No Room For Class Library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lareed, Jul 11, 2009.

1. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I need some suggestions on what to do with my classroom library. I have already sorted it into the groupings I want. I just don't have enough room to store everything! I have two built in bookshelves with three shelves each. It's about 5' long and 3' tall. I also have a bookshelf I brought in. My built in shelf is placed in the back corner of my room. I have no wall space already (one whole wall is windows!). I don't want to spread my books all over the classroom like last year but I have no idea how to make room! Any suggestions? My husband is very handy and could easily make a bookshelf, but I want to know if anyone knows of a kind that makes the most of its space.

I have exactly 1 month from today to get it done!!

Thanks so much!!

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I have a lonnnnng book shelf that fits under my white board (it has two shelves). I have my books in baskets on those shelves.

I also got rid of my teacher desk to make space for me to meet with my kids, and then I used my old meeting space for my bookshelf.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

i have too many books too. i am just being choosey which one i place in the library for kids to pick.

i have a long shelf in the back that is too high for the kids. I place all my other books there where I can find in a heartbeat.

5. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 11, 2009

i need a picture to help you

6. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

Space Issue

We have that problem too.....one wall is all windows and they built us this ridiculously long computer table that takes up too much room. Any creative ideas would be wonderful.:dizzy:

7. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

A former teacher I worked with used gutters and lined the bottom of one long wall with them (she taught pre-K.) They made an excellent way to display books with the covers out like you are supposed to, and plus it was a cheap solution!

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

This site was posted on here a bit ago that has storage ideas...
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/spaceandplaces/pool/

Check out the last couple pics on page 3 on this site You can take shelf wood from like Lowes & put it on cinder blocks. The pic I saw used like 4 ft by 36 inch white board on blue painted blocks. It looks very cool & is cheap to do. The blocks are less than 1.50 and the boards are like $10. I was going to do that this year under my windows & boards b-c they take up 3 of my 4 walls. :D

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

A member here has photos posted on her web site that illustrate just what you are talking about. I can't remember who it is -- maybe someone else here can help? Her bulletin board is pink and there is a palm tree in the corner. I have a copy of the photo, but don't want to reproduce it here w/o permission. The shelves are long, under the board height, and built with cinder blocks and shelving.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 11, 2009

Stacking crates can fit under windows as well.

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 11, 2009

I also have a wall of windows but no built in storage. I put my bookshelves under the windows and the top half of the windows still let in plenty of light.

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

If you need cheap bookshelves, buy the 4 shelf plastic shelves you normally see in garages, like these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8282890

(You can get them even cheaper, like $15)

When you assemble them, it's easy to make two 2-shelf units. I bought 4 of these units for about $60 at Menards and have plenty of "bookshelves" now, plus they're very durable.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2009

I had a wall of windows as well. I just collected random bookshelves to use in front of them.

[​IMG]

14. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I will try to take pictures on Monday so then you have a better idea of what I have to work with. In front of the windows is the heating and air unit. I have my room all arranged so the pictures won't be too cluttered.

Thanks for all the input so far. I will post pics tomorrow!

15. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks for the pic Jem! I have a wall of 3 huge windows and I was sad thinking, "What am I going to do about my books?" I totally forgot about this option because my windows are tall, too and shelves won't block out the light. That makes sense!

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

Ooooooooooooooh-air conditioning unit. That DOES complicate things. I'll keep thinking.

17. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Love this

Hi Love the pics...
    wish I could do that we aren't allowed to put anyting in front of the windows becasue of fire codes.......frustrating:dizzy:

18. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

are those plastic shelves sturdy enough? Will they topple over on the kids?

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

What about bookshelves under blackboards and bulletin boards? If you don't have access to some bookshelves (make friends with and ask the custodians!!;) ), you could always get creative with milk crates, cartons...Ms. Powell's site http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/organization.html used to have ideas for book storage, I think she begged/took empty display cartons from stores and used those- you could cover with wallpaper (get free wallpaper books from paint and wallpaper store) and line up along perimeter of meeting area....Cruise the Dollar Store for colorful bins and baskets, check Freecycle/garage sales for cheapie book shelves...Ask the custodians (again, make them and the school secretaries your best friends) to secure any lightweight shelving to the wall with brackets. ;)