no show--now what

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 30, 2008

We have parent teacher conferences coming up and One of my parents wanted to have hers early so I said no problem and it was scheduled for today. I confirmed on Monday and sent a reminder home yesterday. Well she was a no-show. I rather not get into specifics but this parent has been very rude to me the whole year. She writes me rude notes in her child's planner like__________ better not come home again with blisters on his hands from the monkey bars, and why was my child's school photo so bad you should have made sure is was better--umm I am not the photographer!She also insisted and put up a stink to have her conference early and I obliged and she didnt even show! She has done other rude things as well, but my question is What should I write in a letter to send home tomorrow. I guess something like sorry I missed you yesterday ect..

I cannot allow her to come on Wednesday which is parent/teacher conference day b/c I dont have an open slot. I know she will probably run to the P over that!

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 30, 2008

I would ask the principal, "Ms. Parent asked for an early conference but did not show. I am completely booked for conference night. Do we have a policy for making this up?" (or something to that effect).

The P knows that it HAD been scheduled then, so if mom calls him, he is in the loop.

What an icky situation. I hope it works out for you!

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2008

Please start saving the emails and documenting all communication with this parent. I agree that you need to bring the principal up to speed about this. Your P should be able to back you up - and may need to if the communication escalates.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2008

Don't tell her you're "sorry". Tell her to get her butt in on time next time.

OK. You can't do that. Tell her you have an opening for missed conferences on such and such a day at such and such a time. Then let the principal know when you've offered to reschedule.

And definitely start copying down all the nonsense.

6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Oct 31, 2008

OMGoodness! Definately document everything. Save all notes!Let the principal know and like shouldbeasleap said, do not say sorry, that will make it look like you did not give her a reminder or you double scheduled her. It is not your fault! Write it down that she was a "no show."
    Without this previous history of being a "problem like parent" I probably would have just rescheduled, but in this case it is different.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2008

Document document document.

Get a notebook and keep a file of every bizarre or rude thing this parent does, along with dates and times. Keep your principal in the loop, as of this morning.

8. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 31, 2008

thanks!