No rug.... no biggie??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Aug 17, 2011.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

My school is starting Daily 5 and we are also doing Morning Meeting. I want my students to gather in a seperate area but I don't have a rug. I teach 5th grade so the kids are pretty big at this point. Any thoughts on how to handle this?? I'm contemplating having them bring chairs over but I can imagine this being a disaster, especially if we do it twice, at least. Is it awkward to sit on tile?? Should I cave and get a rug?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2011

I have never had a rug and it's fine. Can they just sit on the floor?

4. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I had a carpeted area that was taken out of my room my first year teaching... I wasn't happy about it, but the kids are just fine on the floor.

5. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

They certainly can sit on the floor, I've just never had them sit on tile before because I've always had some sort of carpet. I just didn't know if that was ok - it's ok to me, but sometimes too much is ok to me haha!

6. bowler

bowler Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

They will be fine on the floor. Maybe have the back row bring chairs, and rotate who sits there.

7. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

I think it should be fine. Last year when I was self-contained I had a rug and my boys refused to sit on it and only wanted to sit on chairs. I finally realized that it was not worth the fight and just let them pull up chairs. Granted I only had 9, but in my experience a lot of older kids do not like sitting on the rugs anyway.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2011

I think it would be fine, but I know Walmart has some cheap area rugs right now for $20. I have seen them for pretty cheap at many stores, because everyone is shopping for dorm rooms this time of year. I know it stinks to spend your own money, but this is a good time of year to find cheap rugs.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2011

Are you not allowed to have a rug or do you not want to spend the money? I personally wouldn't have the kids sitting on cold, hard tile unless I was doing so as well. I also wouldn't want to have them moving chairs around all day. How about:
    carpet squares or
    benches made from crates and wood

I think it's important to define the area.

10. Gracie44

Gracie44 Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I like the carper squares idea. Sometimes carpet stores will give you free samples for styles they no longer carry. Be sure to bring your teacher Id and a letter on school letter head asking for the charitable donation. They might be able to write it off for taxes.

11. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

No we are allowed to, I just don't want to spend a ton on one. I will definitely inquire about a donation though!

12. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 19, 2011

Carpet squares aren't as easy to come by anymore--at least not in my area. However, 5x7 rugs are usually around $20-$30 this time of year with the college stuff. I teach 5th grade and my kids really prefer the carpet (I have a 5x7 rug and carpet squares). Some don't mind the floor but it just keeps the peace with the ones who don't want to mess up their clothes--and it's a treat since they are normally at deks.