No set classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MrsRed, May 20, 2014.

1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

May 20, 2014

I have accepted a position at a different school next year. The P advised me during the interview process that typically, teachers don't have an assigned classroom. There is a teacher office room where every teacher has a desk, but I most likely won't have the same room every period. Anyone have experience with this type of situation? Any advice?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2014

The high school I attended was like this. Most teachers had briefcases or media carts for their stuff and just brought it to class each period. Because it was just how things worked at our school, it wasn't weird or anything. Everyone handled it just fine.

4. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

May 21, 2014

I am currently in this situation. As nice as it would be to have a single classroom, it just isnt possible at my school. I have teach in two different rooms and some other teachers go to as many as 3 different rooms. Since every room has closet space, I was able to secure a self in each room to put daily supplies I would need and then I just bring any other supplies as I need them. Some teachers also work off of a cart that they push around from classroom to classroom. It isnt ideal but it is what we have to work with.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 21, 2014

I have never floated and have no desire to. I think I'd die. So much of my classroom management depends on being at the door when students arrive to class and having everything ready for them the moment they walk in.

I do so many things during our 90 minute blocks that require a variety of supplies and equipment. I can't imagine either lugging it with me to every room or keeping the class engaged with fewer activities.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 21, 2014

That's how it is at the juvenile hall here and I hated it when I subbed there last year. Every teacher 'technically' had their own classroom, but there was no point, because they usually met up in one room in the morning and then had lunch together there, etc. Each teacher went to a different classroom for each period, pushing a hard to navigate media cart with everything on it: textbooks and anything for the lesson. Even my water bottle.

I mostly didn't like it because all my lessons are technology driven, so in each class I would have to set up the Powerpoint, etc.
    I guess I could get used to it, but I definitely like to have my own classroom.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 22, 2014

I think that would probably teach me to be VERY organized and fit all of my lessons and labs into unit boxes that I would pull out. I think it can be done, but if you don't have a lot of time to get between classes and get set up it might be somewhat stressful. If it were me, I would plan some kind of long starter to get the kids working on something while I set up the more elaborate parts of the lesson.

As Linguist mentioned, technology could be an issue. In that case I would bring my own laptop and just connect it to whatever projector was there (hopefully it's working). Since it could be an issue anyway, I would also probably learn to have some kind of alternate non-tech lesson planned just in case.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 22, 2014

Also, don't assume that just because there is technology in the room for the teacher ahead of you, that it will be available for you as well. Much of what is in my room belongs to ME. I would be hesitant to share it with some of my coworkers. Others would be welcome to use it. It would depend upon how well they treated such things.

One of my colleagues was passed over for a projector years ago. Out of desperation she bought her own. Which meant she was also responsible for replacing the VERY expensive bulbs when they went out. She understandably removed the projector when another teacher floated into her room. The teacher got angry, the tech guru and principal got angry, but what could they do? Having another person use the projector every day would reduce its lifespan by 25%.

9. Teach77

Teach77 New Member

May 23, 2014

I had to do it once and it was terrible. I even had to go to different buildings. I left that school ASAP. Another year, I had to give up my classroom during my planning period so that a coach could use the room during the one period he had to "teach". Thankfully that issue was resolved within a few weeks. It's impossible to "plan" on your planning period when you cannot use your room. Getting papers graded? Forget about it.

10. corvuscorax

corvuscorax New Member

May 31, 2014

I have been teaching out of three different classrooms on two different campuses for four subjects! The middle school was recently moved to our high school and is located on a lower campus and we need to hike up and down a big hill to go back and forth. I teach 7th grade math, 8th grade math, 10th grade life science and food science for 9-12. It has been a challenge! I carry a backpack like the students with my gradebook and I have a desk in a workroom at the high school that is my homebase. For advice I would say to have a gradebook that you can carry with you. Have somewhere in each classroom that you can keep important things like teacher editions and graded and ungraded work. Hopefully you can have bulletin board space or something where you can post an agenda and grades. Stay flexible and plan your lessons in advance. Good luck!

11. warbler1998

warbler1998 New Member

May 31, 2014

I don't have a classroom this year and it has been challenging, especially because I teach science and have the added element of prepping for labs. It is very hard when the teachers you share a room with don't do the same labs as you or you can't teach at the same pace.

You also have to work really hard on classroom management, it was impossible for me to stand at the door and greet students because I had to unpack my laptop and set up technology. And sometimes you don't know technology (like the projector) is not working until you get there, so you always need to have a plan B which can be really hard as a new teacher and hard to carry additional assignments. The previous teacher would not always erase the board so I had to unpack and erase the board. I always had a warm up on a small sliver of the board that I would write the day before. Classroom management is basically contingent upon the teacher because you can't use the classroom to represent your style or set up for routines/procedures (can't decorate, etc). For example, I had to have different management techniques in the different classrooms because there were different desk arrangements. If they were my classrooms, I would have set the classroom up differently. One teacher didn't give me any space in the front desk and I did not feel welcome in that classroom. It's a very weird feeling when students walk into the classroom everyday and have a connection to it and think it's their classroom but as a teacher I felt like I was a guest all of the time.

You have to be very organized, which I am, otherwise it is very easy to lose papers, etc. What's hard is you basically have to carry everything with you all of the time. During your prep you don't really have time to grade anything. I basically used my prep to recompose myself and supplies for the next classroom. I could never get anything done because I was always packing up and moving somewhere else. If you ask any teacher if they would like their own classroom they will say yes. Teaching is hard enough, so adding the element of not having a classroom makes it even harder and more time consuming.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 31, 2014

I actually find it impossible to plan and grade IN my room. Lol! We have no A/C so I seek out the haven of the empty meeting room which does have A/C and do my grading and planning on the computer there.

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 8, 2014

For thirteen out of the past fourteen years, I have taught out of a bag and floated from room to room. In my current school, everyone does, so it's just part of the culture. In my previous school, not everyone floated, so there were some nasty, toxic, territorial disputes.

The previous posts about organization are spot on. It is extremely hard to stay organized, but extra important to do so. I assign each class a color and keep the materials for each one in a correspondingly colored folder. This way I can see what I need at a glance.

One trick I did was triple redundancy. I used three rooms, so I got three sets of the things I used frequently and stashed them in each room.

Also, invest in a good, capacious bag. Some teachers I know use rolling airline luggage to float.