeled down the side and stored on a low shelf. That way they could come in from recess, take their box and a paper towel, and serve themselves. They knew that they had to have their white boards out for the next activity and they could nibble while they worked. It was much better than in past years. For a few kids who needed help with portion control, we agreed on a number of crackers and wrote it on the box as a reminder.
    I kept a stack of pre-made snack notes that the children took and put in their take-home folder when their box was running low.

14. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

We start school at 8:55 and have lunch at 12:15. Is that a late lunch?

For those of you who do snack where the kids bring in their own. What kind of guidelines did you put on it (i.e. non messy, healthy ect.)? What did you do for the kids who were never sent a snack from home?

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

I sent home a list of healthy snack options. Most parents cooperated, while others flat out told me they didn't care what the kids ate. If some parents never brought snack, I would simply put a note in the folder that said we are low on snack and could use some help.

16. cougars5

cougars5 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

We have milk only for snack mid morning. It seems to be enough to curb their hunger until lunch time.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

What time is your lunch? My kids dont eat till 12:15ish. Thats a long morning for them from 8:30-12:15. Most don't eat breakfast so I always have a morning snack at 10am.
    IN the past the other kinder teachers had an afternoon snack, I followed that when I came in and took over but this year I am getting rid of it and just keep the morning one.
    I admit I get hungry to in the morning too. I think it is important that they have something to eat. I try and promote healthy snacks and I always bring a healthy snack for myself.
    You can make it a working snack, have them read or something.

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

Our morning is 8:30-11:15
    Lunch 11:15-11:50
    Afternoon including specials 11:50-2:30

19. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I have just started snack today. the kids were hungry and feeling sluggish, so I handed out pretzels in little cups. They loved it! It was easy and not messy at all. Their little tummies were really hungry and I could use a snack also to help. I told them while they were working on their language arts I would pass out pretzels to those that were quiet...they all got a little dixie cup filled. Many of my students come from low economic houses so any extra nutrition will help them out. I also bought cheerios and will also buy some apples next week. I try and stay with the healthy low fat foods as some of my children are obese.

20. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

We have lunch at 10:40, so snacktime is pretty important to us! I send home a note at the beginning of the semester and assign each child's family a week to be responsible for snacks. I ask that the snacks be something healthy and something that is easy for the kids to eat with their hands (we take it outside with us during our afternoon recess). Some parents don't/can't help with snacks, so I just keep extras on hand in case.

21. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

We start school at 8, and eat lunch at 10:30. :unsure: Even though all the K classes don't do it, I feel that the kids really need to eat something for a snack since they don't go home until 3. Therefore, we have a "Learning Snack" every day around 1:00 to 1:30 (depending on schedule.)

What we snack on are relatively healthy (and un-messy) things - Chex or Froot Loops, pretzels, Goldfish, Cheese Nips, Apple Jacks, popcorn, etc. Much of the time, the parents contribute the snacks (I send home a sheet at the beginning of the year so they can sign up to help), and I sometimes buy them myself.

They are a "learning" snack because I always have the kids do something with the food before they're allowed to eat it. For example, they count popcorn kernels, sort or graph Froot Loops, make letters or numbers with pretzels, estimate how many Chex are in a handful, count the holes in one Ritz cracker and then do a number sentence to find out how many holes are in ALL their crackers, and so on.

Therefore, snack time also counts as math time (or language arts, if we're making letters), and not "non-instructional" time. :)

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

We don't have snack in 1/2 our preschool programs.

You also need to think about rodents/bugs.

You could tell families to send a snack if they want and then kids can eat it at recess if they want (you'd bring a trash can outside).

I think snack serves a purpose in Pre-K (socializing, manners, etc)... not sure it is needed beyond that.

We had it in my first grade student teaching and it went pretty smoothly. The kids would snack during the beginning of Math. The teacher (or myself) would pick a snack and give two choices. The kids got a small amount of whatever they chose. It was usually like a handful of cheese goldfish or a pretzel stick as a choice.